MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your elective choices? jordan19 Academics 50 06-13-2010 06:38 PM
Rez Room Choices fashionqueen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2010 12:31 AM
Res Choices nick Residence & Housing 15 05-13-2010 11:34 AM
help with prof choices highoutput Academics 9 06-18-2009 10:51 AM
Engineering II - Choices... khaotic Academics 52 03-31-2009 01:14 PM

Printer Choices

Old 08-01-2009 at 04:55 PM   #16
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

HP & Yes
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:55 PM   #17
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

To be completely honest, I don't even think you need a printer.

The MSU's Underground is really good, has VERY good printers and is reasonably inexpensive. (Make friends within the MSU, and use someone's courtesy card to get 5 cent per page printing!)

xxsumz, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-01-2009 at 04:56 PM   #18
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Do you guys have any specific brand you're tried that's preferable?. And is it really worth getting a printer in Rez?
I found that having a printer in rez was a really good idea. I found myself using it a lot for printing notes and assignments. It helps a lot when it's late at night and you're finishing up an assignment but the library is closed.

xxsumz, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-01-2009 at 05:07 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I agree, I would recommend getting a printer for residence. I used mine tons. I use samsung by the way.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 05:11 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I was looking at a few, HP and Samsung seem to be on top so far. But most of them are all-in-ones and pretty big =S. Is it really worth getting a more expensive one, or just stick with the basics?
Old 08-01-2009 at 05:14 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I was looking at a few, HP and Samsung seem to be on top so far. But most of them are all-in-ones and pretty big =S. Is it really worth getting a more expensive one, or just stick with the basics?
Just the basics should be adequate. I only had to scan something once and I borrow my friend's scanner to do it.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2009 at 09:19 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Don't get EPSON... it works well but the ink cartridges are super small and expensive and run out quickly. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:16 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Not many things require colour for engineering.

And engineering courses differ slightly from science. Like 1E03 and 1A03 chem were slightly different - but you can still study with life scier's since that what i did aswell

As for a printer.. buy any that had fast printing, scanner (preferably, not a necessity) and LOW COST INK.
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:25 PM   #24
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

This article basically sums up what I have to say xD

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16895...w_to_tell.html

I'm personally going to get a color laser printer from Samsung. I have a B&W laser at home, but printed so much in color at my high school that I think it would make more sense for me to get a color one myself. Useful for those night when you finish your assignment at 2 am and everything is closed LOL But I'm sure B&W would be fine too since Underground seems to be much better in terms of pricing compared to my high school ($1-2 a page :( )
- Moulton Hall

Last edited by crucif3x : 08-01-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:33 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I have an HP B&W Laser printer. The toner hasn't run out once in 3 years. (I also don't print any notes).

You don't need a colour printer. It's a HUGE waste of your money. Most of what you need to print is in b&w (like papers for example) and if you ever need to print something in colour, then you can do it at the MSU Underground for very good prices.

Trust me, I'm taking a certification in GIS where I need to print a lot of high quality colour images and maps, and I still only do it in the Underground... the most I've paid at once for an assignment (it was something like 6 high quality colour prints) was around $6-$7.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 08-02-2009 at 01:18 AM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I believe you can also refill the ink cartridges using a simple kit. It comes with ink and a needle. That's what my dad does for the Lexmark. You can also buy the ink in a big bottle for cheap.
Old 08-02-2009 at 10:46 AM   #27
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

I'd highly recommend getting a black and white laser printer for lecture notes. They are VERY fast compared to inkjets and you get much more prints per cartridge. You can refill your toner by purchasing a full refill for $6.99 on www.tonerkits.com for most printers.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:01 AM   #28
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I use Canon because I find they don't break down much and the cartridges are somewhat cheaper as compared to HP. Usually.

I recommend Island Inkjet for cartridge refills . I think they cut it down to at least 60% of the original price, and basically they refill (almost?) any brand of cartridge. There is one in Westdale near King/Sterling, so it's pretty close to school.

I second/third (or whatever) all those people who say you should get a personal printer rather than using a public one. You will definitely have assignments that you might finish later than you thought you would, and waiting in line or having to get to school early, etc. will only stress you out even more...
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:18 AM   #29
Alex McColl

HP makes some rather small all-in-one ink jets. Although I didn't scan much, I found I used the "Photocopy" feature of my all-in-one a few times. In Res having a printer was great for turning out lecture notes and assignments.

If you have an HP Laser printer, DO NOT REFILL YOUR TONER CARTRIDGE! HP uses a proprietary process to manufacture their toner, using cheap refill toner will damage your printer and void your warranty. When you get new ink, HP sends you a postage-pre-paid bag to send it back for recycling.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:20 AM   #30
Alex McColl

I just thought of something. If you're going to be in a house off-campus why not all chip in for a network attached colour laser printer instead of everyone having their own ink jet? It would save everyone money and HP has some photo-quality colour lasers out that are reasonably priced.