MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
Residence Assignments Out!! manu Residence & Housing 91 07-22-2009 11:10 PM
Residence Assignments Available ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-29-2009 11:09 AM
Room Assignments!! ishk33 Residence & Housing 6 07-10-2008 03:07 PM
Which Presentations Are Most Important? dimoxyel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-04-2008 09:38 AM

Presentations, group assignments in classes? HELP

Old 05-23-2009 at 02:45 PM   #16
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvan1 View Post
In first year engineering, you only have to speak in front of a group once for a final project, and you stand up with 4 or 5 other people, a group presentation. This happens at the end of the year and there are 10 other groups waiting to present in the room.

Know that most people hate speaking in front of a group and have anxiety. So you're not alone with this.

One good thing about university is that all the idiots who make fun in high-school are gone and are all working at McDonalds forever.

So your new audience is now people who want you to succeed when you get up to speak.

So 'don't be afraid of being nervous' when you get up to talk, anxiety/nervousness is natural.

Just be nervous and accept it, and try to speak your best.

And remember that everyone in the room is on your side and wants you to win.
Ya in Engineering you dont really do a whole lot of presentations except this one for your final project which is about 10 min. with a group of 4 other people. For tutorials the only ones that really tried to force people up to the front of the class were in Physics tutorials. No one would volunteer to solve a question on the whiteboard so it got to the point where the TA's just picked at random, then they sorta gave up after a while lol.

My other courses other then the engineering ones like history 1bb3 had us during tutorials, sit at a table with about 9 other people and a TA just discussing the readings. The TA would just asking questions at random to each person at the table and you would have to tie the answer in with the readings so it was very difficult and embarassing if you did not know the material.
Old 05-23-2009 at 03:10 PM   #17
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
it was very difficult and embarassing if you did not know the material.
For history classes readings are key! Especially the primary sources.
Old 05-23-2009 at 04:35 PM   #18
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Yeah guys but she is in Sociology! First Year Sociology is about either the T.A presenting a topic or one person assigned randomly to different topics presenting. Giving summaries, Key points but most off all prompting discussion by throwing questions up in the air. If Blair wants to major in Socio, I'm assuming she would also take alot of Polisci,Anthropology and History which are quite similar. So She has to present sometime or the other over the next three four years regularly!

But on a side note the first step to practicing public speaking is to participate in class room discussions. Even though you'll see most people dozing of or on facebook in most tutorials and a few outspoken ones arguing amongst themselves, speaking up then is actually a good way to start. Instead of everyone looking at you in presentations, you'll only have two or three eyes on you this way!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-23-2009 at 05:54 PM   #19
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Humanities and Soc Sci tutorials are pretty similar, at least in my experience so far. Mostly they consist of discussion about the lecture material as well as the readings. Depending on the course/TA you might do a little 2 minute presentation explaining a primary source, for example, and then that will lead into the discussion for that class. I think I had this kind of presentations in about 4 or 5 of my classes this whole year.
I had one group presentation, that one was also short, about 5 minutes in length.

I used to be really shy, but I've found that the more I have to speak in front of people and present, the easier it gets for me. It's taken some time, but don't get discouraged! And by the time you get around to presentations you'll probably have gotten to know the people in your tutorial a little, so it won't be quite so intimidating (at least, that's the case for me)

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2009 at 05:09 PM   #20
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I'm going into fourth year Sociology, and I've only had to do one presentation in any of my sociology courses. For the one class where I did a presentation, I offered to do a summary of one of the readings, which was just me sitting in my chair and reading from a sheet of paper and it wasn't graded. Also, not everyone had to do one of these.

The only courses I've had to do presentations for were Women in Religion and Theory and Practice of Nonviolence (both religious studies), and it was with a partner and in front of a very small tutorial group.

As others have suggested, I would go and talk to the CSD about your social anxiety disorder. They're very good at coming up with coping strategies with students, and have some great workshops!
Old 05-25-2009 at 09:43 PM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I took Sociology in first year, 1A06. Our participation mark in tutorials depended on if you attended & participated in discussion (5%), and if you did a presentation (5%) that was a chapter summary, but with a partner or a group.

However, the TA did it this way, and it's not necessarily the same every year. Anyway, no matter what program you're in, I think at some point you might end up doing a presentation. Talking in class generally is important, and I find it's easier if you sit right at the front of the class so you don't really need to look at anyone.

I have the same phobia, but it has gotten better (not completely) over the years. Before, I'd be really nauseous, have to go to the bathroom and feel sick and nervous days and days in advance. I even forwent a presentation in high school that was like 10% of my mark because I was nervous. I imagine you feel some of these things, and I totally understand you.

It's not easy talking in front of the class, and so far in all my classes, I at least had a partner. Remember though, that these presentations happen in tutorials -- tutorials are often very small, less people = less stress in presenting.

Definitely talk to your TAs, most of the time, they are very very understanding and will help you in whatever way they can. Good luck really, and just try to put yourself out there. I eventually started to not feel as nervous because I always tried to do a kick ass job in my presentations, and I got more involved in school -- maybe that can help too. I don't think you have a disorder, it's very normal to feel really nervous, of course people experience it at different levels.

Last edited by feonateresa : 05-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 at 09:34 PM   #22
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

You can get exempt for a lot of them. This wont help you later on in life though. If public speaking is your biggest fear, then you have a pretty damn good life. You may not like it, but things could be much, much worse.