MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-19-2010 02:17 PM
Electives & course load problem rant Academics 6 04-22-2010 11:44 AM
Problem! noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2009 12:21 PM
Elm Problem jaucep General Discussion 68 09-13-2009 12:36 AM
Anyone out there have the same problem? Please help me. raine First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-01-2008 11:00 AM

Problem With Electives!

Old 01-03-2010 at 12:21 AM   #1
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Problem With Electives!
I recently dropped Math 1AA3 and I wanted to take an elective instead (since I dropped my 1st semester elective). The problem is that all the electives that I want to take (listed below) are full.. and have been full for the past 4 days. I keep checking at least a few times daily... but still no luck. Here are the electives I was considering (anyone of those would be perfect... I don't even care about the level of difficulty or professor teaching it anymore):

- ECON 1B03/1BB3
- ANTHRO 1A03/1Z03
- HLTHST 1A03
- LABR ST 1C03
- WOMEN ST 1A03

So does anyone have any advice as to what I should do in this situation? I just want this to be resolved as soon as possible since I don't want to miss any classes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010 at 12:27 AM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

This is normal. I have never found a spot in an elective before school starts. I always manage to get into the class after a week into school.

It's fine if you miss the first few classes. Professors know that students switch classes and get in late. The first week or so generally isn't very important anyway, and I'm sure you can get the notes off someone. Just keep trying. Trust me - you WILL get in one of these classes.
Old 01-03-2010 at 03:15 AM   #3
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Yeah, with a system like MUGSI - your best bet is to check course availability every moment you can during the first week back.

Also, pick one or two courses that you most want to get into (out of the list you provided) and go to those classes during the first week so that you don't miss anything in case you get enrolled in the class later.
Old 01-03-2010 at 09:28 AM   #4
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Hi,

I can give you some feedback about Anthropology 1Z03. When i took this course it was a nightclass, the marking scheme was something like a 35 % Midterm, a 15% "Second Midterm" and a 50 % Exam, but the Day Class the term after had assignment and tutorials, so their marking scheme was different.

When i took this course, the testing style was primarily Fill in the Blanks, and Written answers with a bit of True and False. There was a page of Short answers a page of long answers and another page of 'Compre and Contrast'.

All in all, this course was alright but it was a lot of memorization, if you find that you do not like learning about HUMAN EVOLUTION and memorizing fossil names and things similar to that -- then dont take this course, it somewhat Mirrors Biology 1M03, in that it is heavily bio based.
Old 01-03-2010 at 02:21 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't formally drop a class (ie. through MUGSI) until you're certain you get into the one you want. Sometimes someone can take the one you just dropped, leaving you completely out of luck if you do this!

But like others have said, just wait a week or so until people attend the lectures, realize they think the subject is boring and then drop it...just be sure to check MUGSI religiously (like 12 times a day) until you get into one you want.