MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IS there any way to take a course without HAVING the prerequisite? rcmp1234 Academics 16 02-27-2011 12:39 AM
How to Request a Course Waiver goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-20-2010 09:01 PM
Prerequisite Waiver and Solar resh.jyoti Academics 6 06-12-2010 10:19 AM
Unused Course Waiver myoozik General Discussion 5 07-14-2009 10:07 AM

Prerequisite Waiver for Engineering

Old 04-27-2011 at 01:30 PM   #1
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Prerequisite Waiver for Engineering
I failed a course this term that is a prerequisite for three of my courses next year.
How exactly do I use the Prerequisite Waiver for Engineering? I found the pdf for the form on the website, so do I just print it out, fill in my information and give it to the Materials or Engineering offices?
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:03 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
I failed a course this term that is a prerequisite for three of my courses next year.
How exactly do I use the Prerequisite Waiver for Engineering? I found the pdf for the form on the website, so do I just print it out, fill in my information and give it to the Materials or Engineering offices?
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was 2D03.

If I'm right, then the situation isn't nearly as simple as getting a prereq form. I had a talk with Jane Mah, the department admin, and I was told that I'd need permission directly from the course instructors.

Ken Coley didn't hesitate to give me permission to take 3F03, but if Petric is teaching 3C04 again, he might be a tougher sell. I managed to get permission after a long talk, but be prepared to have a good reason as to why he should let you take it.

I'm in Society so I haven't taken 3B03 yet, but Zhitomirsky (the Crystals prof) seems like a pretty easy-going guy. He also gave two of my non-Society friends permission to take it this year too, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If worst comes to worst, stretching the program out over five years would really ease your workload. Even if you take all your electives in the summer (assuming you have any left), you'd still be taking no less than six courses a term provided that you don't fail anything else (not that you will...). I'm also going to let you know that the work doesn't get any easier, so even if you get permission, it's the choice I'd recommend.

Regardless, it's your call. Good luck with the negotiations.
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:12 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You always have to go to the professor and they have to approve you and sign it... the materials office won't/can't do anything if the professor says no.
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:29 PM   #4
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leech3 View Post
The professor can waive it, send him/her an e-mail explaining the situation. Most of the time they don't care and will waive it, but you'll get some sticklers.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011 at 02:35 PM   #5
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was 2D03.

If I'm right, then the situation isn't nearly as simple as getting a prereq form. I had a talk with Jane Mah, the department admin, and I was told that I'd need permission directly from the course instructors.

Ken Coley didn't hesitate to give me permission to take 3F03, but if Petric is teaching 3C04 again, he might be a tougher sell. I managed to get permission after a long talk, but be prepared to have a good reason as to why he should let you take it.

I'm in Society so I haven't taken 3B03 yet, but Zhitomirsky (the Crystals prof) seems like a pretty easy-going guy. He also gave two of my non-Society friends permission to take it this year too, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If worst comes to worst, stretching the program out over five years would really ease your workload. Even if you take all your electives in the summer (assuming you have any left), you'd still be taking no less than six courses a term provided that you don't fail anything else (not that you will...). I'm also going to let you know that the work doesn't get any easier, so even if you get permission, it's the choice I'd recommend.

Regardless, it's your call. Good luck with the negotiations.
Yup, it was 2D03.
I'll try talking to those profs. If that doesn't work, I'll stay another year and stretch out the program like you mentioned.

Thanks for the help man.