MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Political Science Seminars danmaclennan Academics 5 03-03-2010 01:43 PM
Problem! noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2009 12:21 PM
elm pdf problem sycoman General Discussion 2 09-10-2009 12:26 PM
English Level 4 Seminars 09-10 kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-19-2009 07:44 AM
is this a problem? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-12-2008 11:28 AM

Problem with 4th year seminars?

Old 04-17-2010 at 10:12 AM   #1
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

Problem with 4th year seminars?
I'm in level 3 history, but we're required to take 2 4th year seminars in year 3. I checked the ones I have been chosen for today and saw that they are both in second semester .

Having two 4th year seminars in one semester seems nearly impossible in terms of workload .. is there some kind of rule against this? I've emailed the professor in charge of the seminar selections, but is there anything else I can do to try and get this changed or am I ultimately stuck doing 2 huge courses in one semester?
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:18 AM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

if they're required then everyone should be doing them right?

and 4th year seminars probably aren't as difficult as you make them out to be
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:18 AM   #3
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

I checked the FAQ about seminar ballots and it says that these class lists are only tentative and they may change without notice, so there's still a chance that your seminars will change
it also says that it's difficult to switch out of one and into another without permission, but hopefully given your case they will grant you permission
if all else fails, there is one seminar offered this summer, that maybe you could take instead
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:36 AM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I took 2 fourth year seminars this year (each a full year) and it wasn't that bad. I'm in Political Science, but a friend in Pol Sci and History combined honours said he is taking a history seminar as well, and they are about the same.

Seminars don't add too much to your workload. I just see them as any other class basically. I'd say you're lucky that they are only one term long
Old 04-17-2010 at 11:55 AM   #5
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I found my fourth year seminars to be easier than my third year courses. More reading was required for the one, but the work load was lighter. The one we just wrote two essays and the exam was multiple choice, and for the other seminar we just wrote one paper, did one presentation, and had a midterm. These were for Sociology.

You can sometimes find old course outlines, which will give you an idea of what the course load will look like. I'd check them out before worrying about how much work they'll be.