MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
GO Transit ID card Application Process for 2009/10 Session saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 123 08-20-2009 09:07 PM
GO Transit Student Pass Jake General Discussion 54 08-06-2009 10:36 AM

GO Transit Student ID Card

Old 08-27-2010 at 04:22 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
It is a lot of savings but I mean we have plastic ID cards, how many people have access to a machine that can make ID cards like this?

In any case yeah I really need the discount if I'm going to be commuting using GO transit but I guess I won't be able to use this discount in September since I won't be able to get this for 2-4 weeks if I go the mailing route. Going down to Union station before school starts isn't really an option.

If they can accept the Student ID as proof of enrollment to get this GO ID how exactly does that make sense? Then you can just use your fake Student ID to get a real GO ID.
That is a very good point! The fact that they accept the McMaster ID (although it hasn't actually been confirmed by anyone yet) to get a GO ID is just ridiculous. If they allow that, then they should just allow the McMaster ID as a GO ID.

You can get "souvenir" ID cards in downtown Toronto and I'm sure they have them in a lot of other places too.

Old 08-27-2010 at 04:22 PM   #46
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times
Ok, guys, I just came back from Union. The guy at the customer service told me that since I was a McMaster student and had a student card with the HSR sticker that said "Full-time", I didn't need a GO Transit ID.

And now, I am mad and confused.

Last edited by TheCrucible : 08-27-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: emphasize certain words

ali11, TheMist like this.

Old 08-27-2010 at 04:48 PM   #47
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
Ok, guys, I just came back from Union. The guy at the customer service told me that since I was a McMaster student and had a student card with the HSR sticker that said "Full-time", I didn't need a GO Transit ID.

ok, so can anyone confirm this? b/c im going to union today if we need that go id. This is getting confusing and messy.

Old 08-27-2010 at 05:24 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ.MVP View Post
ok, so can anyone confirm this? b/c im going to union today if we need that go id. This is getting confusing and messy.
McMaster is the one to blame in this situation. I talked to the GO Transit Customer Service and they told me the following (although I'm still slightly confused because she contradicted herself)

Private Bulletin: August 24th

McMaster University has not forwarded the sticker information (Basically the picture) to GO Transit for the upcoming 2010/2011 session. Your old sticker is still valid until October (as usual). She asked me if I was a student last year.

I said yes, but we've received the new stickers and replaced our old ones already.

She then said yes, you can use the 2010/2011 sticker. If anyone denies you then you have to fill out a form on the GO Transit website (basically a complaint form).

Horribly service in my opinion, but why the hell hasn't McMaster sent GO Transit the sticker information yet? We got these stickers over a month ago. But McMaster is close until Monday so I have no way of contacting them until then.

Old 08-27-2010 at 05:27 PM   #49
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post

Oh man, I hope you are right.

Old 08-27-2010 at 05:32 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Announcement Updated.

Old 08-28-2010 at 11:29 AM   #51
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Bought a 10 ride student ticket today using my student card, but she didn't really pay much attention to it. So I can't 100% confirm, but I wouldn't worry about getting the GO ID.

Old 08-28-2010 at 11:36 AM   #52
KGood

Liked: 0 Times
Hey everyone. I currently work at Compass, and I'm one of the people who sell the many Go Tickets that you use throughout the year. Hopefully I can clear this up a bit for everyone.

YOU DO NOT NEED A GO STUDENT ID CARD TO PURCHASE GO TICKETS AT THE DISCOUNTED PRICE.

To purchase the discounted tickets, all that is required is your student card to show that you are in fact, a full-time student at McMaster.

Proof of information:

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...OStudentID.htm

Please visit the Compass website for more information or come to the desk and ask us if you are confused.

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/servicesa...lInfo/main.htm

chugaucon, marieeeeeee, nerual, TheCrucible all say thanks to KGood for this post.

Old 08-28-2010 at 01:09 PM   #53
fawkes.

i just bought my sept monthly pass at compass and was not asked to show any go student ID.
to be honest, i've never been asked at compass.
i'd suggest just buying them there if you can help it and avoid the hassle of getting a go student ID.

edit: yeah sorry, i guess i should have read the last reply before i posted

Last edited by fawkes. : 08-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Old 08-28-2010 at 03:25 PM   #54
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times
GAH. I went all the way to Union station to get one of their stupid ID cards only to be told I didn't need it either. I can't believe this, first off a ticket seller says my McMaster ID is no good, THEN GO confirms on the phone, and now apparently it's fine? Wtf!

I'm starting to really hate this system.

Old 08-28-2010 at 08:39 PM   #55
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I updated the information yesterday after calling the GO Transit customer service in case anyone wants to read it before taking action.

Old 08-29-2010 at 09:44 AM   #56
fawkes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
GAH. I went all the way to Union station to get one of their stupid ID cards only to be told I didn't need it either. I can't believe this, first off a ticket seller says my McMaster ID is no good, THEN GO confirms on the phone, and now apparently it's fine? Wtf!

I'm starting to really hate this system.
yeah that exact thing happened to me last year.

Old 08-29-2010 at 05:32 PM   #57
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You only had to show your Student Card right?
Actually I didn't show any ID. I just gave them the form I completed and a guy at Customer Service made a card for me on the spot. The form you fill out has a carbon copy attached so that's probably one of the ways they can double check whether your card is real.

On the note of buying GO tickets now, I was going to say that technically the 2009/2010 year isn't over. Each time you get a GO ID (in the past), it actually doesn't expire until the end of October of the following year. That is probably why you can still buy tickets now with your student card. But another poster already confirmed that GO is going to continue letting Mac students use their student cards to get the discount so I guess that comment isn't really important to know...

Old 08-29-2010 at 05:40 PM   #58
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Actually I didn't show any ID. I just gave them the form I completed and a guy at Customer Service made a card for me on the spot. The form you fill out has a carbon copy attached so that's probably one of the ways they can double check whether your card is real.

On the note of buying GO tickets now, I was going to say that technically the 2009/2010 year isn't over. Each time you get a GO ID (in the past), it actually doesn't expire until the end of October of the following year. That is probably why you can still buy tickets now with your student card. But another poster already confirmed that GO is going to continue letting Mac students use their student cards to get the discount so I guess that comment isn't really important to know...
Oh, you completed the form. I thought you just went with your student card.

Yeah, I ended up calling customer service a while ago and updated the announcement appropriately. So really there should be any problems with buying tickets since McMaster will eventually send GO Transit the sticker information and before that you can just ask for GO Transit supervisors if you are denied the purchase of student tickets.

Old 09-01-2010 at 10:35 AM   #59
littleluzer

help?
sorry guys im kinda technically challenged, anyone know how to get to mcmaster u from toronto, gotransit website is so confusing for me, if you know which bus to take, please enlighten me

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search