MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Languages 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-12-2010 08:49 PM
Programming Languages used in first year Comp Sci philwood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-24-2009 10:09 PM
Why does the Engineering advisor lady tell people not to take languages courses? Ownaginatios First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 11-16-2008 02:12 PM

Programming languages in Engineering?

Old 07-20-2009 at 01:34 PM   #16
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

so...what languages do Comp science students learn?
Old 07-21-2009 at 10:37 AM   #17
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Images of 16 hour days slaving for EA come to mind..... I feel sorry for you :(
Sweeeet. If they pay good, I don't mind.

Old 07-21-2009 at 11:11 AM   #18
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
so...what languages do Comp science students learn?
First year computer science used Java last year, but I think it was C or C++ in the past. The prof said he preferred C++, but thought Java might be easier or something.

Oh, and there was a bit of Haskell for the discrete math course, but since it's not really a programming course, it's fairly light.

I'm pretty sure that second year is C.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:22 PM   #19
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

yeah i've also read somewhere that java is easier. still im gonna learn a bit of basic c++ for now, or do u recommend i start from just C ?
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:35 PM   #20
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I wouldn't mind working there
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...fortune/2.html
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:38 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I want to work for Google, but I can't do anything for them XD Did you see the documentary on Google and the work environment? I forgot what station broadcast the documentary but it's a pretty old one.
Old 07-22-2009 at 12:48 PM   #22
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Working at Google is a dream job. When someone ask where you work, you say, "I work at google, if you don't know, google it."

Old 07-22-2009 at 12:57 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Working at Google is a dream job. When someone ask where you work, you say, "I work at google, if you don't know, google it."
You could also be like "I work for the future secretly evil empire of Google. Mess with me, and I'll have the google Earth satellite blow up your house."
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:02 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You could also be like "I work for the future secretly evil empire of Google. Mess with me, and I'll have the google Earth satellite blow up your house."
Ironic, since the company slogan is "don't be evil"
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:03 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
If you'd heard the horror stories that I've heard, you might think differently (or might not... )
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:16 PM   #26
endearing66

Liked: 1 Time

well i just want to confirm that c# ( c sharp ) will be taught in 1st year engineering? is thr is any other language? i m thinking of studying it in summer, so can u please suggest me a book and the details abt it.. thanks..

Old 07-22-2009 at 02:17 PM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by endearing66 View Post
well i just want to confirm that c# ( c sharp ) will be taught in 1st year engineering? is thr is any other language? i m thinking of studying it in summer, so can u please suggest me a book and the details abt it.. thanks..
Yes, only C#. If you really want to get ahead, in Math you'll use Maple and at the end, Matlab. If you really have nothing to do, you might want to give those a try.
Old 07-22-2009 at 02:21 PM   #28
endearing66

Liked: 1 Time

thanks.. well can u please tell me the details, which i have to do in c# and book for it.. also what else you recommend to study this summer that will help me in univ.

Old 07-22-2009 at 05:11 PM   #29
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I wouldn't bother trying to learn C# over your summer break especially Maple (worst program ever created I might add) . They do start from the basics as if you've never programmed in your life. Although it is at a fast pace the programs you will make in your labs are nearly identical to pratice labs which are covered in tutorials. What I would try to 'review' over during the summer is some physics and math or even chemistry. Maybe just the topics that you struggled with it in highschool. That will help tremendously. If you really really want to get ahead learn some stuff on sequences and series (I struggled with this stuff in first semester) and all that good stuff haha but who in their right mind would do that during their summer break you'd have to be crazy....

Last edited by Bender : 07-22-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2009 at 05:50 PM   #30
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to learn C# now especially Maple (worst program ever created I might add) . They do start from the basics as if you've never programmed in your life. Although it is at a fast pace the programs you will make in your labs are nearly identical to pratice labs which are covered in tutorials. What I would try to 'review' over during the summer is some physics and math or even chemistry. Maybe just the topics that you struggled with it in highschool. That will help tremendously.
thanks for the advice...