MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your elective choices? jordan19 Academics 50 06-13-2010 06:38 PM
Rez Room Choices fashionqueen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2010 12:31 AM
Printer Choices TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-02-2009 02:35 PM
help with prof choices highoutput Academics 9 06-18-2009 10:51 AM
Engineering II - Choices... khaotic Academics 52 03-31-2009 01:14 PM

Res Choices

Old 05-10-2010 at 10:23 PM   #1
nick

Liked: 0 Times

Res Choices
How many choices can you put on the application form?
AND how likely are you to get your top choices?
did anybody end up with a room they didnt select?
Old 05-10-2010 at 11:19 PM   #2
eun1031

I think..
Well I'm going to be a new student this fall so I'm not 100% sure. From what I've read/heard: 1) you now have to choose a room type, not an actual building (and I think you get up to 3 preferences?); 2) selection is done by random lottery, that is, the computer picks your name and looks to see if any of your preferences are available and assigns you accordingly (if you are randomly chosen last you probably wont get your first choice).
Old 05-10-2010 at 11:20 PM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
did anybody end up with a room they didnt select?
Yup. I asked for singles/doubles with washrooms (i.e. the Les Prince rooms) and ended up in a traditional triple.
Best accident ever though, I had amazing roommates. They remain my closest friends at university until today, and I know my first year wouldn't have been as fun as it was if I'd had a single and not met all the people I did.
Trust me, you can survive living with people for eight months even if you don't get the exact rooms you want. Take it from slightly anti-social, only child who's never had to share as much as a shoe-rack in her entire life: definitely do-able.
Old 05-11-2010 at 12:18 AM   #4
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I had something similar happen to me in first year as what happened to Geek. Every one of my options were single rooms or apartment style and I ended up in a traditional triple room (also in a building that I hadn't selected). My experience wasn't as great as Geek's since the people I lived with were really nice but one of them was a little bit hard to live with.
She was messy and slept ALL day, which was hard for me since I'm a very organized person and I always get up early. I don't regret getting the room I did because I did meet quite a few awesome people, including Geek who lived down the hall from me. So no matter what, whether you get your choice or not, just make the best of it and you'll have an awesome time because no matter what it's a great experience.

Old 05-11-2010 at 12:59 AM   #5
t3hbovinator

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I asked for a single, or apartment style and ended up in a triple. I was terrified of living with people I'd never met, but in the end it was amazing. I love my roommates to death, and had one of the best year.
I don't really know how likely you are to get the room you want, since it's a lottery system. But, I believe you have like four options.
Either way, res is a great way to meet people and really get a feel for the campus!
Old 05-11-2010 at 08:57 AM   #6
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingénieur.xo View Post
I don't regret getting the room I did because I did meet quite a few awesome people, including Geek who lived down the hall from me.
This made me laugh pretty hard. And what do you know, two years later, we ended up across the hall from each other again!
Old 05-11-2010 at 09:46 AM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
This made me laugh pretty hard. And what do you know, two years later, we ended up across the hall from each other again!

Old 05-11-2010 at 11:08 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yeah basically its the luck of the draw. You can choose a single room as your top choice but depending on your lottery pick and how many there are available you may or more likely may not get one.

Single rooms for the record are reserved mostly for upper year students, and students going into first year with an average over 95% or higher, as they are guaranteed singles.

Chances are you'll end up in a double, or a triple depending on how many people apply to residence in your given year.

What they always say though is its not the building or the room that make your residence experience, its the people you meet.

Personally I lived in a single in 2nd year and it was nice in some ways but I was actually lonely a lot of the time. I think if I was in first year and lived in a single it would have been much worse and I would have felt very isolated. It was fine at that point b/c I had already done first year and met people elsewhere in class etc.
Old 05-11-2010 at 12:43 PM   #9
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Don't get your hopes up on 1 residence. I wanted Haddon, McKay or Les Prince during my first year, but ended up with Whidden. I was extremely disappointed cause Whidden has triple rooms and public washrooms per floor. But I quickly adjusted to the life style and I wouldn't trade the experience away. Met a bunch of people in my residence, which lead to meeting more people outside Whidden.

kangs6 likes this.
Old 05-11-2010 at 09:40 PM   #10
eun1031

Over 95%
Do you know if that is based on midterm marks or final marks?
Old 05-12-2010 at 01:48 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Do you know if that is based on midterm marks or final marks?
...what?
Old 05-12-2010 at 03:15 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
...what?
He means if it's based on the marks that got you accepted into university with or the marks that you get at the end.

Well, high school ends in June (I think) which means they would receive your marks in August (most likely). Not sure when room assignments are made, but if it's after then it'll most likely depend on your final marks. If not then it'll depend on your midterm marks. Either way, don't slack off just because you already got accepted.
Old 05-12-2010 at 04:24 PM   #13
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

I applied to all doubles and triples in almost every residence and got put in a single room in the residence i didn't apply to. It was awesome
Old 05-12-2010 at 10:19 PM   #14
eun1031

1) She. 2) Not slacking, but I have IB exams so I have no idea what is going to happen with my final marks.

I suppose scholarships would be based on final marks as well...
Old 05-12-2010 at 11:18 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
1) She. 2) Not slacking, but I have IB exams so I have no idea what is going to happen with my final marks.

I suppose scholarships would be based on final marks as well...
Yeah, the entrance scholarship is definitively based on the final marks. I vividly remember trying super hard to get my mark up that extra percent for that extra thousand.