MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 123 08-20-2009 09:07 PM
GO Transit Student Pass Jake General Discussion 54 08-06-2009 10:36 AM

GO Transit Student ID Card

Old 08-26-2010 at 10:24 PM   #15
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When one of you manage to get it with your McMaster ID can you post it here? I know they said you can, but there's just so many contradictions that it'll be nice to know 100%. Thanks
Will do, I'm probably going tomorrow so I'll post back and let you know.

jhan523 says thanks to Patrick.O for this post.

jhan523, m.lam like this.

Old 08-26-2010 at 11:42 PM   #16
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
WTF?

This is annoying. So we either have to get to Union station asap or we may not be able to purchase student 10-rides or a monthly pass at student prices for September due to the 2-4 week possible processing time.

That sucks butt.

I hope the student ID thing will work b/c I don't have time to get to Mac and get a letter and then get to Union station before school starts, I don't even really have time to go to Union really.

Damn.

Old 08-26-2010 at 11:43 PM   #17
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
WTF?

This is annoying. So we either have to get to Union station asap or we may not be able to purchase student 10-rides or a monthly pass at student prices for September due to the 2-4 week possible processing time.

That sucks butt.

I hope the student ID thing will work b/c I don't have time to get to Mac and get a letter and then get to Union station before school starts, I don't even really have time to go to Union really.

Damn.
The guy at the station said something about having one mailed in? But he said it'd take a month, and I wasn't really paying attention at that point since I live in Toronto.

Old 08-26-2010 at 11:47 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
The guy at the station said something about having one mailed in? But he said it'd take a month, and I wasn't really paying attention at that point since I live in Toronto.
Yeah, but you need the form. It's option 3 in step 3.

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:27 PM   #19
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times
Are you kidding me? A month for it to mail it in? ...

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:33 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Are you kidding me? A month for it to mail it in? ...
2-4 weeks, so a month maximum. It'll probably take 2 weeks: 3-4 business days to mail the forms, 3ish business days to process the forms/print out the cards and 3-4 business days to send the card back through the mail.

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:42 PM   #21
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Wait, so can we only get this ID at Union? Or can we get it at other stops (not Mac, but other stops)?

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:43 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Wait, so can we only get this ID at Union? Or can we get it at other stops (not Mac, but other stops)?
See option 2 in step 3.

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:13 PM   #23
sew12
Elite Member

This is so stupid. If all it is is a stupid little ID card confirming that you are in fact a student they should be able to process them at all GO locations that students frequent. Why should everyone have to either get to Union station or wait for it to be processed by mail.

Transit is expensive, students need these discounts and it looks like people won't be able to get them in September since this change has only come up now.

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:15 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
This is so stupid. If all it is is a stupid little ID card confirming that you are in fact a student they should be able to process them at all GO locations that students frequent. Why should everyone have to either get to Union station or wait for it to be processed by mail.

Transit is expensive, students need these discounts and it looks like people won't be able to get them in September since this change has only come up now.
Is there customer service at other stations? I've never seen them before... I know they have people selling tickets but I've never seen another room where they have customer service. I know Union Station has an entire room dedicated to it.

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:19 PM   #25
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
See option 2 in step 3.
Nah, I mean assuming that Patrick O is right...

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:22 PM   #26
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Is there customer service at other stations? I've never seen them before... I know they have people selling tickets but I've never seen another room where they have customer service. I know Union Station has an entire room dedicated to it.
Does that matter?

The ticket sellers could easily process this kind of thing, even if they just did it during non-peak hours or something. There's lots of times when I get home from school at the Go station and the ticket agent is just sitting there doing nothing. Obviously it would be inconvenient for them to have to do this during the morning or evening rush but at off-times when they're not selling many tickets they could be processing a few of these for students who are customers of Go transit and will be giving them money for 4+ years depending on if they commute every year or even end up commuting with Go for their job etc.

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:27 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Does that matter?

The ticket sellers could easily process this kind of thing, even if they just did it during non-peak hours or something. There's lots of times when I get home from school at the Go station and the ticket agent is just sitting there doing nothing. Obviously it would be inconvenient for them to have to do this during the morning or evening rush but at off-times when they're not selling many tickets they could be processing a few of these for students who are customers of Go transit and will be giving them money for 4+ years depending on if they commute every year or even end up commuting with Go for their job etc.
True enough, but I don't think they have enough money to set up printing card machines at 50+ stations. They are currently in a multi-year process of renovating A LOT of stations.

How much do printing card machines cost anyways? The ones that also laminate at the same time.

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:39 PM   #28
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times
Quote:
Does that matter?

The ticket sellers arent GO employees and therefore could lead to printing for people other than students? They simply resell the tickets i believe.

Its not so bad, its only a one time thing right?

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:59 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
The ticket sellers arent GO employees and therefore could lead to printing for people other than students? They simply resell the tickets i believe.

Its not so bad, its only a one time thing right?
I'm pretty sure she was talking about the ticket sellers at the GO stations as opposed to COMPASS.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search