MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters

Old 02-11-2009 at 09:44 PM   #16
owenadam

Liked: 0 Times

At the last SRA meeting, we asked when the last consultation took place. The respondent mistook what we were saying and talked about annual budget updates and audits, but what we really wanted to see was professional restaurant consulting.

Have someone with a history of running successful restaurants come in and look around. It won't fix all the problems, but getting some professional feedback is a step in the right direction. I wonder what Gordon Ramsey would charge...

Remember that restaurants and bars are the riskiest ventures one could take and they fail all the time. Quarters, however, is a flagship operation and is subsidized by students to the point where its completely incapable of failing naturally. Its sort of become a Terri Schaivo situation (sorry)
Old 02-11-2009 at 09:47 PM   #17
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

Just throwing some ideas around, if there was more of a pub atmosphere on both sides, as opposed to a club, do you think more people would come?

Also, taphouse has fairly small bouncers, but are well dressed and it helps to create a more mature staff atmosphere. Should maybe quarters look into a newer, less laidback attire? Personally, I think that collared shirts at the very least would help it look less sketchy (who decided on v-necks, honestly).

To my knowledge, there is now new accounting software being used (properly) to keep track of inventory, which should tighten up the numbers. In response to food, do you think they should revamp the menu? Maybe add some chefs in the kitchen who know how to cook bigger items at a higher price. Would students be down for this switch? Or do they want a bigger selection of pubfare?

Chad says thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 10:10 PM   #18
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I would go for bigger selection of and BETTER pub fare. Who deep fries a chicken patty, throws some sauce and cheese on it, puts it on a half bun and calls it a chicken parmesan sandwich? Gross.

If they were to go toward less pub fare and more meals they should seriously make it better quality. I know I keep referring to the Phoenix but I feel that the food is reasonably good for the prices. I've only been disappointed once with my choice of food there and I think it was only because it wasn't the usual chef/ he was super busy because I've had that item before and it was fine

Old 02-11-2009 at 10:33 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Just throwing some ideas around, if there was more of a pub atmosphere on both sides, as opposed to a club, do you think more people would come?

Also, taphouse has fairly small bouncers, but are well dressed and it helps to create a more mature staff atmosphere. Should maybe quarters look into a newer, less laidback attire? Personally, I think that collared shirts at the very least would help it look less sketchy (who decided on v-necks, honestly).

To my knowledge, there is now new accounting software being used (properly) to keep track of inventory, which should tighten up the numbers. In response to food, do you think they should revamp the menu? Maybe add some chefs in the kitchen who know how to cook bigger items at a higher price. Would students be down for this switch? Or do they want a bigger selection of pubfare?
As mentioned by Sabrina, I too would pay more for better food. I have never been disappointed by the Pheonix...perhaps the two should join forces due to the eminent destruction of Wentworth House? Pheonix during the day and Quarters at night?

Another issue with food at Quarters is it takes soooo long. I don't know if this is due to being understaffed or not, though.

And V-necks (on guys) are ewww. I totally agree that there should be something more formal about the attire of Quarters staff -- there are lots of Companies that sell collared shirts for pretty cheap. This means non-bouncers should be wearing them too through.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-11-2009 at 10:41 PM   #20
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking this. Has anyone noticed that there is not much Mac stuff in Quarters? Like maybe throwing the Mac Logo on the wall, or something, would kinda show its a student bar/pub. Anyone??
Old 02-11-2009 at 10:43 PM   #21
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

There is some mac stuff, but you're right, a lot of it consists of alcohol brands and ads

Old 02-11-2009 at 10:44 PM   #22
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Lol I JUST realized that the floor is a football field...thank you Ian Finlay for pointing that out to me hahah
Old 02-11-2009 at 10:47 PM   #23
kokosemara

How about making it smell less like a trashhole. And get better lighting. And get rid of those terrible giant glowing ads in the hallway.
Old 02-11-2009 at 10:48 PM   #24
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

It's a club... so the lighting is bound to be dim...and during regular hours I've never had a problem with lighting. And what's wrong with the ads in the hallway? They should be bringing money in, no?

Old 02-11-2009 at 10:50 PM   #25
kokosemara

Hey is The Phoenix open right now? You guys wanna go?

Phoenix, Lorend, Koko, Temara you in? We'll get trashed, Steps2health will be there, it'll be good.
Old 02-11-2009 at 10:53 PM   #26
kokosemara

Where's mah boi Chad at?
Old 02-11-2009 at 11:05 PM   #27
kokosemara

I know y'all are online.
Old 02-11-2009 at 11:05 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking this. Has anyone noticed that there is not much Mac stuff in Quarters? Like maybe throwing the Mac Logo on the wall, or something, would kinda show its a student bar/pub. Anyone??
I agree! But I think the football field floor thing is new! Or...I fail at being observant. Also possible.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-11-2009 at 11:06 PM   #29
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosemara View Post
Hey is The Phoenix open right now? You guys wanna go?

Phoenix, Lorend, Koko, Temara you in? We'll get trashed, Steps2health will be there, it'll be good.
Negatory. I need sleep, Temara needs to study, and Sabrina is a pooface who also needs to sleep...and should likely start essaying.

Thanks for the invite tho! They have good nom-ables...

Old 02-11-2009 at 11:07 PM   #30
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I agree! But I think the football field floor thing is new! Or...I fail at being observant. Also possible.

More like probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Negatory. I need sleep, Temara needs to study, and Sabrina is a pooface who also needs to sleep...and should likely start essaying.

Thanks for the invite tho! They have good nom-ables...
I prefer asshat thank you. And I have started!