MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which name do you prefer for Quarters?
1280 111 76.03%
The Downstairs John 35 23.97%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
Quarters Matt Wright General Discussion 184 03-14-2009 10:52 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters Update

Old 06-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #15
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times
Quote:
Yeah... so, not really sure why it should correlate with the washrooms downstairs near Quarters
I was replying to someone else's post but they edited it or deleted it. They said that there were only bathrooms in the basement and one upstairs. I didn't know what they were getting at so I said that there were bathrooms elsewhere in MUSC as well.

Anyway, I'm lost now. I have no idea what this legendary Downstairs John was.

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:15 PM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
The Downstairs John, while having historic relevance, sounds bad. 1280, while being generic and generally tasteless sounds better.

I would prefer neither option, but out of these two I'll go with the more audibly pleasing name. 1280 it is.

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:21 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
I can just imagine incoming first years, and the students after that will probably like 1280. Sure... it sounds like a club name, but sigh, everyone goes to clubs these days. I personally haven't, but I know many who do.

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:14 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Lol. I kinda agree with "The Downstairs John" sounding like a washroom .. And it just sounds so.. 19th century.. on the other hand.. 1280 is .. unique?

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:16 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Also a question. feonateresa, you say it's not a club.. but I dont know, reading about it here.. and on the site and such does make it sound like a club. Would any one mind actually explaning to us disoriented first years what it really is =$, and Thanks!

Alex McColl says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:25 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Also a question. feonateresa, you say it's not a club.. but I dont know, reading about it here.. and on the site and such does make it sound like a club. Would any one mind actually explaning to us disoriented first years what it really is =$, and Thanks!
Haha, someone had commented that 1280 sounds like a cheap club name. Quarters... hmm, I guess it's sortakinda like a club, but when I go in there I'm not instantly reminded me of one. Clubs to me are like, dancing up on people, drinking and really loud music, sweaty and stinky people - stuff like that. Quarters is more like a hang out and it's not as intense.

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:29 PM   #21
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
possibly the worst names.
I dont get Option 1 (maybe it's just me), and option 2 makes it sound like a place that would smell like the dumps and doesn't say much for the type of service one would come to expect without any prior experience at Quarters D=

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:29 PM   #22
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
possibly the worst names.
I dont get Option 1 (maybe it's just me), and option 2 makes it sound like a place that would smell like the dumps and doesn't say much for the type of service one would come to expect without any prior experience at Quarters D=
1280 comes from the fact that McMaster is 1280 Main st.

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:32 PM   #23
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
1280 comes from the fact that McMaster is 1280 Main st.
Alright, thanks for clearing it up.

Regardless, now that I know, I still stand by when I say that the name sucks. If it gets chosen, I'll be damned if someone ever starts a countdown of 1280 bottles of beer on the wall. Ya, I went there.

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:35 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ohh I get it.. sorta.. but since I've never been to a club before I guess I can't compare. Also, what did it "offer" (i guess) before, just to get a jist of what it's like. And thanks feonateresa

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:59 PM   #25
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Ohh I get it.. sorta.. but since I've never been to a club before I guess I can't compare. Also, what did it "offer" (i guess) before, just to get a jist of what it's like. And thanks feonateresa

I'm not a big fan of Quarters so this is a little biased, but as far as I remember Quarters "offered" a cheap hangout for incredibly drunk first years ... the music was pretty bad the few times that I've been there, and the people were sketchy, and it just wasn't an amazing atmosphere. Hopefully that will change soon.

During the day, it was a pretty standard campus pub/restaurant... I think their wings were fairly decent.

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:03 AM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I'm not a big fan of Quarters so this is a little biased, but as far as I remember Quarters "offered" a cheap hangout for incredibly drunk first years ... the music was pretty bad the few times that I've been there, and the people were sketchy, and it just wasn't an amazing atmosphere. Hopefully that will change soon.

During the day, it was a pretty standard campus pub/restaurant... I think their wings were fairly decent.
Yeah, I usually went there for lunch... didn't stick around at night lol.

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:06 AM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Now I get why everyone is so excited for the renovations.. Hoping for change I guess? It would be awesome to have a nice hangout spot on campus.. really convenient. Is it expected to open by September.. or is that pushing it?

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:08 AM   #28
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Now I get why everyone is so excited for the renovations.. Hoping for change I guess? It would be awesome to have a nice hangout spot on campus.. really convenient. Is it expected to open by September.. or is that pushing it?
I think it's supposed to be open by September.

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:59 AM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Oh! awesome Hopefully it'll be better compared to before as you guys mentionned

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search