MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Provost Honour Roll Guest253 Academics 2 01-06-2010 10:49 AM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM
Honour M Awards Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-27-2009 09:04 PM
Provost's Honours List zeChinaman Academics 111 03-07-2009 10:07 PM
*cue drum roll* Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-29-2006 03:05 PM

Provost's Honour Roll

Old 12-23-2010 at 10:55 PM   #46
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslia View Post
Wow.
Did you ever care to think the OP meant to respect the achievement (which, i think all of us can agree is substantial) and not the entirety of the person?
And why is honouring a 9.5 "nice" while a 12 "disgusting"? Because you couldn't get it?
because its not just 9.5 its 9.5+ so it does not you know make others who worked hard feel less important, it equalizes between people who got 9.5, 10, 10.2, 11.8 etc. It equalizes between people while the 12 exclusive medal is just bullshit. Does that make sense?? and no its not disgusting because I can't get it, its disgusting because it creates a lot of problems as I have stated above. And she said respect, respect is respect. I don't respect that achievement .. how can someone respect an achievement. Ohh I respect my cup of milk because it gives me calcium. You can't respect an inanimate thing, you respect the person.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 12-23-2010 at 10:59 PM   #47
Carbs

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Really? I would have expected a lot, lot more...
Not that surprising considering how the transition from high school to university is difficult for some students (i.e. those with poor study habits), and it's really challenging (in my opinion), to pull out an average like 10.6 in first year, especially with some of the courses we forced to take (i.e. Bio 1A03/1M03 of 2nd semester was a goddamn disaster).
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:00 PM   #48
Kal El

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noor_toglaw View Post
because its not just 9.5 its 9.5+ so it does not you know make others who worked hard feel less important, it equalizes between people who got 9.5, 10, 10.2, 11.8 etc. It equalizes between people while the 12 exclusive medal is just bullshit. Does that make sense?? and no its not disgusting because I can't get it, its disgusting because it creates a lot of problems as I have stated above. And she said respect, respect is respect. I don't respect that achievement .. how can someone respect an achievement. Ohh I respect my cup of milk because it gives me calcium. You can't respect an inanimate thing, you respect the person.
This'll shock you, but outside the safe, often quite insane, constantly nonsensical world of the University enviroment, we have this thing we like to call life. Now. In life, you don't get prizes for being second, or recognition for being not quite as good as the person who wins the awards, because they did better. That's how it works.

You hit the targets, you bring home the goods, and you get the accolades for doing so. Otherwise, you're just another very good, slightly above average employee who isn't completely mundane, but is, nonetheless extremely expendable and doesn't get the recognition.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:02 PM   #49
sslia

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Problems... as in jealousy from people like you?

Alexandre Bilodeau won the first Canadian gold medal on Canadian soil - I respect his achievement
Charles Darwin formulated the theory of evolution and presented it to the world - I respect his achievement
MLK made significant strides in the civil rights movement - I respect his achievement

Who knows who these people were in their down time, maybe they were the "rudest meanest son of a bit*h".
People still respect their achievements.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:06 PM   #50
Kal El

Quote:

Alexandre Bilodeau won the first Canadian gold medal on Canadian soil - I respect his achievement
Charles Darwin formulated the theory of evolution and presented it to the world - I respect his achievement
MLK made significant strides in the civil rights movement - I respect his achievement

Who knows who these people were in their down time, maybe they were the "rudest meanest son of a bit*h".
Well. Unless you're the previous British Prime minister and ex chancellor of the exchequer. We really hate the crap out of him for what he achieved. Or George Bush.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:06 PM   #51
Carbs

Liked: 0 Times

I don't think you understand the amount of work you need to compile a perfect GPA (especially engineers - I'm looking at you guys). They for sure, do need to be recognized, as it's a very noteworthy accomplishment, regardless of their personality; sure, some of them are probably 'asian math robots' that don't do anything but study. That still doesn't invalidate their achievements.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:07 PM   #52
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:

Just do a quick google search for "respect achievement" and clearly the results show that such phrase is not really that widely used. You can keep on arguing that you respect their achievement and not the person. But you really dont respect their achievement you recognize their achievement . I am going to stop arguing with you about this point because you are just making shit up. And no I am not jealous, I am living a happy 11 average life with all I need; friends, family, and what not. You can keep on calling me jealous. I really could care less.

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:09 PM   #53
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbs View Post
I don't think you understand the amount of work you need to compile a perfect GPA (especially engineers - I'm looking at you guys). They for sure, do need to be recognized, as it's a very noteworthy accomplishment, regardless of their personality; sure, some of them are probably 'asian math robots' that don't do anything but study. That still doesn't invalidate their achievements.
I AGREE WITH YOU !! You can RECOGNIZE their achievement not RESPECT THEM. The whole argument was about the use of the phrase "huge respect" by one of the members.

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:09 PM   #54
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:11 PM   #55
Kal El

Quote:
Just do a quick google search for "respect achievement" and clearly the results show that such phrase is not really that widely used. You can keep on arguing that you respect their achievement and not the person. But you really dont respect their achievement you recognize their achievement . I am going to stop arguing with you about this point because you are just making shit up. And no I am not jealous, I am living a happy 11 average life with all I need; friends, family, and what not. You can keep on calling me jealous. I really could care less.
Why can't you respect the achievement? It's hardly a decent thing to say it isn't fair to single out people for keeping a perfect scorecard - That's a fantastic achievement that surely commands respect regardless of faculty.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:12 PM   #56
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

i dont know about you but knowing how hard i worked to get 10's and 11's in courses this year, makes me have that much more respect for someone with a 12. It almost sounds like your happy with mediocrity, have some ambition will you.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:14 PM   #57
Kal El

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
i dont know about you but knowing how hard i worked to get 10's and 11's in courses this year, makes me have that much more respect for someone with a 12. It almost sounds like your happy with mediocrity, have some ambition will you.
Oh come now. Join me, in the land of underachievers and relish in your status. We have comics, xbox and cookies.

TMBGiants likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:14 PM   #58
sslia

Quote:
I AGREE WITH YOU !! You can RECOGNIZE their achievement not RESPECT THEM. The whole argument was about the use of the phrase "huge respect" by one of the members.
Oh, so it just comes down to the fact that you are not able to understand the usage of colloquial terms. What a waste of time

Kal El likes this.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:26 PM   #59
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Oh, so it just comes down to the fact that you are not able to understand the usage of colloquial terms. What a waste of time
exactly, no one asked you to argue with me, I was talking to that person who used that phrase and you had absolutely nothing to do with it, you wasted your time and my time.

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:27 PM   #60
sslia

Quote:
exactly, no one asked you to argue with me, I was talking to that person who used that phrase and you had absolutely nothing to do with it, you wasted your time and my time.
It's hard to not argue when someone is talking out of their a**