MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit Student ID Card jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 72 09-07-2010 11:06 PM
Using Summer student card as Bus pass confusion... goldfish101 Automotive & Transportation 2 05-01-2010 10:03 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
HSR Summer Student Pass HeatherH General Discussion 5 04-26-2009 02:32 PM

GO Transit Student Pass

Old 05-26-2009 at 03:17 PM   #1
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

GO Transit Student Pass
As I will be commuting next year from Mississauga, I need a GO Transit Student Pass (the one McMaster issues).

What is the process on getting one? How much do you save with buying the one from McMaster?

Thank you.

Last edited by Jake : 05-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Joseph, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Jake for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:26 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I <3 Compass-y questions! Anyways...

You do not buy passes from McMaster, you still buy them from the GO Transit commission, or a licensed GO Transit ticket retailer, which is Compass on campus.

It is in your best interest to apply for a GO Student ID, as that is proof that you are a student and that you are eligible to purchase either student monthly tickets or ten-ride passes. If you are asked for the GO ID and you do not have it you may face a fine. The GO ID saves you between 10%-30% on your ten-ride or monthly passes, but the specific amount is determined by the route you take.

The process of applying for your GO Student ID may be changing this year. However the Compass website will be updated if there is a change. You can read what the current process is here.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Jake, Joseph, _Luu_, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:27 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

To get one, log into Mugsi and under non-academic services you can apply for the student go card. You can't apply until Aug 10, 1 month before the year starts though. You would then have to pick it up at Compass in the MUSC, I believe they are available the Thursday after your applied.

You would save approximately 10-30% off your trip cost. You can go here: http://gotransit.ca/publicroot/en/fares/fndfare.aspx to figure out how much you save. Just put in your starting and finishing point and then it'll tell you how much each type of ticket costs. You should compare the student 10-ticket ride to the adult 10-ticket ride, or the student monthly pass to the adult monthly pass. It would also be wise to see how many times you will be commuting back and forth to see which is financially better, a 10-ticket ride or a monthly pass.

Edit: Ah, you beat me to it XD. I just want to know if there is an information on the McMaster website about the changes if they are happening.

Last edited by jhan523 : 05-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Jake, Joseph all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:29 PM   #4
Jake

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:31 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

As a rule of thumb, a monthly pass costs approximately the same as three ten ride passes.

So if you have class five days a week, it is cheaper for you to buy the monthly pass for all months with the exception of those you have exams...and possibly September depending on what day classes start.

BUT you should be attending every single day of Welcome Week, so you would start coming to Mac about four days before classes start.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Jake, Joseph all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:35 PM   #6
Jake

Alright, thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:37 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

That's why we're here (MacInsiders)!!

If you know of anyone else who's coming to Mac pass this site along to them! And if you know people who aren't...mock them because we're one of only a handful of sites in existence.

And yes, I'm a jerk.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:40 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, I'm so happy that mac has this website, it helps me so much with things I don't know. Every university should have one of these forums, but I can see how overwhelming it must be for larger universities. Love answering questions though ^-^

daisy likes this.
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:41 PM   #9
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
That's why we're here (MacInsiders)!!

If you know of anyone else who's coming to Mac pass this site along to them! And if you know people who aren't...mock them because we're one of only a handful of sites in existence.

And yes, I'm a jerk.
I sure will! I have tons of friends coming to McMaster. I'll be sure to mention this site to them.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:44 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I sure will! I have tons of friends coming to McMaster. I'll be sure to mention this site to them.

Cheers!
That's good, just remember to make tons of new friends too!
Old 05-26-2009 at 03:57 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, I'm so happy that mac has this website, it helps me so much with things I don't know. Every university should have one of these forums, but I can see how overwhelming it must be for larger universities. Love answering questions though ^-^
I'd disagree, actually. A larger site means more people answering questions, and faster. But someone from UTM wouldn't necessarily be able to help someone at St. George; especially with on-campus stuff.

Last edited by lorend : 05-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 at 12:48 AM   #12
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Thanks for all this useful information guys!

I was also considering to commute, however, I may decide to live on residence after all. Nevertheless, this is very useful information!

Old 05-27-2009 at 02:11 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I'd disagree, actually. A larger site means more people answering questions, and faster. But someone from UTM wouldn't necessarily be able to help someone at St. George; especially with on-campus stuff.
I don't know though, more people means more questions as well...
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:30 AM   #14
Jake

Okay so I need to apply for this GO ID card. I would need to apply on August 10? Will this GO ID card be for 1 term or both terms?
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:40 AM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The GO ID card last both terms, as well as the summer. It will say the date on the card itself. Mine says August 08-August 09 or something like that.

Apply anytime you want, and they will have your card ready when you go into Compass on August 10th.

EDIT: OH, yes, apply on August 1st actually... it will be ready the Thursday after you apply. Sorry about that.

Jake says thanks to feonateresa for this post.