MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRESTO Card Abhimint General Discussion 41 07-28-2012 03:56 PM
Presto Card Promo Leeoku MacInsiders Announcements 35 07-09-2012 04:09 PM
PRESTO Card Question Abhimint General Discussion 12 06-12-2012 03:43 PM
GO Transit's Free Presto Card Promo! Ivan Q. Automotive & Transportation 13 09-02-2011 06:26 PM
Presto Card for Summer Transit Ish001 Automotive & Transportation 6 05-23-2011 01:28 PM

No barcode on Presto card

Old 08-20-2012 at 09:48 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

No barcode on Presto card
So I just got my Presto card, put $200 on it, and was told that because I was a student, I would be able to get a discount. So he gave me my Presto card and said that I would need to reactivate it in 24 hours, then come back 24 hours after that with my student ID and he would turn it into a student balance account.

...But I don't have a barcode on my card. Am I supposed to? .. Or will they replace my card when I go back in 2 days?
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:09 PM   #2
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

There isnt suppose to be a barcode, your presto card number is on the bottom left though. That is all you need.

Remember the presto card doesnt work by scanning but rather by tapping.

SweetyTweety says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 08-20-2012 at 10:26 PM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

It uses encrypted NFC tags for authorization.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 12:26 AM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

NFC still trips me out.
Still have no idea how it works
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-21-2012 at 12:46 AM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
NFC still trips me out.
Still have no idea how it works
Meh, it's pretty simple.
Quote:
NFC works using magnetic induction: a reader emits a small electric current, which creates a magnetic field that in turn bridges the physical space between the devices. That field is received by a similar coil in the client device, where it is turned back into electrical impulses to communicate data such as identification number, status information, or any other information. So-called 'passive' NFC tags use the energy from the reader to encode their response, while 'active' or 'peer-to-peer' tags have their own power source and respond to the reader using their own electromagnetic fields.
http://apcmag.com/inside-nfc-how-nea...tion-works.htm

As for the actual data from NFC tags, it's short and mostly text-based data.

The Presto card, however, has two NFC tags according to what my Galaxy Nexus detected. Neither of them are writable from my phone and only one of them is readable. I think I read somewhere that I need a key to read the other one, but also that this particular version is vulnerable if you can get your hands on some expensive NFC gadgets.

Just a heads up, if your Presto card balance goes into negative, you have to go to a GO station to ask them to unblock it by paying the negative balance in cash. Doesn't matter how much you top up, that money won't show up until you do this.

Hopefully, this fall, when they release the next gen Presto. This will become slightly more sensible.

Last edited by Afzal : 08-21-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2012 at 10:17 AM   #6
CourtneyH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Technical mumbo jumbo!

Go to prestocard.ca and register your card using the number on the back and making up a four digit numberical password. 24 hours after that you go back with your student ID and they will convert your card to a student card. The actual card won't change, it's all done electronically. Then, you have to use the presto card on the bus/train within the week to finish the activation process.

Hope this helps!

SweetyTweety says thanks to CourtneyH for this post.

dreamer21 likes this.