MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more first generation bursary? cjdzl General Discussion 9 09-29-2011 03:59 PM
Next generation of PSP, and it's 3D + touch! Chad Computers & Tech 12 01-28-2011 01:22 PM
Help Solving Multiple Equations ahmedsu Academics 7 02-21-2010 12:25 PM
First Generation Students lorend General Discussion 6 10-02-2007 09:48 AM

Problem Solving Skills of our Generation

Old 09-10-2014 at 11:04 AM   #1
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Problem Solving Skills of our Generation
I've been spending my lunch hour reading through numerous threads on MI today, and have been growing more and more disturbed by lack of initiative and problems solving skills of many of the community members here. We live in a society where the internet provides us with an endless amount of information on things as broad as our galaxy, all the way down to something as simple as what Beyonce had for lunch today (It was a stick of celery, no big deal haha). Even with all of these resources at our fingertips, the greater part of society is far too lazy to utilize the benefits that modern technology provides us with to solve their simple problems. Ive seen posts on here about locating a tailor in hamilton, how to convert between grading scales, bus routes, etc. Everyone who creates threads like these have proven that they have the skills required to operate a computer and keyboard to post online, so why the fuck are they so lazy that they cant type their question into google and find the answers to their problems themselves?
With technology evolving every day, one would think that we as a community would take advantage of these advances to help simplify the process of problem solving. Instead, its completely apparent that we a large part of the population has gone in the opposite direction. Rather than quickly finding answers to our questions, we now post our question in a forum (most of the time the question has been posed and answered in numerous other threads on MI that the OP is just too damn lazy to search for) and wait on someone else to answer our questions for us.
I know this is a rant, but after 30 minutes of reading easily answered questions on here, some questions having been repeated multiple times, i just felt the need to post this. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my views.

Alomar12, Moirre, VitaSoy like this.
Old 09-10-2014 at 02:56 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I kind of agree with you, but not fully.

The reason I like to make threads in MI if I am not selling textbooks, is to find advice from students who live in the area and their experiences. Like the tailor example you mentioned, I called a bunch of places and spent time looking into it, but meanwhile I had a good experience with the one in Westdale so I recommend it. Tailoring a suit for the first time is something I had no idea what to do, or if price of the place matters, but I know it now so it makes it easier for other people.

On the other hand, I agree with you when people ask stuff like "where do I buy textbooks" or stuff that doing a google search will give you 10 threads on MI that are worded the same. As there are a lot of new people at Mac, these threads will probably die down more until a new group comes next year.
Old 09-10-2014 at 05:35 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I've found this a lot with my classmates, and it irritates the hell out of me. My patience for this was totally, 100% used up a few years ago I don't care who you are, whether you're my little sister, my mother, my housemate, my best friend, that random classmate, a totally random person - I get extremely annoyed when you can't perform a basic google search, especially if you're online anyways! Googling is a necessary life skill in today's world. In many circumstances, it can even replace thinking for yourself, which you'd think people would find appealing since nobody seems to want to use their brain.

I don't know if it's laziness, or an inability to figure out what words to type into google, or an overdependence on others, or something else entirely, but it really is astounding.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for life". But unfortunately, nobody seems to care to "learn how to fish" anymore. Too bad, because it's really not rocket science. I really have no desire to see how messed up the world will be in 40-50 years...I wish I was born several decades earlier than I actually was.
Old 09-10-2014 at 10:14 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Agreed... and as time goes on, it's only getting worse. Helicopter parenting is at an all-time high. When Mom and Dad are doing everything for you and saving your ass all the time, you hardly need to figure out how to do basic things on your own. As a result, problem solving skills are increasingly becoming a lost art, along with cursive writing and reading analog clocks.
Old 09-10-2014 at 10:25 PM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

The giant elephant in the room has been pointed at!
Old 09-12-2014 at 10:51 AM   #6
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Agreed... and as time goes on, it's only getting worse. Helicopter parenting is at an all-time high. When Mom and Dad are doing everything for you and saving your ass all the time, you hardly need to figure out how to do basic things on your own. As a result, problem solving skills are increasingly becoming a lost art, along with cursive writing and reading analog clocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
The giant elephant in the room has been pointed at!
Im assuming you are referring to reading analog clocks right allanandthera?

allanandthera likes this.
Old 09-12-2014 at 05:24 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Blame facebook and instant messaging
Old 09-12-2014 at 07:35 PM   #8
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

It's not as bad right now. I am actually more concerned about the time tweens get to power positions in government.

Today, the people who used to be hippies in the 70s, are presidents and congressmen (like Obama)... and we all know how much it sucks.

Now imagine a belieber becoming the first female president in 40 years. I don't want to be around to see the flaming ball of shit that our future will become.
Old 09-13-2014 at 03:07 AM   #9
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

I think part of the issue is that information is too scattered. Computers and the internet have led to a great disorganization of information. We have more documents/reading material thrown at us than ever before. Trying to wade through it all can be difficult.

I think the internet has also allowed us to become lazy in recording information. Many people tune out everything from course administrative information to course material, because between sites like Avenue & LearnLink and podcasts, we can (mostly) always "look it up again". Howvever, this becomes challenging in the flood of documents I referred to earlier.
Old 09-13-2014 at 09:51 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

It's really not hard to look up information - most people just can't be bothered. They'd rather have someone look it up for them and then tell them the answer.
Old 09-13-2014 at 04:26 PM   #11
oh atoms

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
It's really not hard to look up information - most people just can't be bothered. They'd rather have someone look it up for them and then tell them the answer.
This. I'm not sure why so many people think they are entitled to having information spoon-fed to them. Based on anecdotal experiences though, the problem seems to begin with our schooling system. It's really not until high school that students are expected to demonstrate some level of independence.
Old 09-15-2014 at 11:50 AM   #12
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Not that they can't be bothered, they are just too useless to look up information for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh atoms View Post
This. I'm not sure why so many people think they are entitled to having information spoon-fed to them. Based on anecdotal experiences though, the problem seems to begin with our schooling system. It's really not until high school that students are expected to demonstrate some level of independence.
I had a class in fourth year that had a student body of 4th year elec eng students and 3rd year comp eng students. When exams were coming closer, i couldnt believe some of the comments the third year comp eng students were making to the prof. When the professor was going over exam review material, a student actually stopped class to argue with the prof that we as students pay our tuition fees in order for the teaching faculty to GIVE us the answers. I couldnt believe the shitty attitude, and general ignorance being displayed two rows in front of where i was seated. Some kids these days are too coddled by their parents and expect that the world will put everything on hold to make their lives easier. Its these people that i look forward to having serve me 10 years from now at a McDonalds in Oakville
Old 09-15-2014 at 11:53 AM   #13
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
It's not as bad right now. I am actually more concerned about the time tweens get to power positions in government.

Today, the people who used to be hippies in the 70s, are presidents and congressmen (like Obama)... and we all know how much it sucks.

Now imagine a belieber becoming the first female president in 40 years. I don't want to be around to see the flaming ball of shit that our future will become.
Should someone tell this troll that we dont have a president in Canada?
Old 09-16-2014 at 07:41 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

People problem solve by using Spotted at Mac. Every problem.
Old 09-20-2014 at 04:07 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

http://o.canada.com/technology/five-...n-told-them-to

I don't know if this is true...but the sad part is, I wouldn't be surprised if people were actually stupid enough to microwave their iPhones