MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 114 05-30-2014 10:59 AM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
Psych 1x03 MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-21-2010 06:02 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM
Psych 1X03 TheAxtmann Academics 37 07-12-2009 01:27 AM

Psych 1X03 on netbooks

Old 09-20-2010 at 08:38 PM   #1
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Psych 1X03 on netbooks
thinking of getting a netbook soon, just a quick question though

do the psych 1x03 online lectures work fine on a netbook? i mean they're not exactly 1080p, nor do they need to be
Old 09-20-2010 at 08:51 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

They work on mine, most flash video works fine on netbooks

waldo92 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:31 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I'd consider waiting for the Google Speedbook (rumoured name), its rumoured to be released soon. Google has stated that they'd be releasing something netbooky by the end of 2010, running Chrome OS, and recently patented the name.

Chrome OS looks awesome, and with the right hardware behind it could be amazing.
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:33 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'd consider waiting for the Google Speedbook (rumoured name), its rumoured to be released soon. Google has stated that they'd be releasing something netbooky by the end of 2010, running Chrome OS, and recently patented the name.

Chrome OS looks awesome, and with the right hardware behind it could be amazing.
Or he/she could just wait about a month and pick up one of the new dual core atom netbooks with Windows 7 and avoid the inevitable growing pains Chrome OS is going to suffer...
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:38 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Haha, fair enough. Normally I would never even think about getting first gen tech, but I'm way too excited about Chrome OS to hold back this time.
Old 09-20-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Haha, fair enough. Normally I would never even think about getting first gen tech, but I'm way too excited about Chrome OS to hold back this time.
Chrome OS is looking really promising, I just don't like the fact that they're basically requiring it to be a thin client to the cloud. I only use about 20GB of the 250GB my netbook has available, but having that 20GB worth of local storage is rather useful. Having to carry around flash drives in addition to my netbook makes no real logical sense to me and I still assume it'll be one of the first things to change with Chrome OS 2.0. I'll def be looking into Chrome OS in a year or two when I want to upgrade my netbook.
Old 09-20-2010 at 11:24 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

I can see why that would deter a fair amount of people, but I somehow doubt they'll change that. It just doesn't fit with their everything on the cloud business model.

But its also why I don't think Chrome OS will be primary computer material for a long time. I don't save much to my hard drive, but occasionally its unavoidable (for now). So Google can wait for everyone else to catch up, or cave in and make it a mixed system. Both seem like distant future prospects though.

Still, super excited. And nothing hardware wise is confirmed, so maybe we'll be wrong and its got a bit of local storage right off the bat. Or someone will play around with the code and release a version geared towards devices with hard drives. It is open source, so any manufacturer could do what they want with it.
Old 09-21-2010 at 10:58 AM   #8
cmcallister

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
thinking of getting a netbook soon, just a quick question though

do the psych 1x03 online lectures work fine on a netbook? i mean they're not exactly 1080p, nor do they need to be
Hey Waldo,
The lectures are optimized for screen resolutions of 1024x768. Most netbooks generally run 1024x600, which means you might have the navigation elements visible only when you scroll.

The netbook will definitely be powerful enough to run these flash based presentations.
Old 09-22-2010 at 03:29 PM   #9
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

lol i was actually looking at something more simple (pretty much only for work + the odd movie/show), for example one of the netbooks i'm looking at is this:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...duc t=2510675

i'm not too sure about the dual core netbooks/google speedbook (tbf, the first time i've heard of it, definitely sounds interesting), mainly because i think i'd be looking at laptop-like prices for those. and if i'm paying laptop-like prices, might as well get the real thing.
Old 09-22-2010 at 04:40 PM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
lol i was actually looking at something more simple (pretty much only for work + the odd movie/show), for example one of the netbooks i'm looking at is this:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...duc t=2510675

i'm not too sure about the dual core netbooks/google speedbook (tbf, the first time i've heard of it, definitely sounds interesting), mainly because i think i'd be looking at laptop-like prices for those. and if i'm paying laptop-like prices, might as well get the real thing.
Well the Dual-Core netbooks are likely just to replace the current upper-mid range netbooks so you should still be looking at sub $400 prices. They're worth waiting for since they should provide a big improvement in the ability of netbooks to multi-task which is by far their worst point right now.