MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your elective choices? jordan19 Academics 50 06-13-2010 06:38 PM
Res Choices nick Residence & Housing 15 05-13-2010 11:34 AM
Printer Choices TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-02-2009 02:35 PM
help with prof choices highoutput Academics 9 06-18-2009 10:51 AM
Engineering II - Choices... khaotic Academics 52 03-31-2009 01:14 PM

Rez Room Choices

Old 05-19-2010 at 09:50 PM   #1
fashionqueen

Liked: 0 Times

Rez Room Choices
Hey Everyone! I was just wondering about the suites in Mary Keyes and the double room with washroom in Les Prince. I want to make sure that i make lots of friends because I am a pretty social person, but I also like my privacy/a lone time. I have heard though that if you have a double room with a washroom you might not be in a very social environment because everyone has everything they need in there room, same with the suites. Is this true? Can anyone tell me about there experence in these rezs or any thing you may have heard Would just being in a double room be the best choice for me?
Old 05-19-2010 at 10:15 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

To be social, IMO, you should go for a double, and a residence with common washrooms... weird I know, but there are more people walking around randomly and its easier to meet more people on your floor!

I have heard that people in Keyes and Bates, apartment style, have more isolated first years.
Old 05-19-2010 at 10:25 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
To be social, IMO, you should go for a double, and a residence with common washrooms... weird I know, but there are more people walking around randomly and its easier to meet more people on your floor!

I have heard that people in Keyes and Bates, apartment style, have more isolated first years.
I also heard that there is a higher upper year to first year ratio in those two residences when compared to traditional style.
Old 05-19-2010 at 10:53 PM   #4
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

I lived in Keyes last year and there was a high number of upper years compared to first years. It was about half upper years and half first years on my floor. If you make the effort to get to know other people in the building, then you will meet a lot of people, but it is definately harder to get to know people since they can mostly just stay in their suites.
Old 05-20-2010 at 09:29 AM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
So true! I definitely met people in the washroom .
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:14 PM   #6
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

^^Agreed, girls even said "We'll miss our bathroom chats" at the end of the year. It was funny, you could hold a full conversation with the person in the shower next to you, and then someone brushing their teeth would shout over some commentary.

I had a double and hated it. My roommate was OK but I'm a private person in general. She was into partying in rez and had a boyfriend on the floor, whereas I would always come in at 5 am and sleep at odd times, and am introverted. It all depends on your compatibility.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:41 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

fashionqueen, I know another incoming first year who is trying to make the same choice as you. I mentioned a lot of the things mentioned above when I messaged him back, but also told him to read the articles mentioned here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2772 9

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-23-2010 at 02:28 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Keyes and Les Prince are the newer residences so the facilities are much newer. But as someone mentioned already, definitely go for a double and a common washroom. I knew a few people in Keyes & Les Prince and they definitely didn't have the chance to get to know everyone on their floor as others in the traditional style residences. People with suites interacted with the people in the same suite, not so much others on the floor. I lived in Moulton last year, and during the first week or so of school, I got to know about 50% of the floor through introductions in the bathroom, it sounds weird, but it really does work !
Old 05-25-2010 at 12:31 AM   #9
pocalyuko

Liked: 9 Times

definitely go for the double room IMO. like people have said, there are alot more people in first year along with you, and it's alot easier to hang out with people who are in the same boat as you - not really knowing anybody at first, floor meetings, the parties that go on the first few weeks etc lol. i met my 2 good friends during the opening NFL game the first week of september