MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Which name do you prefer for Quarters?
1280 111 76.03%
The Downstairs John 35 23.97%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
Quarters Matt Wright General Discussion 184 03-14-2009 10:52 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters Update

Old 07-01-2009 at 01:07 AM   #30
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Oh! awesome Hopefully it'll be better compared to before as you guys mentionned
I sure hope so!

Old 07-01-2009 at 07:29 AM   #31
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
I can just imagine incoming first years, and the students after that will probably like 1280. Sure... it sounds like a club name, but sigh, everyone goes to clubs these days. I personally haven't, but I know many who do.
the ONLY time I know of anyone that went to Quarters last year was for their club nights...
so 1280 works IMO

plus I dont care how historical John is, A place named after a bathroom is not appealing at all...

Quarters was fine name wise I think but at least 1280 wont be embarassing sounding.

Old 07-01-2009 at 08:56 AM   #32
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times
Do we have an idea of how many people have voted on the "official" poll? I'm curious what percentage of the student population is having input on this decision. I can't imagine many people are checking the MSU Website over the summer considering how few do during the year.

They may have a "winner" but when it's chosen by 0.5% of the student population it doesn't mean anything. Oh wait, that's just like the MSU President too...

Alex McColl says thanks to DavidR for this post.

Old 07-01-2009 at 08:59 AM   #33
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
They may have a "winner" but when it's chosen by 0.5% of the student population it doesn't mean anything. Oh wait, that's just like the MSU President too...
LOLL. Oh man. For some reason I think they're purposely hiding how many people are voting, or what they're voting for. I guess in some way it makes sense, you're not influenced to go for what everyone else is going for.

Old 07-01-2009 at 09:36 AM   #34
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times
I can understand hiding "what" people are voting for. I'm just curious of the turnout. I feel like 300 people are speaking for 20,000 since they've decided to do this all through the summer on the MSU's decrepit website.

Old 07-01-2009 at 09:52 AM   #35
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times
Why is there this unofficial poll on Macinsiders? I don't get it. Seems redundant and stupid since it doesn't even have all the options, and the results don't do anything.

See the quoted post, clearly this person does not know of the other names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
the ONLY time I know of anyone that went to Quarters last year was for their club nights...
so 1280 works IMO

plus I dont care how historical John is, A place named after a bathroom is not appealing at all...

Quarters was fine name wise I think but at least 1280 wont be embarassing sounding.

My take on the names.
1280, sounds like a club. Like it was ripped off of 77 which is on 77 King William in downtown Hamilton.

Downstairs John is like a bathroom. Maybe a good pub name. Not a good name for a "restolounge"lol or a club.

Sterling Street isn't that great. Naming it after a street might be confusing to some people (specifically ***** and ******** students).

The Scholar sounds like a place for hth sci's where they can drink and pretend not to be huge ********* and try their best to *** ** and ** *******. But really, they will always be *****
(asterisks are intentional)

Union Station is not good. Already a place called Union Station in Toronto. Sounds like a transportation terminal.

Sterling Station sound like some transportation terminal. Again, similar to Sterling Street. If someone was going to shorten the name, they'd call it "Sterling" which can cause confusion.

tl;dr I don't like any of the names.

Then again, I'm not making any suggestions since I have no incentive to do so.
Names don't affect whether or not I go somewhere. It's the product and the service that matters more to me.
I mean, La Piazza and Creation X are pretty bad names, but I still go there since it's convenient.

The only reason I went to Quarters some nights instead of the other clubs in Hamilton is that drinks were cheap.

Worry about making a good service not the stupid name.
1280 is definitely biting off of 77 which is why I'm really against it.

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 07-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Old 07-01-2009 at 10:34 AM   #36
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
I don't see how 1280 is biting off anything. If anything, it's biting off the integer system. :] It comes from McMaster's address as we all know. I understand where you're coming from, there's a club-type place in Toronto called 'One'.

As mentioned in the other thread, no one liked Quarters in the beginning, and then it grew on everybody at some point. That was before my time, so I accepted it as it was, and so will the first years and the students after that.

And another note, as I've never really gone to Quarters at night, I didn't know how it was in full detail. But another person mentioned something about incredibly drunk people. Yeah, I think 1280 would suit it just fine.

Old 07-01-2009 at 11:52 AM   #37
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times
We will definitely post the results of the poll with the turnout and everything on the MSU website, once the poll is closed.

The BoD has been working with the service manager at Quarters to ensure that the best services will be offered to students this year. They have already started discussing means of improving the food and services that are offered. We all feel like the food and service are the most important issues regarding Quarters.

Keep the input coming guys. We appreciate it!

Last edited by nino : 07-01-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:28 PM   #38
casey.park
SRA Member
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
The Scholar sounds like a place for hth sci's where they can drink and pretend not to be huge ********* and try their best to *** ** and ** *******. But really, they will always be *****
(asterisks are intentional)
Was that necessary?

Old 07-01-2009 at 12:56 PM   #39
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Was that necessary?
yes. it's like madlibs. enjoy.

Old 07-01-2009 at 01:04 PM   #40
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times
FireDragoonX, that was completely unnecessary. Health Science students may find your post quite offensive even with the asterisks. Please try to make comments that are germane. You could have simply said that you dislike The Scholar as a name.

Old 07-01-2009 at 01:11 PM   #41
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
The Scholar sounds like a place for hth sci's where they can drink and pretend not to be huge partyers and try their best to have fun and be awesome. But really, they will always be cool.
that's offensive?

Old 07-01-2009 at 10:17 PM   #42
thatdudeukno

Any significance to the number 1280? Is it cause of the university address?

Old 07-01-2009 at 10:17 PM   #43
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
Any significance to the number 1280?
It's McMaster's address number.

Old 07-01-2009 at 10:18 PM   #44
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post