MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 114 05-30-2014 10:59 AM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
Psych 1X03 goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 11-11-2009 07:18 AM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

psych 1x03

Old 09-15-2009 at 06:13 PM   #1
Alessia

Liked: 0 Times

psych 1x03
hi , i am thinking if chaging one of my electives , does psych involve alot of essay writting and readings ?

thank you
Old 09-15-2009 at 06:17 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

The course changed a bit since last year so some stuff might have changed but anyways:

Essay: last year it was one group essay (pretty short. Only needed to be like 2 pages). Group of 3. It *will* pull down your mark if you're group's not working well though.

Readings: Last year, none. Everything you needed to know was done through online lectures. This year apparently the courseware has more testable stuff on it (from what I've heard), but I doubt it'll be a lot of reading.
Old 09-15-2009 at 06:18 PM   #3
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessia View Post
hi , i am thinking if chaging one of my electives , does psych involve alot of essay writting and readings ?

thank you
I'm not sure if they changed it this year but last year there were no actual readings but there were a bunch of online lectures that we had to watch. In terms of essays I think there were 1 or 2 but done in groups.

Old 09-17-2009 at 06:03 PM   #4
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

Psych
There were a total of three assignments one of which was a group essay worth 20% (do or die - depending on group). Then two other mini-assignments worth 5% each (pretty simple). Tutorial marks were like 10% (easy to obtain as long as you participate or talk enough times). Then there's 20% midterm which was brutal. Then there is 40% exam which was actually easier than test. All I can say is watch the lectures on time, so you will not mess up on the end of class quizzes which boosts your mark if you do bad on exam.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to kamalprasher for this post.
Old 09-18-2009 at 12:54 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

This is what it says in the Psych handbook in terms of essay writing and readings:

Written Assignments (15%)

Three assignments worth 5% each will be distributed in tutorial. ... designed to improve research skills including working with primary journal articles, analyizing experimental design, and scientific writing.

No mention of group work here. Although, there may still be group work, who knows - but it wasn't mentioned at all.

Tutorial Participation 10%
ELM Quizzes 10% (6 quizzes, multiple choice, 2% each, lowest score won't count towards mark)
Midterm 25% - (may cover material in web modules, tutorials & handbook readings. None from textbook)
Final 40% - culmulative (covers information from entire term)

The handbook doesn't have THAT much reading. The web modules are easy to follow as you can copy down everything Dr. Kim is saying by clicking on the 'notes' tab. (You'll know what that means if you switch. :])
Old 09-18-2009 at 01:13 PM   #6
Al-mansi

Liked: 0 Times

hmm i am in that class, and im wondering if we get to chose our own groups
Old 09-18-2009 at 01:27 PM   #7
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-mansi View Post
hmm i am in that class, and im wondering if we get to chose our own groups
I think it depends on your TA. Mine picked our groups for us (for the essay thing).