MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Non-school? andrew22 General Discussion 7 01-20-2010 01:16 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

preparing for med school/ pharm school

Old 07-20-2011 at 11:09 AM   #46
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
I meant take biochem 2ee3 in third and then take either bio 2ee3 in 2nd and 2a03 in third or vice versa. Biochem 2ee3 is easy enough for third year. Also if you're in lifesci your courseload really doesn't have to be that difficult, I actually didn't find third year courses that bad because I had a nice mix of hard sci courses with easy electives.

I'm in honours biology , but that's pretty much the same as life sci haha. Right now I'm thinking of dropping bio2ee3 and taking a course that I may enjoy more...I just can't decide WHAT. I have econ1b03 for second term right now. I don't think I'm going to rush my prerequisites too much, since I need to maintain a 75 for each of the prerequisites and I already have 8/10 prerequisites in second year (eep).
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:22 AM   #47
Angoose
Elite Member

Someone just mentioned that I could take courses online. Is anyone familiar with ILC? I didn't take physics 11/12, but took physics1l03. UofT requires l03 and b03 if we didn't take 12 physics. So, I'm wondering if I can just do physics 11 online during the year, and then maybe physics 12 in summer school. Are university students allowed to go back to high school to complete summer school/night school courses? How much does it cost usually?
Old 07-20-2011 at 11:46 AM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I was considering taking it in 3rd year, but after hearing what Jhan said about the crazy workload in 3rd I'm kind of rethinking it. If I leave it until 3rd year I'll be taking bio2ee3 and bio2a03 in the same year, which have a lab each...and if any of my other courses have labs I'm not sure if it'll be too much. Has anyone taken psych2ap3/2b03. I'm wondering if the required reading/memorization is as intense as bio2ee3.
Bio 2EE3 lab was easy. I don't even remember doing much for that lab.

Quote:
I'm in honours biology , but that's pretty much the same as life sci haha. Right now I'm thinking of dropping bio2ee3 and taking a course that I may enjoy more...I just can't decide WHAT. I have econ1b03 for second term right now. I don't think I'm going to rush my prerequisites too much, since I need to maintain a 75 for each of the prerequisites and I already have 8/10 prerequisites in second year (eep).
Honours biology doesn't have a lab course so you definitively won't have a crazy workload like I did.
Old 07-21-2011 at 08:49 PM   #49
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Bio 2EE3 lab was easy. I don't even remember doing much for that lab.

Honours biology doesn't have a lab course so you definitively won't have a crazy workload like I did.
True, the only labs I have second year are orgo, since I'm putting off bio2a03 until third year. If only bio2ee3 wasn't a night class. 7-10 seems like such a pain on a Monday night :'(, plus all the readddddinnngsssss.
Old 07-21-2011 at 08:51 PM   #50
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
True, the only labs I have second year are orgo, since I'm putting off bio2a03 until third year. If only bio2ee3 wasn't a night class. 7-10 seems like such a pain on a Monday night :'(, plus all the readddddinnngsssss.
Bio2EE3 has a lab too...
Old 07-21-2011 at 08:52 PM   #51
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It was a night class in my year too, wonder if it was a night class last year. We never ended really late though.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:02 PM   #52
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
It was a night class in my year too, wonder if it was a night class last year. We never ended really late though.
Yep, it's been on Monday nights for at least three years straight.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:20 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yep, it's been on Monday nights for at least three years straight.
Yeah, that sucks. But if you have learned a course without going to lectures before, then this could be another one of those courses. I attended less than half of the lectures. But obviously everyone should attend lectures in the beginning (while learning from the book at home) to see if they can do without lectures.

Just wondering, have they revamped the labs? I remember in my year it was quite disorganized and pretty much useless... could have been my TA but I doubt it. I don't remember actually "learning" anything from it, just following random steps brainlessly... or did you take it the same year I did?
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:26 PM   #54
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks. But if you have learned a course without going to lectures before, then this could be another one of those courses. I attended less than half of the lectures. But obviously everyone should attend lectures in the beginning (while learning from the book at home) to see if they can do without lectures.

Just wondering, have they revamped the labs? I remember in my year it was quite disorganized and pretty much useless... could have been my TA but I doubt it. I don't remember actually "learning" anything from it, just following random steps brainlessly... or did you take it the same year I did?
I'm just afraid I'll fall asleep during the night class -_- hahaha. Is the material at least interesting? If it's pretty cool then reading through that monster text may not be as bad. Bio2b03 seems to have some interesting material (Hopefully), while chemistry is just whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aat. Towards the end in chem1aa3, I did some of the readings, but for some reason it wasn't as helpful as it was for biology? I'd read the text and not remember much from it (like when I tried the practice problems I still wouldn't understand). This is part of my dilemma about whether or not to take bio2ee3. I feel like I may need to spend a lot more time than everyone else on orgo (and maybe still get trounced :().
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:35 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I'm just afraid I'll fall asleep during the night class -_- hahaha. Is the material at least interesting? If it's pretty cool then reading through that monster text may not be as bad. Bio2b03 seems to have some interesting material (Hopefully), while chemistry is just whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aat. Towards the end in chem1aa3, I did some of the readings, but for some reason it wasn't as helpful as it was for biology? I'd read the text and not remember much from it (like when I tried the practice problems I still wouldn't understand). This is part of my dilemma about whether or not to take bio2ee3. I feel like I may need to spend a lot more time than everyone else on orgo (and maybe still get trounced :().
Interest is subjective. I personally liked the material when read from the book, not so much during lecture which is why I stopped attending.

I think a lot of people are like that for chemistry. At least the people I know since we all stopped taking chemistry after orgo. Some people have a knack for chemistry but I think a lot of people have a hard time learning it.
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:37 PM   #56
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Interest is subjective. I personally liked the material when read from the book, not so much during lecture which is why I stopped attending.

I think a lot of people are like that for chemistry. At least the people I know since we all stopped taking chemistry after orgo. Some people have a knack for chemistry but I think a lot of people have a hard time learning it.

Are third year courses basically the same as fourth year courses? I'm kind of thinking I should just take it slow...and maybe switch bio2ee3 for a psychology course or something a bit more interesting, so I can focus on chem and hopefully not fail :S.
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:49 PM   #57
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Are third year courses basically the same as fourth year courses? I'm kind of thinking I should just take it slow...and maybe switch bio2ee3 for a psychology course or something a bit more interesting, so I can focus on chem and hopefully not fail :S.
I can't say for sure as I haven't done my fourth year yet. However, from the descriptions I read, the courses just get more and more specific as you move up each level.

For instance:
Year 1: General Biology
Year 2: Genetics
Year 3: Eukaryotic Genetics
Year 4: Cancer
Old 07-22-2011 at 04:30 PM   #58
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
I can't say for sure as I haven't done my fourth year yet. However, from the descriptions I read, the courses just get more and more specific as you move up each level.

For instance:
Year 1: General Biology
Year 2: Genetics
Year 3: Eukaryotic Genetics
Year 4: Cancer

I don't think McMaster specifies how many 4th year courses you need in order to get your degree, right? It just says however many units from level 3/4 courses on the site atm. I just don't want to end up taking too many 1st/2nd/3rd year courses and having them go like "NUB, YOU NEEDZ MOAR 4th year COURZES"
Old 07-22-2011 at 04:50 PM   #59
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I don't think McMaster specifies how many 4th year courses you need in order to get your degree, right? It just says however many units from level 3/4 courses on the site atm. I just don't want to end up taking too many 1st/2nd/3rd year courses and having them go like "NUB, YOU NEEDZ MOAR 4th year COURZES"
You just have to follow what it says in the undergraduate calendar for your specific program. That's everything you need to graduate.