MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caught the flu at the worst possible time TroubleStorm Academics 18 12-07-2011 03:39 PM
Worst thing you did to someone? bloodywarz General Discussion 73 09-18-2010 11:20 AM
best/worst res MacStudent1 Residence & Housing 12 08-23-2010 02:00 PM
Worst gift you've gotten.. ~*Sara*~ Dating & Relationships 30 12-24-2009 03:23 PM

proba bly the worst situation in the whole uni

Old 11-20-2013 at 08:38 PM   #1
a student

Liked: 0 Times

proba bly the worst situation in the whole uni
hi, I am a second year student in program X

I didn't really wanted prog X as I applied to eng, but my high school average was 83 due to English class...

Anyways, first year I failed a course and average was 4.4, couldn't switch to eng

I am thinking to switch to commerce-> accounting because it's a stable career

It says "no failures" and average at least 6.0

Should I forget about it? How competitive is commerce II?
Old 11-20-2013 at 08:44 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I believe the average dropped to a 6 now. Talk to councillor about it

a student says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 11-20-2013 at 08:51 PM   #3
a student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
I believe the average dropped to a 6 now. Talk to councillor about it
Actually I talked to the academic adviser and yes, it's a 6. She told me some general info that was helpful. But I was wondering if students know more about this type of situation? any advice?
Old 11-20-2013 at 08:57 PM   #4
a student

I was just reading the thread below and someone mentioned that commerce has no major, what does that really mean?
Old 11-20-2013 at 11:32 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.

a student likes this.
Old 11-21-2013 at 12:22 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

You still have this term and next term, as well as summer courses if needed to get your GPA up, so don't worry, there's still time! Also, you could always switch into another program, with a lower requirement and then switch into Eng/Commerce after. It may take an extra year to do so though depending on course requirements, so keep that in mind. Go speak to the commerce academic advisors and see what they say!

a student says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 11-21-2013 at 07:21 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

"The worst situation in the whole university"?
Give me a break. It's not even close.

Figure out what program you actually WANT and then work hard to get the grades that will help you be eligible. Talk to academic advisors to see if they have specific advice on how exactly you can get there.

If your CA is 4.4 and they require a 6, you're not getting in even if they have space. You need to bring your average up before officially switching anywhere, or you could consider going to college for something engineering-related.

a student says thanks to starfish for this post.

shreebee likes this.
Old 11-21-2013 at 09:07 AM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I highly recommend going back to your advisor and working to make some sort of plan for the future - what courses are you doing really well in, what courses are more of a struggle? Using this to establish a plan for what courses you can take while still at the university to bump up your average and perhaps find a program that is better suited to your skills is a very viable option.

You could also take more courses that you do well in, bump up your average and then transfer in another year (if that is possible), which gives you the benefit of improving your study skills and capabilities

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

a student says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 11-21-2013 at 11:10 AM   #9
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a student View Post
I was just reading the thread below and someone mentioned that commerce has no major, what does that really mean?
In Commerce, you get to chose a "focus". The possible focuses are: Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Strategic Management, Operations Management, Information Systems, and Human Resources Management. You also, of course, have the option to do a minor (many people minor in economics).

a student says thanks to Commie42 for this post.

shreebee likes this.
Old 11-21-2013 at 01:51 PM   #10
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

to get straight to the point, i dont think they will let you switch into Commerce with a 4.4 average when the requirement in 6. even for commerce students they have quite strict requirements going from first year to second year.

you could always retake the course you failed and bring your average up. however im not aware if the commerce program would let you switch in after second year. i think your best bet is to redo the course in the summer (if it's offered) and apply to commerce. also as mentioned above, keep discussing with your adviser because they have the best and most accurate information for you.

a student says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 11-21-2013 at 02:44 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I expected more of this thread when I saw the title... I would think the worst situation of the whole university would be getting an errection while giving a presentation to a class of 400 students, then having your professor yell at you, let slip that you're going to fail the course, proceeding with you wetting yourself. All in the presence of the girl you have like the biggest crust on, like, ever. Also your dog dies when you go home that night. And you get a call from your doctor informing you that you have AIDS.

Yes, I'm aware I am fully on-topic.

Old 11-21-2013 at 04:00 PM   #12
a student

Thanks
Thank you for the great replies.

Conclusion is, my average has to go up, which is very possible, but, if I decided to drop my prog X courses and take easy courses to boost my average, then that's the biggest risk ever, or what do you think? Because my prog x courses are causing me the trouble in the first place commerce doesn't accept summer courses

second point is, for commerce it says "no failures", how serious can that be?

and RyanC, are you serious?

again, thanks for all the replies
Old 11-21-2013 at 04:20 PM   #13
shreebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by a student View Post
Thank you for the great replies.

Conclusion is, my average has to go up, which is very possible, but, if I decided to drop my prog X courses and take easy courses to boost my average, then that's the biggest risk ever, or what do you think? Because my prog x courses are causing me the trouble in the first place commerce doesn't accept summer courses

second point is, for commerce it says "no failures", how serious can that be?
take a look at the following link, you may have already seen it. this is targeted towards first year commerce students but I think it can give you some information.

in terms of taking the risk to drop prog x courses for easier course, I recommened doing that only if you really want to switch into commerce.

and are you sure commerce doesn't accept summer courses? i know people who do not take all the required courses during the year and take them over the summer and then just emailed the APO and then were accepted into 2nd year.

They are quite strict on the no failures, unless there was something like a family emergency or of that nature.

http://ug.degroote.mcmaster. ca/reg...-requirements/
Old 11-21-2013 at 06:43 PM   #14
a student

You are in commerce, what did you focus on?

Here is where they say
  • You must not have failed or repeated any university courses.
*I can't post a url :/ but go to google type "mcmaster commerce II internal transfer"*

And the academic adviser told me that they don't consider summer courses "in this case at least"
Old 11-21-2013 at 06:58 PM   #15
shreebee

ok i see why summer courses won't be counted. that's too bad.
I'm taking all the required accounting courses for CPA