MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 114 05-30-2014 10:59 AM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
psych 1x03 Alessia First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2009 01:27 PM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03

Old 10-30-2009 at 10:22 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Psych 1X03
How did people find the midterm?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-30-2009 at 10:28 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Based on the first years I've talked to so far, it didn't go so well for a lot of them.
Although apparently Dr. Kim had some very entertaining questions, one including a rabid dentist...
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:34 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I would have liked either of the following.
More questions, including more memory questions.

If the test had to be difficult, I would have preferred even an half hour more of time, OR more questions.

If time could n ot be allotted and we had to have a difficult exam, I would have preferred many many more relevant practice questions.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-30-2009 at 11:02 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I would have liked either of the following.
More questions, including more memory questions. .
university does not test how much you can memorize but rather how you understand the material

Kevin S likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:13 PM   #5
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I thought it was really tricky and I was really tight on time!!! I was rushing it so much because we technically had about 1.5 minutes for each question... and each question was so long that it took about a minute to read!!

If I could change one thing it would definetly be the amount of time given for this midterm. It was defenitley not enough for a midterm that required so much thinking!
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:14 PM   #6
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
university does not test how much you can memorize but rather how you understand the material
By "memory questions", I think she meant questions from the memory unit/section.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:31 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
By "memory questions", I think she meant questions from the memory unit/section.
Oh, the possibilities

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-30-2009 at 11:37 PM   #8
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Just an FYI - the majority of people left between 45 minutes and 50 minutes. Most classes that I have taken schedule midterms so that the majority of people finish on time - every class has people that don't finish. If there's any bright side to this - it normally gets better as your progress through University because you learn different testing tactics that work for you!
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:49 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Just an FYI - the majority of people left between 45 minutes and 50 minutes. Most classes that I have taken schedule midterms so that the majority of people finish on time - every class has people that don't finish. If there's any bright side to this - it normally gets better as your progress through University because you learn different testing tactics that work for you!
The test felt doable though tricky. However there were some questions where it was evident that it was a nice "bonus" mark if you will because a few were entirely knowledge based

But I would have preferred it to be a bit different.
Nobody that I have spoken to yet feels they've failed, but...people who put in the continuous time and effort studying don't feel satisfied with the outcome.

It's just much more convenient to have more time to be able to check over and avoid the small errors that add up. I think for the Chem exam, a lot of the general scribbling was done halfway and we just repeatedly checked.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-31-2009 at 12:40 AM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Like others said above, the time wasn't too bad. it just wasn't sufficient to go over the question and ensure your answer is right/avoiding to rush.
It was one of those midterms that I just came out blank from, unsure of how I did. That's what most people I talked to felt as well.

But then again, most were going to Halloween parties, so I don't think they really cared about psych at that point
Old 10-31-2009 at 12:50 AM   #11
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

I thought it was insanely hard. I don't think the amount of time we had was sufficient enough. I sound bitchy yes, because I was one of those students that put in so much of my time, only to come out with the short hand.

I understand university is here to make you think and apply all that you've learned and acquired through years of learning, but what if it the content itself didn't prepare you or the prof? I don't think (for a lot of the questions) the material we covered had any use.

Yes, I sound like an angry bitchy first year student, it's because I am. I for sure thought psych would be interesting, but all it's been is listening to one man (who has the most annoying voice) talk on and on, using intricate words to explain a concept that could so easily be explained with some simple words and simple examples. Is that too much to ask?

This is more like a rant post than a comment, but oh well. I just had to get my word out there. I honestly thought I was ready for this midterm. Just go in, answer a couple of questions about concepts that didn't really seem hard, but clearly I was put to shame. And it wasn't just me.
Old 10-31-2009 at 01:00 AM   #12
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

from what my cousin says the mid term was a lot harder then last years but i helped him prepare for it and he seems to have done fine. So it seems to be doable with sufficient knowledge, and i couldn't disagree more with the above post. Dr Kims voice is not annoying when compared to the old guy from psych 1xx3 (cant remember his name) and i find his vocabulary to be pretty basic.
Old 10-31-2009 at 01:01 AM   #13
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

If the course is anything like last year then the final will be super super easy. So dont be angry...look forward to that!
Old 10-31-2009 at 01:11 AM   #14
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

i found the questions alot harder than any questions in the lecture, tutorial or elm quizzes. thats why i dont like the whole one test thing, because you have no idea what the questions are like or how hard they are.
Old 10-31-2009 at 01:14 AM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
from what my cousin says the mid term was a lot harder then last years but i helped him prepare for it and he seems to have done fine. So it seems to be doable with sufficient knowledge, and i couldn't disagree more with the above post. Dr Kims voice is not annoying when compared to the old guy from psych 1xx3 (cant remember his name) and i find his vocabulary to be pretty basic.
Do you mean Dr. Day?

He's a great lecturer.