MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters

Old 02-11-2009 at 06:44 PM   #1
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

Quarters
What would you guys do to fix quarters - like actually make it a kickass campus pub. Unless there is valuable input, no one knows exactly what to fix. Post your experiences (good or bad), things you'd like to see, events you'd like to see, anything really.

If there are special nights you want to see, suggest them. If there is anything that would bring you to quarters more often, suggest it. If you have anything valuable to contribute, post in this thread.

lorend says thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:45 PM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Keep the VP Campus Events out.

Matt Wright says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:51 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Why keep Campus Events out?

Old 02-11-2009 at 06:54 PM   #4
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

it was a joke haha
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:56 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

WOOOSH!

That was the sound of sarcasm going over my head.

Old 02-11-2009 at 08:01 PM   #6
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Perhaps a mature night / upper year night where I wouldn't have to be surrounded by drunk 17/18 year old first years.

DannyV says thanks to DavidR for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-11-2009 at 08:22 PM   #7
pattyking18

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Perhaps a mature night / upper year night where I wouldn't have to be surrounded by drunk 17/18 year old first years.
if underage first years are getting drinks from quarters, then that's an indictable offense
Old 02-11-2009 at 08:24 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
What would you guys do to fix quarters - like actually make it a kickass campus pub. Unless there is valuable input, no one knows exactly what to fix. Post your experiences (good or bad), things you'd like to see, events you'd like to see, anything really.

If there are special nights you want to see, suggest them. If there is anything that would bring you to quarters more often, suggest it. If you have anything valuable to contribute, post in this thread.
Make it less smelly! whenever I go in there, it smells like dried up vomit and beer.
My 2 cents

thomaj25 says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 08:25 PM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyking18 View Post
if underage first years are getting drinks from quarters, then that's an indictable offense
Yes it is, but it happens all the time in many bars, not just Quarters.

I agree that a more mature atmosphere would be a pleasant change for Quarters. I really enjoy the Phoenix, something similar would attract me to Quarters more.

Old 02-11-2009 at 08:36 PM   #10
pattyking18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Yes it is, but it happens all the time in many bars, not just Quarters.

I agree that a more mature atmosphere would be a pleasant change for Quarters. I really enjoy the Phoenix, something similar would attract me to Quarters more.
that doesn't make it alright. fix the operating protocol or there may not be a quarters as we know it. i allude readers to the snooty fox situation.
Old 02-11-2009 at 08:48 PM   #11
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
i allude readers to the snooty fox situation.
elaborate?
Old 02-11-2009 at 08:58 PM   #12
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
They start drinking at about 4pm, then by the time they go out they're smashed.
Old 02-11-2009 at 09:09 PM   #13
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
that doesn't make it alright. fix the operating protocol or there may not be a quarters as we know it. i allude readers to the snooty fox situation.
I'm not condoning it, but I am saying that it's not the biggest problem that Quarters has right now. It happens everywhere, all the time. One way of fixing it might be to not hire student staff, so they don't let friends, or friends of friends break the rules, but then that's not fair to all of those students who need those jobs and don't show favourtism to certain individuals.

Besides, students are still going to pre-drink if they don't have a fake/ borrowed ID and the bouncers are not going to catch all of them.

Old 02-11-2009 at 09:21 PM   #14
AndrewC

Quarters needs to be run properly, which means doing a proper marketing plan. You can run as many events as you want however they don't matter because Quarters is not being run properly or efficiently. They are not capitalizing on special events such as Varsity sports, in particular football games that are now on campus. It hides under this umbrella that you cannot make a profit and that because other campus bars don't make money, they don't have to. I understand if they lose money on food, because they try to offer very low prices, however their largest revenue source has what should be a 200-300% profit margin, which somehow they remarkably lose money on. Interesting fact they LOSE money off of bottled beer, which is impossible. Look at this fact, retail, Molson Canadian sells for $1.50 a bottle, they sell it for a minimum of 2.75 on Thursdays. Let's be very liberal on waste, you should be making at least 50% profit, but instead they are losing thousands of dollars.

Continue to make these topics, you can get all the input you want, but until it is part of a proper marketing audit, nothing will change I am sorry to say.
McMaster University
Old 02-11-2009 at 09:37 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
They are not capitalizing on special events such as Varsity sports, in particular football games that are now on campus.
Quarters had tailgate parties for all of the football home games with the exception of homecoming if I recall correctly.

And for the most part, other varsity sports still play on the other fields. Furthermore, sports like rugby, soccer and lacrosse don't draw in large crowds, nor do basketball and volleyball.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement