MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives vs full course load headphones Academics 2 08-13-2010 01:32 PM
course load megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-12-2010 05:13 PM
Problem With Electives! IbrahimH First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-03-2010 02:21 PM
Course Load James General Discussion 3 06-25-2009 06:59 PM
Will electives in summer reduce course load next year? jachill Academics 6 06-07-2009 01:35 PM

Electives & course load problem

Old 04-22-2010 at 10:34 AM   #1
rant

Liked: 3 Times

Electives & course load problem
Hi guys!

I'm currently taking Nursing, and am going into level three in September. I'm hoping to apply to medical school after I complete my degree.

So here is my problem! Most medical schools require you to take a full course load, with the equivalent of 5 courses per term. However, in the nursing program, a large number of our units come from PBL and clinical classes (some are 4 units, others are 7 in one term).

So even though I average about 30 units per term, most of these units come from single courses with huge unit loads. For my level two, I did 4 courses in term one, and 3 courses in term two. This was the max amount of courses I could register into with SOLAR, because two of the required courses for that year were 7 unit courses each.

I couldn't take the "full course load" of 5 courses per term because those 7 unit courses maxed out my unit allowance for the year.

For level three, I am okay, but level four gets a bit tricky!

Again, I have 7 unit courses, which makes it so I only have 7 courses that I can take for level four. This is a far cry from the 10 I need to be considered a full course load, even though I am maxing out my unit allowance on SOLAR.

My question to you: My degree requires me to complete 123 units. Am I allowed to take more units than that to get a full course load? For example, in level four, even though I only have to take 6 units of electives to complete my degree, can I take 12 units, which would mean that I would have 129 units by the time I graduate?

Sorry for the confused question, and I thank you in advance if you're able to puzzle your way through it.
Old 04-22-2010 at 10:40 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You can certainly take more classes, yes. The school doesn't really care!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-22-2010 at 10:42 AM   #3
rant

Thank you for your reply.

So, in essentia, I could get my required 123 units, and keep going on ad nauseum for eternity? At what point do they "force" you to graduate? I don't know if that question even makes sense, sorry. :S
Old 04-22-2010 at 10:46 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yes, you can continue to take classes. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a limit...the school wants your money, so allowing you to continually take classes would satisfy those requirements...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-22-2010 at 11:09 AM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I talked to a nursing student at one of my interviews and one of the problems that she had had to do with the course load - which didn't qualify her for certain places. Granted, she was at UBC so it was probably different than at McMaster.

I think they take into consideration the number of units taken each year, so even if things are weighted differently you should be fine. I'd call the admissions people to confirm this though.
Old 04-22-2010 at 11:24 AM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

It is my understanding that most places view a full course load as either 5 full year courses (or equivalent), or 30 units of courses, depending on how you University measures credits. But to be on the safeside I would email admissions offices at schools that require full course loads and ask them (and include number of units each year).
Old 04-22-2010 at 11:44 AM   #7
rant

Thank you all for your replies. I will e-mail the admissions for each university, and see. I appreciate the advice!