MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
Psych 1X03 goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 11-11-2009 07:18 AM
psych 1x03 Alessia First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2009 01:27 PM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03

Old 12-13-2008 at 03:54 PM   #16
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Psych 1X03
I'm not exactly sure how much this course has changed over the years, but this year, Psych 1A03 got renamed to Psych 1X03.

So this course introduced you to some of the most basic concepts and theories in psychology. I'd say this a pretty unique course in the fact that all lectures were...

Last edited by dvy88 : 12-13-2008 at 04:05 PM.

all say thanks to davey for this post.

like this.
Old 07-09-2009 at 01:57 PM   #15
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
well i don't know, not bad but I missed that joke .. he kind of speaks like the psychologist in law and order SVU
Old 07-09-2009 at 03:02 PM   #16
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times
i did not like this course at all,
despite keeping up with the lectures every week, and studying i did not do well in the course
1.) group work, for the most part the assignments were marked pretty easily, however for the last assignment, i was put with 2 others who didn't work hard on the assignment and i did poorly, the worst thing is that all three group members share the same mark
2.) who is dr kim, i have never see him before, is he even real?
Old 07-09-2009 at 04:08 PM   #17
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Yes, he is very much a real person. He was the one speaking in the online lectures we were supposed to watch ^.^ He actually came to every tutorial group to introduce himself, maybe you were away that day?

He's a really cool guy if you go to meet him as well. He had scones!

It does suck if you get put in a group that won't pull their own weight. The same thing happened to me, so I ended up doing most of it myself. Luckily it was only a one page assignment
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:18 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
i did not like this course at all,
despite keeping up with the lectures every week, and studying i did not do well in the course
1.) group work, for the most part the assignments were marked pretty easily, however for the last assignment, i was put with 2 others who didn't work hard on the assignment and i did poorly, the worst thing is that all three group members share the same mark
2.) who is dr kim, i have never see him before, is he even real?
Lol... I don't know how you were able to keep up with lectures yet never see Dr. Kim, unless if the lectures were only audio files.

That's why group projects suck! I've always hated that. I always ask my TA if we get individually marked, and if she says no, well it isn't pretty.

In one of my tutorials last year, we had to do a group project and at the end we had to evaluate eachother and say if we pulled our weight. In this other group, there was a girl that the other members didn't like and so they evaluated her simply based on that - when she had done the work. She went to the TA and explain the situation, but the TA didn't believe her and still gave her a lower mark.

That's why group projects just really.. really suck lol.
Old 07-09-2009 at 08:25 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Aw! that's soo sad :(
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:28 AM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Aw! that's soo sad :(
I know! I felt so bad for her. That's another thing Mac should change. I know that team work is important, but not when it's used to bully other people.
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:21 PM   #21
Meejo

Liked: 0 Times
Last year, he also did a few bonus-lectures just for fun at MDCL on some nights. Topics included "why people swear" and other FYI things.

PS: SAVE LECTURE LINKS! THIS WILL SAVE YOUR LIVES COME MIDTERM/EXAM TIME!
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:26 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meejo View Post
Last year, he also did a few bonus-lectures just for fun at MDCL on some nights. Topics included "why people swear" and other FYI things.

PS: SAVE LECTURE LINKS! THIS WILL SAVE YOUR LIVES COME MIDTERM/EXAM TIME!
They released all the lectures a couple weeks before exams :\
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:41 PM   #23
Meejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
They released all the lectures a couple weeks before exams :\
But if you procrastinated to the level I did, those couple of weeks might not be enough..... =D

Besides, if you save the links, you can do the lecture 3 weeks later, so you'll at least catch up a bit so you won't go crazy cramming it in for exam time.
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:17 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Haha, it's best to do it on time though, of course .. Procrastination is your worst enemy >.<
Old 07-21-2009 at 09:19 PM   #25
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I know! I felt so bad for her. That's another thing Mac should change. I know that team work is important, but not when it's used to bully other people.
Exactly! And since most people don't have the integrity to tell the truth.. There's no proof otherwise :(. They should really do it in a way that would be more fair.. E.g. do the work together, brainstorming and whatnot. But write your own report.. Or section of.. and be markedon your own for presentations and such.. That way.. you're in a group... but not in a group at the same time.. Otherwise, it's just plain unfair.
Old 07-22-2009 at 01:49 AM   #26
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Honestly, I only watched the first couple of lectures for Psych on time. I skipped the rest right up until the exam, and had no problems at all (in fact, this class was my highest mark!) The lectures are nice, but the Big Review session is more than enough to get you through midterms and exams.
Old 07-23-2009 at 12:01 AM   #27
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
How difficult are the concepts in PSYCH 1X03, how many hours a week are spent watching lectures online and how many hours are spent attending tutorials and review sessions at McMaster?
Old 07-23-2009 at 12:19 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
How difficult are the concepts in PSYCH 1X03, how many hours a week are spent watching lectures online and how many hours are spent attending tutorials and review sessions at McMaster?
I found the concepts pretty easy to understand.

Web Modules are about 1-2 hours, but it takes longer to watch them if you are taking notes.

Tutorials are 1 hour, classes are 1 hour (Not sure what's happening this year, but last year we had class and tutorial).

You don't have to attend review sessions. I don't remember how long they were (There might have only been 1 for the exam, I don't remember any for the midterms).
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:14 PM   #29
Meejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Tutorials are 1 hour, classes are 1 hour (Not sure what's happening this year, but last year we had class and tutorial).

You don't have to attend review sessions. I don't remember how long they were (There might have only been 1 for the exam, I don't remember any for the midterms).
Just for some clarification:

Classes are called review classes
Review sessions are the ~3hr things before the exam held by the lecture TA's.

Review classes are optional. You get a quiz (marks out of 4) during class based on the week's material. If you do better on these quizzes than on your exam, the quiz marks will count for 5 or 10% of the exam mark.

Just because it's optional, I am not advising that you skip them. I'd suggest that you go on a need-to-go basis (i.e. if there were things in the lecture you found difficult/confusing).

daisy says thanks to Meejo for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search