MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Student Card Transit Pass stobbesays First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-29-2010 12:24 AM
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 123 08-20-2009 09:07 PM

Presto Card for Summer Transit

Old 05-22-2011 at 09:36 PM   #1
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Presto Card for Summer Transit
Heya guys,

I'm in summer school for the two semesters and I travel to and from school four days a week. I did some basic math and it seems way cheaper to purchase tickets vs buying a monthly pass.

With this in mind, the new Presto card system seems to be a worthy idea. It allows me to get a tax return if i make 30 one way trips within that month (which I will).

My only question is will I qualify for the student fare for the HSR? In other words, if I take this route, will I pay $2 or $2.55/ticket?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

-Ish
Old 05-22-2011 at 10:40 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I think the way it works is that to get the student discount on the presto card, you have to get the tickets inputted into your account, otherwise you'll get charged the regular $2.55 fare. That's what I've heard, but it doesn't hurt to call HSR and check.

p.s. compass is offering a discounted pass for the summer as well, which comes up to something like $71 a month I believe.

Last edited by anon491 : 05-22-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2011 at 10:51 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

are you sure it wouldnt be cheaper for you to just buy the discounted student month pass from compass instead of whatever you are planning since presto would charge full fare. lucky for you presto fully rolled out this may
Old 05-22-2011 at 11:12 PM   #4
Ish001

I know about the discounted monthly pass but it's from July to Aug. Actually all the month + passes go up to Aug 31st. Summer school ends on Aug 5th so that to me makes no sense.

I will definitely call the HSR on Tuesday to figure this out. Using this method will allow me to roughly 10-20 bucks a month. Since I live nearby a shopping plaza that pretty much has most of the things I need, I only use the bus to and from school.

Thanks anyway for the feedback!
Old 05-23-2011 at 10:42 AM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
are you sure it wouldnt be cheaper for you to just buy the discounted student month pass from compass instead of whatever you are planning since presto would charge full fare. lucky for you presto fully rolled out this may
$71 per month, divided by $2.55 is roughly 28 trips....roughly 36 if you managed to get the discounted price (or just bought bus tickets every time).

If you're making 30+ one way trips in a month, the student pass may not be such a bad option. Even with that additional month tacked on.
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:36 PM   #6
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
Heya guys,

I'm in summer school for the two semesters and I travel to and from school four days a week. I did some basic math and it seems way cheaper to purchase tickets vs buying a monthly pass.

With this in mind, the new Presto card system seems to be a worthy idea. It allows me to get a tax return if i make 30 one way trips within that month (which I will).

My only question is will I qualify for the student fare for the HSR? In other words, if I take this route, will I pay $2 or $2.55/ticket?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

-Ish
If you use the card it works out to $2 a ride, or the price of an adult ticket
Old 05-23-2011 at 01:28 PM   #7
Ish001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
$71 per month, divided by $2.55 is roughly 28 trips....roughly 36 if you managed to get the discounted price (or just bought bus tickets every time).
the problem with that month pass, if i understand it correctly, is it's only available for August.