MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 123 08-20-2009 09:07 PM
GO Transit Student Pass Jake General Discussion 54 08-06-2009 10:36 AM

GO Transit Student ID Card

UPDATE: According to GO Transit McMaster is the one to blame in this situation. I talked to the GO Transit Customer Service and they told me the following (although I'm still slightly confused because she contradicted herself)

Private Bulletin: August 24th

McMaster University has not forwarded the sticker information (Basically the picture) to GO Transit for the upcoming 2010/2011 session. Your old sticker is still valid until October (as usual). She asked me if I was a student last year.

I said yes, but we've received the new stickers and replaced our old ones already.

She then said yes, you can use the 2010/2011 sticker.

If anyone denies your the purchase of the Student Tickets then ask for the GO Transit supervisor. Tell them that it says we can use our McMaster ID Cards both on the McMaster site and on the GO Transit site.

Horribly service in my opinion, but why the hell hasn't McMaster sent GO Transit the sticker information yet? We got these stickers over a month ago. But McMaster is close until Monday so I have no way of contacting them until then.

I will continue to update this as I find out more information.

Ignore everything beyond this line.

GO Transit has yet again changed their post-secondary student rules again. This year all students that wish to buy student 10-rides or student monthly passes must apply for the GO Transit Student ID Card.

For all undergraduates:

Step 1: Obtain a letter from the
Office of the Registrar (Gilmour Hall Rm 108) that states you are a full-time student and includes the beginning and end dates of the session.

Step 2: Take this letter to
Parking Services (E.T. Clarke Centre) to get an GO Transit Student ID application form authorized by a University representative.

Step 3 (Choose one of the following):
  1. Take the signed form to Union Station Customer Service. The card will be printed on the spot. (Weekdays 7am-8pm, weekends/holidays 10:20am-6pm)
  2. Take the signed form to any GO Train station. It will be sent to Union Station processed, and then returned to the station of your choice for you to pick up. (Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing).
  3. Mail the signed form, along with a self-addressed, stamped return envelope to: Union Station, Customer Service, 140 Bay St., Toronto, M5J 2L5. (Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing).
If you are not an undergraduate student, please visit: http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid

macsci, nerual, Saleha, TheCrucible, _Luu_ all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

macsci likes this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:52 PM   #2
_Luu_
Elite Member
Program: Medical Radiation Sciences (Radiation Therapy)
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 184 Times
Major, major dislike.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:58 PM   #3
cjdzl
G0DFATHER
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 229 Times
this is such a pain!!!
why would they decide to change the rule when it was perfectly fine
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:12 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User
Program: Chemical Biology
Residence: Les Prince 08-09

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
this is such a pain!!!
why would they decide to change the rule when it was perfectly fine
Well, they might have had a lot of issues on their end, with people using invalid cards & whatnot...but even if what they did last year failed, they could have just gone back to the online system--the other universities all have it, and it's much more convenient. Of course, why would they want to make it EASY for us to pay them less money?

Old 08-26-2010 at 09:13 PM   #5
TheCrucible
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 52 Times
Why does the site http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid still say that we can use our mac IDs as long as they have the HSR sticker?

unless I'm missing something? =S
Old 08-26-2010
MeganB214
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:16 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
Why does the site http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid still say that we can use our mac IDs as long as they have the HSR sticker?

unless I'm missing something? =S
I guess it hasn't been updated. The process described on that site (and the one on this announcement) are the same, although the one on that site says:
Quote:
Full-time students, whose validation sticker does not possess the 'HSR' section, must proceed with the application process described below.
So I guess now everybody has to use that application process, instead of just full-time undergrads without the HSR sticker :(
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:24 PM   #7
TheCrucible

I guess...but when I looked the new changes effective September 4, 2010 on the GO Transit site http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/whatsnew.aspx , it says:

"Full-time Canadian university and college students are eligible for GO Transit student fares, and must always carry official GO Student ID while traveling to show during random ticket checks. The GO Student ID card allows travel at a discounted rate for the period of full-time study and must be renewed each new school year.

For students registered for seven months or more in full-time classes, the 2009-10 cards are valid until October 31, 2010.

Visit the Student ID page for more information on how to apply for and obtain a GO Student ID."

And when I visited the Student ID page, it still says the same thing about only needing our Mac ID.
Maybe that means that we don't need to fill out a form like other schools - instead we just go to Union, show our Mac ID with the HSR sticker, and they'll give us a GO Transit Student ID?
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:25 PM   #8
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady
Program: Statistics
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 103 Times
Faaaack
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:25 PM   #9
manaya
Program: Honours. Biology
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 26 Times
Yea I got this done in 1st year and found that it was completely unnecessary. I guess now it isn't!

Pretty inconvenient to get one tbh

Old 08-26-2010 at 09:28 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I guess...but when I looked the new changes effective September 4, 2010 on the GO Transit site http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/whatsnew.aspx , it says:

"Full-time Canadian university and college students are eligible for GO Transit student fares, and must always carry official GO Student ID while traveling to show during random ticket checks. The GO Student ID card allows travel at a discounted rate for the period of full-time study and must be renewed each new school year.

For students registered for seven months or more in full-time classes, the 2009-10 cards are valid until October 31, 2010.

Visit the Student ID page for more information on how to apply for and obtain a GO Student ID."

And when I visited the Student ID page, it still says the same thing about only needing our Mac ID.
Maybe that means that we don't need to fill out a form like other schools - instead we just go to Union, show our Mac ID with the HSR sticker, and they'll give us a GO Transit Student ID?
Yeah, that's why I was confused...but someone in another thread suggested that it could mean that you can use your Mac student ID to obtain a GO Transit card. It doesn't really sound like that, but it would make sense since another poster was not allowed to use their student card and called GO Transit and they also said you can't. It's all just worded badly and seemingly contradictory. Fail.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:36 PM   #11
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yeah, that's why I was confused...but someone in another thread suggested that it could mean that you can use your Mac student ID to obtain a GO Transit card. It doesn't really sound like that, but it would make sense since another poster was not allowed to use their student card and called GO Transit and they also said you can't. It's all just worded badly and seemingly contradictory. Fail.
Yay for contradictions

Anyway, I hope we just have to show our Mac ID. I'm going to Union pretty much everyday for the rest of August, so I might as well get it done now, if possible

Last edited by TheCrucible : 08-26-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: correcting error
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:13 PM   #12
Patrick.O
Program: Honours Business Informatics Co-op
Year: Alumni

Liked: 28 Times
I actually called GO Transit and they let me told me I did indeed need one of their GO Transit Student IDs but I could use my McMaster ID to get it, rather than going to the trouble of getting a letter.

TheCrucible says thanks to Patrick.O for this post.

m.lam likes this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:16 PM   #13
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
I actually called GO Transit and they let me told me I did indeed need one of their GO Transit Student IDs but I could use my McMaster ID to get it, rather than going to the trouble of getting a letter.
Really? Thank you, that's great to hear!
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:19 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Yay for contradictions

Anyway, I hope we just have to show our Mac ID. I'm going to Union pretty much everyday for the rest of August, so I might as well get it done now, if possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
When one of you manage to get it with your McMaster ID can you post it here? I know they said you can, but there's just so many contradictions that it'll be nice to know 100%. Thanks

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search