MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters

Old 02-12-2009 at 05:44 PM   #46
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Ian got rid of the holding the line thing. The problem with it now is that on a busy night there are a ton of people in line and each person's name needs to be verified to make sure they aren't banned from the premises. It does slow it down, but does show that those idiots who start fights, and bottle others don't get back in.

The problem with Quarters is that (as evidenced) people place a stigma on it, and then hold onto it for multiple years. Sabrina admitting that a bad experience at a bar night a few years ago has influenced her decision to never come back. Frankly, I find it to be way more comfortable than Phoenix. Granted, I have spent a great deal of time at Quarters and have become friends with just about everyone there.

I for one am not a proponent for increasing quality of the bar nights, and instead increasing the quality of the everyday operations of the place.
Old 02-12-2009 at 05:51 PM   #47
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

I suggest that there be two lines: one for those underage, one for those with VALID 19+ ID. This way, people that are actually going to spend money at the bar can get in and not get stuck behind a group of underage people who are only going to be paying cover. This also doubles as a security feature because it will increase the chance of catching someone with a fake.

Solution #2: any bouncer caught taking bribes, reprimanded immediately. No paying the bouncer at the CNH side entrance or coming in through the art quad stairs or coming up through the backstage doors. Once this is enforced, maybe someone will start taking security seriously. If there is one more sexual harassment comment or racial slur directed at a Quarters patron, they should have one huge rehire and forget this whole "giving students jobs" crap they've been pulling for months.
Old 02-12-2009 at 05:55 PM   #48
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
I was at every football game, one game we went for a beer and they were closed for a concert, we only got in because one of my friends was a bouncer at the time. They failed miserably to capitalize on this.
Tailgate parties normally happen before games, and that's how they were marketed at Quarters.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-12-2009 at 09:39 PM   #49
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
and it’s closed on a Saturday Night! (Really, who closes a club on a Saturday? - The MSU).
Quarters only closes on Saturdays when it's not worth it to stay open. What are they going to do, stay open and waste money on the electricity and wages?

Quote:
If the SRA and the MSU are run by people who don’t like clubbing, you’re going to see them run a club into the ground.
Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I do not know all the ranks and responsibilities within MSU politics but what does the SRA have to do with the management of Quarters? Wouldn't that fall under the Manager's responsibilities... you know... the one that you just implied is an idiot.

Besides, you're making a sweeping generalization about the MSU and the SRA. How do you know they don't like clubbing? What you're implying is that just because 'they' don't like clubbing that they would deny that environment to the entire student population (as in the students who make up the MSU and SRA). That's an unfair generalization.

Quote:
One of the worst things Quarters has to overcome is the line problem. I’ve heard every argument as to why the line is long, none make sense. The fact that Quarters is likely the only club in Hamilton that has an indoor line-up should make it the perfect place to go in the winter. But people don’t go because the line is so long, then when they get in, the club is dead.

The line should move as quickly as bouncers can check IDs. If the club is dead, there should be no line.
Um, a long line is usually a sign of a busy night. As someone who monitors the cameras on Thursday bar nights, I can tell you that when the line is down by Timmies it is because the bar is full. Many bars have long lines, ever been to the London Tap House? Silante's? Long lines. Get over it.

Quote:
In regards to under-age students, I have a few solutions:
1) Have video cameras covering all the entrances and exits with managers reviewing the footage later in the week. Any bouncer caught taking a bribe and letting anyone in at an exit will be fired. Zero Tolerance.
2) If an underage person shows up and smells of booze, tell them to go home.
Where do you suggest getting money for those new cameras? Tell me, as someone who has a full time job, on top of your responsibilities do you also have time to review video footage that is anywhere from 5-7 hours long? Or would you suggest hiring someone to do that? Since Quarters is already in the hole they should totally invest in new security cameras and someone to man them every bar night.

Quote:
Quarters needs to abandon the Pub idea, or at least needs to abandon it on Thursday – Saturday. People who want to go to a pub don’t go to Quarters. The comments above confirm this. I can’t blame them. People who like pubs tend to become regulars at said pub. A person who likes going to Phoenix on a Saturday isn’t going to go to Quarters on a Wednesday; they’re going to keep going to Phoenix!
Quarters isn't a pub atmosphere on Thursdays and Saturdays! That's what people like me have a problem with! It's a club, with people who like to go clubbing!

Quote:
Pump up the proximity of EFRT and SWAT. If you have too much to drink, you’re safe and taken care of as opposed to worried about campus security fining you.
What, you want them stationed outside the door? Both of them having their offices in MUSC isn't close enough for you? Cause it's not like EFRT doesn't have anything else to do, they never go to Residences to deal with drunk students. No, never. Weren't you a CA? C'mon, this is basic Residence Life.

And Security will only fine someone if they deserve it. You can be drunk and not get fined by the cops. If you're not being an idiot, they'll send you on your way home. If they fined everyone who was drunk then almost every SINGLE person in Quarters would be fined. Contrary to popular belief, they're not all out to get you.

lorend, Phoenix all say thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 02-12-2009 at 09:54 PM   #50
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

creepy steve. ew.
Old 02-12-2009 at 10:39 PM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Pump up the proximity of EFRT and SWAT..
First, it's Student Walk Home Attendant Team, or SWHAT. Second, SWHAT can't walk-home people who are intoxicated due to liability issues.

And I agree with kokosas; the purpose of EFRT is to deal with medical emergencies...drunk people at Quarters isn't a medical emergency.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-12-2009 at 11:01 PM   #52
kokosemara

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
I suggest that there be two lines: one for those underage, one for those with VALID 19+ ID. This way, people that are actually going to spend money at the bar can get in and not get stuck behind a group of underage people who are only going to be paying cover. This also doubles as a security feature because it will increase the chance of catching someone with a fake.
What, they don't already do that now? I thought the lineups were just for the underage people.
Old 02-13-2009 at 12:14 AM   #53
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

-Sheesha would have been a great idea, considering how many "sheesha lounge" places in the middle east/South east asia are making a killing! But I guess the no smoking ban ends it

- Sports! Quaters Can host/arrange/PROMOTE screenings of MLB/NBA/NFL and European Soccer. The benefit here would be to make money with the snacks/Drinks that people buy. I've been to a few Ucl Soccer viewings hosted by the Soccer Society(which are ideal time during weekdays 12-4pm), The turnout could potentially be far bigger if quaters advertises such events through its own
promotions on campus.

-As someone mentioned below quarters needs to lose the subliminal image of being a "nightclub". It should be more of a campus bar/pub where people actually "hang out" and hence spend money. Looking at the number of people who hang around at random places(Mills, Student centre), Quarters could possibly be another one to the list. I think though the presidential candidates have covered it

- The food definitely needs to improve ALOT! It has been "rubbish"(For the lack of better word) every time! And that is coming from a person who has grown up in a third world country!

- Quarters could turn into a hub for local musicians! If they allow local/Mac bands to play on random evenings(7-9 or 9-11) when there are no "campus events" events going on. This model has been used by a number of other pubs.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Chad says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 02-13-2009 at 05:48 PM   #54
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Quarters only closes on Saturdays when it's not worth it to stay open. What are they going to do, stay open and waste money on the electricity and wages?
If a Club/Bar cannot afford to stay open on a Saturday Night, it can't afford to stay in business. The only reason Quarters is still in Business is because your student fees keep it afloat. A Club MUST be open and profitable on Saturday nights to be viable.

Quote:
Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I do not know all the ranks and responsibilities within MSU politics but what does the SRA have to do with the management of Quarters? Wouldn't that fall under the Manager's responsibilities... you know... the one that you just implied is an idiot.

Besides, you're making a sweeping generalization about the MSU and the SRA. How do you know they don't like clubbing? What you're implying is that just because 'they' don't like clubbing that they would deny that environment to the entire student population (as in the students who make up the MSU and SRA). That's an unfair generalization.
It's not a generalization, it's a hypothesis (note the "if"). In the end the SRA is the governing body responsible for the MSU's businesses. The MSU have wanted Quarters to be too many things. Instead of being a very good Club with a Monopoly on Campus, it's bad at a large number of things. I'm not sure if it's because of bad management, or if it's because the manager is being micromanaged by the MSU/SRA. It could be both.

Quote:
Um, a long line is usually a sign of a busy night. As someone who monitors the cameras on Thursday bar nights, I can tell you that when the line is down by Timmies it is because the bar is full.

Where do you suggest getting money for those new cameras? Tell me, as someone who has a full time job, on top of your responsibilities do you also have time to review video footage that is anywhere from 5-7 hours long? Or would you suggest hiring someone to do that? Since Quarters is already in the hole they should totally invest in new security cameras and someone to man them every bar night.
Wait, let me get this straight. In one paragraph you stated that it was your job to monitor the security cameras, then in the next paragraph you complain that they'd have to hire new people to monitor my proposed camera! lol, wow! What's wrong, you don't think you can handle watching an extra video feed?

Quote:
Quarters isn't a pub atmosphere on Thursdays and Saturdays! That's what people like me have a problem with! It's a club, with people who like to go clubbing!
Then why does everyone keep saying "bar" nights. A Bar isn't a Club. There's a difference. Also, as you pointed out in your first paragraph, Quarters is a big empty room on Saturdays... it's closed remember. Also, you do realize that if they do make it a pub, you're out of the video camera job right?

Quote:
What, you want them stationed outside the door? Both of them having their offices in MUSC isn't close enough for you? Cause it's not like EFRT doesn't have anything else to do, they never go to Residences to deal with drunk students. No, never. Weren't you a CA? C'mon, this is basic Residence Life.

And Security will only fine someone if they deserve it. You can be drunk and not get fined by the cops. If you're not being an idiot, they'll send you on your way home. If they fined everyone who was drunk then almost every SINGLE person in Quarters would be fined. Contrary to popular belief, they're not all out to get you.
Well seeing as how I said nothing about moving them, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was talking about a marketing campaign for Quarters which points out the available services the MUSC has for them. If you get separated from your friends at Hess, you're alone on your way home (feel free to use that bad rhyme) but if that happens at Quarters you can turn to SWHAT. It would also point out that EFRT and Mac 5-0 aren't out to get you (a common misconception) and that if you've had too many, you can walk to the EFRT office for help without fear of fines from the Mac 5-0.

And yes I was a CA, so I know how many drunk 1st years stumble back to Res from Quarters... then the CAs get to take care of them until EFRT shows up. If only the 1st years were told by some Marketing campaign that it would be better to go directly to EFRT, maybe the CAs would use less biohazard kits.
Old 02-13-2009 at 07:00 PM   #55
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:

Wait, let me get this straight. In one paragraph you stated that it was your job to monitor the security cameras, then in the next paragraph you complain that they'd have to hire new people to monitor my proposed camera! lol, wow! What's wrong, you don't think you can handle watching an extra video feed?
Oh, of course! We totally have the time to watch an extra camera because someone MIGHT slip the bouncer a 20.

Quote:
Also, you do realize that if they do make it a pub, you're out of the video camera job right?
You let me worry about my job and you worry about yours. You're making assumptions about things that you know nothing of.

Quote:
Well seeing as how I said nothing about moving them, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was talking about a marketing campaign for Quarters which points out the available services the MUSC has for them. If you get separated from your friends at Hess, you're alone on your way home (feel free to use that bad rhyme) but if that happens at Quarters you can turn to SWHAT. It would also point out that EFRT and Mac 5-0 aren't out to get you (a common misconception) and that if you've had too many, you can walk to the EFRT office for help without fear of fines from the Mac 5-0.

And yes I was a CA, so I know how many drunk 1st years stumble back to Res from Quarters... then the CAs get to take care of them until EFRT shows up. If only the 1st years were told by some Marketing campaign that it would be better to go directly to EFRT, maybe the CAs would use less biohazard kits.
Yes Alex, you did say to move them. They should not be stationed in the basement at Quarters, that only makes it harder for them to get to other places. And putting them there is not going to change peoples minds about them.

How many ways do I have to say that "Mac 5-0" isn't going to fine anyone unless they're out of control? There's only so many ways to phrase it, but apparently you don't get it.

And no, people CANNOT turn to SWHAT when they're drunk and need a walk home. If you had read what Lorend posted, SWHAT does not walk home drunk people due to liability issues.

And I'm sorry that it sucks to be a CA and that first years are generally stupid when it comes to partying but the CA's signed up for the job. EFRT responds everywhere so excuse them if they can't be in every residence with every drunk student so that a CA doesn't have to deal with it.

Old 02-13-2009 at 07:04 PM   #56
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

We just got new speakers. New kickass speakers. It makes sense to keep one night on as club night. The pub aspect needs to be enriched. That's the simplest solution. Better food, better deals, better advertising, better business. 1 of the 6 days quarters is open can be beefed up as a club, but not until management realizes people don't want to get harassed by bouncers. Quarters isnt trying to be too many things, it is too many things - which is good. Why shouldn't quarters act as a different venue different nights of the week? it creates diversity and allows people to come out on the nights that appeal to their individual tastes.

Alex, you speak as if you've run a nightclub before, where was this located? -- I must not have seen it.

Chad, kokosas, lorend all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 02-13-2009 at 07:18 PM   #57
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post

Alex, you speak as if you've run a nightclub before, where was this located? -- I must not have seen it.
of course you cant see it Matt. No one has the ability to see into other people's dreams...
Old 02-13-2009 at 09:02 PM   #58
Alex McColl

While I was IRC VP Finance, we filled Quarters to Capacity on our Graffiti Night, and we turned a fairly large profit (at a DRY EVENT). Quarters currently looses money on beer bottles.

Find me a successful Bar/Pub/Club that's closed on Saturdays.

As a Club, Quarters is the only one on campus.
As a pub, Quarters is second rate to Phoenix.
As a venue, Quarters is the lame duck to Hospitality.

Where's your inimitable advantage? In which industry would you want to compete? Is it the one where you have the monopoly or the ones where everyone already prefers the competition?

PS: For someone who studies English you don't seem to understand it. "Pump up" is part of the common vernacular and means, "tell people." It has nothing to do with moving anything.
Old 02-13-2009 at 11:00 PM   #59
Alex McColl

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
-Sheesha would have been a great idea, considering how many "sheesha lounge" places in the middle east/South east asia are making a killing! But I guess the no smoking ban ends it
Include Scotch & Cigars and I'm there. Dam, Smoke Free Ontario Act!

Quote:
- Sports! Quaters Can host/arrange/PROMOTE screenings of MLB/NBA/NFL and European Soccer. The benefit here would be to make money with the snacks/Drinks that people buy. I've been to a few Ucl Soccer viewings hosted by the Soccer Society(which are ideal time during weekdays 12-4pm), The turnout could potentially be far bigger if quaters advertises such events through its own
promotions on campus.
This sounds like a great idea. Events at Quarters have much better attendance when they're run by clubs/societies that do all their own marketing. Forming a partnership with the Soccer Society for Soccer and Cultural Clubs for the Olympics would be great ideas. This is when the food would need to step it up.

Quote:
-As someone mentioned below quarters needs to lose the subliminal image of being a "nightclub". It should be more of a campus bar/pub where people actually "hang out" and hence spend money.
This we disagree on, however, there's nothing that says you can't be a successful Night Club Thursday-Saturday Night while also being a great sports bar in the afternoon and having live music or special events Sundays-Wednesdays. Good bands and good events run by Clubs/Faculty Societies/IRC/SOCS/etc will bring people in on their own. I just think Quarters needs to focus on being one thing at a time and get into a schedule. Random nights can annoy regular patrons and might turn people off since they won't know what to expect. Also, people drop a lot of money on high margin drinks when they're at a club.

I wish we could smoke inside... I really liked that Sheesha Lounge idea.
Old 02-13-2009 at 11:18 PM   #60
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

About the last point Alex, I don't know how exactly to explain it but IF it can manage to be both a friendly pub/sports bar AND a nightclub that'll be perfect! Because they two are very different entities, and for some a nightclub is associated with smell of alcohol,vomit, loud music, obnoxious behaviour and general social stress, that IS what I meant by "subliminal". Best example would be that girl who never went to Quarters again after a couple of visits.

For Quarters the nightclub Image isn't overt, Its subliminal hence we can easily find a way round it. Brighter Lighting perhaps during the week? A more neo-modern setup. But that Is something I'm not really an expert in, maybe as someone mentioned they need to hire a short term consultant. Sure It is over its budget and the consultant would cost money, but I think it'll be beneficial in the long run probably.

They could also probably ask the exchange students from Austria,England,Franc e etc if THEY have anything to share in this regard?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13