MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 2E03 vs Psych 2N03 Opinions thoughts etc lithiumforce Academics 3 06-25-2010 04:39 PM
Psych 2d03/2n03 s2ML Academics 9 06-07-2010 07:06 PM
Psych 2n03 plums Academics 1 11-07-2009 11:47 AM
Psych 2F03 or 2N03? tammy37 Academics 1 08-27-2009 07:17 AM

Psych 2F03 vs. 2N03

Old 06-05-2010 at 11:24 PM   #1
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Psych 2F03 vs. 2N03
I'm really stuck on which of these two courses to take. I'm really interested in neuroscience, however what I like most is the science behind psychology. I'm wondering which course would be best suited for my interests. Is the neuroscience course more purely scientific and less focused on the psychology aspect? Can anyone help differentiate between the two courses and give any advice on which one to pick? I'd appreciate it immensely!
Old 06-05-2010 at 11:54 PM   #2
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

Hey, psych 2F03 is mostly science-based. It's about synapses between neurons, lesions in the brain, how the senses work, etc. Neurosci is a great course! I did not take psych 2N03 so I dunno what the difference is...hopefully someone can elaborate on this more!
Old 06-05-2010 at 11:55 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

As far as my understanding goes of those two courses, 2F03 is more science intensive (and Biology 1A03 is a pre-req for it), so that might be more suited to your interests. I think there's a review for 2F03 on MacInsiders.
Old 06-10-2010 at 02:06 AM   #4
mac-sci

Liked: 0 Times

Here's the course review for 2F03. http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=21315
Old 06-10-2010 at 08:42 AM   #5
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I'm really stuck on which of these two courses to take. I'm really interested in neuroscience, however what I like most is the science behind psychology. I'm wondering which course would be best suited for my interests. Is the neuroscience course more purely scientific and less focused on the psychology aspect? Can anyone help differentiate between the two courses and give any advice on which one to pick? I'd appreciate it immensely!
I know that 2F03 is more calculation (nerst) and other more cellular approaches to neuroscience which s good if you ever want to study it in depth. For example say you wanted to know the molecular basis behind Alziehmers. If you are already taking alot of science courses and thing neurosci is cool, and want to learn a more general anatomy/behavioral approach to neuroscience then I would recomend 2N03 (which I have taken)- there was a bit of memorizing required with learning the parts of the brain and diseased states so you need to keep up with your lectures.

LIFE SCI 3B03 NEUROBIOLOGICAL MECHANISMS OF BEHAVIOUR A multidisciplinary approach to examining the neurobiological mechanisms of behaviour in both normal and "maladaptive" functioning conditions.
Three lectures/seminars; one term
Prerequisite(s): BIOLOGY 2B03 or LIFE SCI 2B03 and 2C03
The above is acutally as course that you can take later and supposedly they are working on making it more cellular based (talked to the prof)

It all depends how commited and in depth you want to learn about neuro psych and such

2N03 is also scientific but I found it was more anatomy based than cellular. For example you would look at what parts of the brain can result in abberant behaviors and defficiencies, in steps so for a week temporal, parietal...and so forth.
GL!

_Mike says thanks to salimak for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 06-10-2010 at 08:43 AM   #6
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

PS; we also learned about synapse LTP etc bt obv not in as depth and as complicated as in 2f03

Also If your in honours psych are you not required to take 2F03???

Last edited by salimak : 06-10-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: comment added
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:59 AM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Thank you very much that was extremely helpful! I can take 2F03 or 2N03. I think I'm gonna take 2F03 because I really like neuroscience; I just hope that it talks about disorders and stuff along those lines as well. Also, it seems like 2F03 is a pre-requisite or recommended for some upper-level courses I'd like to take so I don't think I have much of a choice, haha.

Thanks for pointing that course out to me; it looks pretty interesting. I was shying away from taking Cell Bio but perhaps I'll just have to suck it up haha.

Last edited by _Mike : 06-10-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2010 at 10:24 AM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

It did talk a bit about different disorders, but it was mainly for the parts that focused on systems we were looking at. We did Multiple Sclerosis, Guillain-Barré Syndrome, Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy, etc. A lot of stuff that focused on the eyes, ears, and muscular systems.

Also Cell Bio with Dr. Dej is pretty interesting material and not too hard, I would recommend it.