MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters

Old 02-17-2009 at 03:37 PM   #91
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Any kind of smoking is technically illegal by Ontario law, so no matter what, smoking can't be held indoors. The patio is however where students who smoke go to smoke, so yes that could technically work.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-17-2009 at 08:31 PM   #92
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Smoking can be a fire hazard as well as a health risk, FYI.

kokosas, lorend, temara.brown all say thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 02-17-2009 at 08:44 PM   #93
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

The point, when you actually bring it back to that, is that although sheesha would be enjoyed by some, it would deter a lot of others and therefore would probably not be a good thing for something like quarters to have...
Old 02-17-2009 at 08:50 PM   #94
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

You're right Temara. I think it would be a good idea for the patio on summer days/nights and would def draw in a different crowd. I dunno how well it would go in the cold which unfortunately, is the majority of our school year.

Old 02-17-2009 at 08:59 PM   #95
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
Whenever I was the "guest" of someone with a line by-pass card, I didn't pay cover. So I'm fairly sure that the SRA/MSU execs get line bypass and free cover for themselves and a guest.
Like Rohan, Temara and others who have posted in this thread, I have the PTM card. And I have had to pay for my cover.

You have never had one of the cards, as you were not a part of the SRA, nor were you a PTM. As an alumni you can't be either of these unless you decide to pursue another undergraduate degree. Because you have never had a card, I also assume that you didn't know there were different levels of PTM cards, yes? And can you also tell me what some of the benefits are other than the line by-pass?

Just so you're aware...the by-pass does not apply to all of the cards.

Furthermore, what does any of this matter to you? You don't go to McMaster anymore, so IF we were able to get into Quarters without paying cover what does it matter to you? How does that take revenue away from Quarters

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 02-17-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: ghosts.
Old 02-17-2009
temara.brown
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-17-2009
lorend
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-17-2009 at 09:43 PM   #96
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Please keep discussion to the topic of Quarters and ideas for how Quarters can be improved. Discussion about the Smoke Free Ontario Act have been moved to a new thread.
Old 03-02-2009 at 09:07 AM   #97
batman

Liked: 6 Times

Another thing that really turns people of Quarters is the fact, or at least in my experience, that these things happen:

1. Getting turned away because the bouncers think your real ID is fake. This has happened to a number of my friends this year, and I mean, why would you go back, if a bouncer can't even get that right. I know you're worried about fakes, but c'mon, really. Ask for a credit card, something, MAC ID, to prove their identity, don't just turn them away.

2. The fact that if you are underage, you don't know if you're getting in or not. In the past, I've waited in that line for a good hour, got to the front and been told, oh nobody 18 tonight. Why couldn't that be made public knowledge so I could have gone home and not stood in line like an idiot for an hour.

3. The food. Real cheese has been brought up, and I'll say it again. I don't want to eat Cheeze Wiz, or whatever its called. Another thing, I ordered some kind of Salad with noodles there once, and the noodles should be crispy, as they are everywhere else you order it. Instead I get an ice cold salad, with soggy noodles. I had 2 bites and just told them to forget it. I waited 30 minutes to eat shit, sorry, I'm not going back there.

4. With regards to the underage drinking problem, nothing you do is really going to change anything, the amount of predrinking in res is insane.
Old 03-02-2009 at 10:23 AM   #98
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I have to admit...A lot of people came out to the Mardi Gras event. Whenever there's a themed event at Quarters, I always hear students discuss it and ask others if they're going. So as long as they can come up with creative ideas for themes, I think this situation would improve. I have to agree though with the post above. A lot of the times, the bouncers announce that they are not allowing any more underage students in Quarters although they have been waiting in line for hours. Not sure how this one can be solved though...
Old 03-02-2009 at 10:32 AM   #99
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
...A lot of the times, the bouncers announce that they are not allowing any more underage students in Quarters although they have been waiting in line for hours. Not sure how this one can be solved though...
I think this one actually has something to do with the strict laws quarters has to follow. Because it's a campus bar, it gets a lot more scrutiny than a lot of other places.
Old 03-02-2009 at 02:41 PM   #100
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

I've mentioned this several times and no one seems to be listening on the idea of a "macro" change to quarters.

Get two lines going: one line for people 19+ with valid ID, and one line for students UNDER 19 who have a student card. That way, the bouncers can announce to the under 19 line that they are at capacity and to go home.

As to the mention of bouncers turning away real IDs and claiming they are fake, perhaps someone should suggest a training program BEFORE working that isn't limited to whether or not you can walk and talk. (Harsh but very, very fair)

SIMPLE PROBLEMS NEED SIMPLE SOLUTIONS.
Old 03-02-2009 at 06:28 PM   #101
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Does anyone know if the bouncers recieve any Smart Serve training? The waitstaff must by law...my point being that you learn how to read ID's when you take Smart Serve

Old 03-02-2009 at 06:36 PM   #102
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Quarters could also invest in one of the scanning devices that can definitively say if an ID is fake or not. It takes the same amount of time as a bouncer to look at ID and would stop the problem of fakes.
Old 03-02-2009 at 06:56 PM   #103
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
I've mentioned this several times and no one seems to be listening on the idea of a "macro" change to quarters.

Get two lines going: one line for people 19+ with valid ID, and one line for students UNDER 19 who have a student card. That way, the bouncers can announce to the under 19 line that they are at capacity and to go home.

As to the mention of bouncers turning away real IDs and claiming they are fake, perhaps someone should suggest a training program BEFORE working that isn't limited to whether or not you can walk and talk. (Harsh but very, very fair)

SIMPLE PROBLEMS NEED SIMPLE SOLUTIONS.
See, if they can do that, business would definitely pick up.