MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found: PRESTO CARD ZSimon General Discussion 3 12-03-2012 10:05 PM
Presto Card at COMPASS infinitemac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-02-2012 11:33 PM
No barcode on Presto card SweetyTweety Automotive & Transportation 5 08-21-2012 10:17 AM
PRESTO Card Abhimint General Discussion 41 07-28-2012 03:56 PM
Presto Card Promo Leeoku MacInsiders Announcements 35 07-09-2012 04:09 PM

Presto card NFC on smartphones (just an idea)

Old 03-08-2013 at 05:39 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Presto card NFC on smartphones (just an idea)
Is possible hook up ur NFC enabled smart phone to work your presto card?

I think that it most likely would require an app. All its really doing is sending a signal notifying the server that you tapped on and off, from the tapping machine. There is no data required, so all we need are the values stored on the Presto card.

Is this something we can expect in the near future? Considering we can make mobile payments today...

Last edited by jon.john23 : 03-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Vessi likes this.
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:00 PM   #2
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Definitely both use RFID, though it depends on:
1. the frequency which the cards and nfc operate on
2. if there is such an app that allows you to push data over RFID
3. and if there is encryption on the card.

IIRC there are two 13.56MHZ, and 125KHZ for passive tags. Not sure about encrption but if the cards werent i would assume the whole system is seriously flawed, as you can pickup an RFID duplicator, and just walk around duplicating cards just by being close to them.
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:05 PM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Presto cards, when scanned with an NFC enabled smartphone, get you two tags.

Both are encrypted if memory serves me right. Older ones have a crackable tag but they replaced it later on. The issue here is that on current phones, it's quite difficult to use tag emulation mode.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-android-phone

I emailed the Presto team about creating an app last summer but they didn't respond. I really want to tap my phone on the Presto machine some time though, just to see what the phone detects. It'll probably give me an option to beam something <_<
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:18 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Possible? yes
Likely? no
-Several cities rely on paying for their very expensive transit systems with consumer fares and are only going to trust relatively proven technology. I think the best we can ask for is an external chip (a sticker really) connected to a case or something that can then authorize and communicate with the phone. That separation layer adds significant security, especially for android phones where root access is very common. Similar technologies are being evolved for VISA payments.
-Another problem mentioned above is frequencies. However the core problem here is the investment in the readers (two per bus, dozens per station/train etc) which are extremely expensive. For example:

Toronto: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...operators.html

Costs are even higher in Ottawa where (despite a smaller system) there have been delays due to people getting on the bus for free and the frequent use of backdoors as entry points.

Ill also throw this out there: there will not be any real pressure to implement Phone NFC tech into anything real until Apple *cough* "revolutionizes" *cough* the technology by bringing an old version to an iPhone. With the exception of Samsung, Android/Other companies are too small and non-influential to push any real movement. Samsung is expected to roll out a massive VISA supported "wallet" payment program with the S IV but I doubt such tech will reach mainstream transportation for a long time.
Old 03-08-2013 at 07:35 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

What if you just put your presto card in between your phone and the skin/case?
Old 03-08-2013 at 08:19 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Lol.
I think the app would do more than just authenticate. It would be a much faster way to see the balance and top up. It would also tell you the cost of the current trip and how much time is left before you can't transfer for free.
Old 03-08-2013 at 08:29 PM   #7
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

I see alot of ppl doing that, but id rather run it natively from the phone. PLus what Afzal said.
Also pretty cool and i like my phone naked! shiny nexus 4 back!

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-08-2013 at 10:16 PM   #8
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

jump to 58s

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 03-08-2013 at 10:42 PM   #9
jon.john23
Elite Member

that was awesome! Ill prolly try that out. Gotta crack another 6 bux, just incase