MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
Psych 1X03 goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 11-11-2009 07:18 AM
psych 1x03 Alessia First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2009 01:27 PM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03

Psych 1X03
Intro to Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Published by davey
12-13-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 80%
Post Psych 1X03

I'm not exactly sure how much this course has changed over the years, but this year, Psych 1A03 got renamed to Psych 1X03.

So this course introduced you to some of the most basic concepts and theories in psychology. I'd say this a pretty unique course in the fact that all lectures were viewed online. Some weeks we had to view two lectures, and in some weeks we only had one. Making notes from the lectures was pretty time consuming, but it was nice because if you missed something, you could always rewind and catch it. Throughout the course, we had one hour of review sessions and one hour of tutorial a week. Review sessions were optional, but at the end of each review session was a mini quiz which could decrease the weight of your final exam by 10% if you did better on the 10 mini quizzes than the exam. Tutorials were pretty interactive, and we did alot of activities and had some interesting discussions.

We also had three assignments over the term, two individual assignments which were worth 5% each (which were pretty simple), and one group assignment worth 20%. An option was given at the end of the term to revise your group assignment and hand it in again for extra marks. Your make-up assignment would reduce the weight of your original by 5%. Over the term, you also had the option of participating in 2 hours of experiments to decrease the weight of you exam by 5% (free marks! =p).

The midterm was fair but tricky and consisted of short answer and 40 multiple choice questions. The final was alot of easier than the midterm in my opinion, and consisted of 40 multiple choice questions only, including one joke question (a freebie!) and a bonus mark at the end if you allow them to use your exam data in their research.

Topics covered in the lectures included levels of analysis, research methods, memory, attention, personality, psychopathology (my fave!!), learning, categorization, the influence of others, forming impressions, and language. I found the material quite interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed the course.

Allana:), daisy, IbrahimH, Jason036 all say thanks to davey for this post.

Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 1X03!

Old 12-14-2008 at 01:30 PM   #2
shleyaa
Program: Nursing
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 8 Times
In addition to what Davey's said, Psych lectures are only up for a limited time so you should definitely make sure you don't fall behind. I found the core sessions kind of pointless to be honest. You watch the lecture on your own time, then you go to class and talk about what you watched, do the quiz, then go to tutorial and again talk about what you watched...it's so unnecessary (i don't see why they can't just distribute the quizzes during tutorial).

Anyway, tutorials are actually really fun with all the activities the TAs plan to enhance your understanding of that week's lecture...to be frank, psych tutorials along with anatomy labs were the 2 classes out of my entire week that I looked forward to going to. You can probably tell that I thoroughly enjoyed this course as well. I still find myself applying all the concepts I've learned to many situations I encounter...

daisy says thanks to shleyaa for this post.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-14-2008 at 01:46 PM   #3
davey
Elite Member
Year: Third

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shleyaa View Post
In addition to what Davey's said, Psych lectures are only up for a limited time so you should definitely make sure you don't fall behind.
Contrary to what they told us, they put them all up again right before the final. =p
Old 12-30-2008 at 02:07 AM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology
Year: Other

Liked: 98 Times
Well...

the lectures were not removed from webct. Only the link from the lecture page was...

daisy says thanks to sinthusized for this post.

Old 06-30-2009 at 04:29 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times
The thing I liked about the first year Psych courses was that you would ALWAYS get more out of it than what you put in. You can take the route of not watching your lectures, missing review classes etc and still do very well.

Or, you can go above and beyond and do things like actually meeting Dr. Joe Kim during his office hours (and he usually has snacks!), participating in experiments (rewarded with bonus marks and cash!) and reading your textbook (which you may or may not be tested on). Follow that route, and you'll get bonus goodies to go along with your high mark.

The only things that are really necessary to get a high mark in the class are:
ATTEND THE BIG REVIEW SESSION, and to a lesser extent, go to tutorials.

The BIG REVIEW is a 3 hour lecture run before midterms and exams, where they go over, well, pretty much everything you've done so far. You can easily get a 90 on the exam and midterm, just based on the info from this review. They do go fast (especially if your note taking skills are as bad as mine!) but don't let them slow down or you might not cover everything. Just suck it up for the three hours, and write till your hand falls off. It fills up quickly, so I recommend going 45-60 minutes early if you want a good seat.

Tutorials are a great way to learn concepts, and the TAs are pretty good. But the main reason to show up is for attendance marks.

In terms of buying the course ware, I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't buy it for 1X03 or 1XX3 and did fine. HOWEVER, for 1XX3 we were actually tested on concepts from the courseware, that were not covered in lecture or review. Rumour has it that this was brought on by poor sales of the 1X03 courseware, which means you guys might be unlucky enough to be tested on it for 1X03.

Tests and exams were, in my opinion, very easy. However, it really depends a lot on your background. Students used to the multiple choice style of Bio or Chem will find these a walk in the park. Students who haven't had much experience with multiple choice might struggle a bit more. A guide on how to take multiple choice tests online might help if you fall in the latter category.

Overall, I highly recommend this course to everyone. When you are struggling to study for Chemistry and Calculus in the same week, a course with a flexible lecture schedule helps a lot.

bubbly, daisy, Jason036, lorii, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 04:41 PM   #6
FK27
Program: Social Work
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
They've recommended taking introductory Bio along with this course if u have not taken it in grade 12...would you suggest it? will it help?
Old 07-03-2009 at 05:29 PM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Possibly. We didn't cover very much in 1X03 that you would need a bio background for. Obviously a good understanding of evolution helps (and I'm constantly surprised by how many people do not have that). It would definitely be helpful for Psych 1XX3 which focuses a lot more on evolution and neuroscience. But you don't cover any really difficult Bio concepts or anything, nothing that you couldn't learn on your own.

If you are planning on majoring in Psych though, you need to have Bio.

FK27 says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 12:43 AM   #8
sinthusized
Elite Member

Here is a taster for the online lectures

Except not so funny, usually.

daisy says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 01:04 AM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Dr. Kim is always hilarious.

I still crack up at how he described the four F's!
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:05 AM   #10
Harlequin
Program: BioPsych
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 35 Times
LOL. Fight Flight Feeding and well ... reproduction
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:07 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Whoa, I was imagining it was some old guy. Hmm, he's pretty young... Makes for watching lectures much more bearable haha.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:43 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Yeah! same.. I imagined him to be much older than this.. Hmm maybe the lectures won't be too boring to watch online
Old 07-07-2009 at 07:09 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
LOL. Fight Flight Feeding and well ... reproduction
omg.. haha, i must have missed that joke when i saw the lecture .. i dunno i kind of found his voice sleep inducing.
Old 07-08-2009 at 04:35 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
omg.. haha, i must have missed that joke when i saw the lecture .. i dunno i kind of found his voice sleep inducing.
Sleep inducing in a bad way, like he's monotone and boring? Or in a good way, like he has a .. lullaby voice o.o
Old 07-08-2009 at 04:37 PM   #15
Harlequin
Program: BioPsych
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 35 Times
Maybe a bit monotone-ish but I didn't find him that bad.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search