MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen's or Mac for engineering? App18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-06-2013 12:06 AM
Mac or Queen's?? App18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-31-2013 11:47 AM
MAC ENG vs. Queen's: URGENT mike_302 Computers & Tech 13 10-17-2012 10:44 PM
Queen Elizabeth II MacJk Financial Aid 0 06-29-2011 10:59 PM
Queen Elizabeth II Angoose Financial Aid 44 08-31-2010 04:34 PM

Queen's University

Old 02-26-2014 at 02:35 PM   #1
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Queen's University
I know this isn't a Queen's website hah. But I wonder if anyone here knows of friends or relatives or just anyone who's a minority that goes to Queen's.

If I don't get into Mac, I'll have to go to Queen's. I dug in and researched the school and found that it is plagued by a lot of racism and racial discrimination issues.

Now, I am not naive and I know that racism will exist everywhere. But from what I read online and hear about this particular school it seems things are pretty bad over there.

I have contacted the school itself directly and they were nice and helpful and told me that racism is not tolerated and what not.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited by Phoneup : 02-26-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2014 at 04:45 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
I know this isn't a Queen's website hah. But I wonder if anyone here knows of friends or relatives or just anyone who's a minority that goes to Queen's.

I hope I get accepted to Mac, but if I don't I'll have to go to Queen's. I dug in and researched the school and found that it is plagued by a lot of racism and racial discrimination issues.

Now, I am not naive and I know that racism will exist everywhere. But from what I read online and hear about this particular school it seems things are pretty bad over there.

I have contacted the school itself directly and they were nice and helpful and told me that racism is not tolerated and what not.

Of course the school is going to say that...what else would you expect? Contacting school officials isn't going to be at all helpful for something like this.

Queen's is stereotypically a "white and rich" school, according to a few friends that went there. I know one person (a white person) who left because she didn't like the homogeneity and the general culture of Queen's. I've never heard that racism is especially bad at Queen's. Then again, things change pretty quickly, since student turnover is ~4 years. It depends on the students, mostly, and the sort of people you are surrounded by - but that applied to any school.
Old 02-26-2014 at 05:15 PM   #3
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:

I hope I get accepted to Mac, but if I don't I'll have to go to Queen's. I dug in and researched the school and found that it is plagued by a lot of racism and racial discrimination issues.

Funny.
I am a part of ethnic minority myself (Korean) and I have never experienced any type of racial discrimination in Canada.
I've been here for 13 years by the way.
I don't think you need to worry about it at all.
I know a lot of friends at Queens actually and they're all Korean as well.
I've never heard anything about racism whatsoever.

If you do end up experiencing racism, just ignore it and move on.
Those racist people are not (hopefully) going to shoot you or physically offend you. It's only going to be verbal abuse in the worst case and why should this bother you?
I don't know about you, but It never bothers me to hear a random dog bark at me.
Old 02-26-2014 at 06:56 PM   #4
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
I hope I get accepted to Mac, but if I don't I'll have to go to Queen's.
Said every Queen's student ever.
Old 02-26-2014 at 07:15 PM   #5
AlicJ

Liked: 2 Times

I have a friend who goes to Queens. We still talks a lot, but I have never heard anything racist about Queens from him. He is Asian btw, even though English is the only language he speaks. The only problem about Queens he told me is that they messed up his residence, so he ends up living in a apartment close to campus, and fees are covered by the university, so it was not that big a deal.
Old 02-26-2014 at 08:44 PM   #6
Nikita

Liked: 2 Times

I did my first degree at Queen's (graduated in 2012), and never witnessed nor heard about any sorts of incidents involving racial discrimination. Some of my good friends there were minorities and I never heard any stories from them. Queen's is definitely a "white school" though... I experienced mild culture shock when I started at Mac because my classes were not 95% white people, haha. Oh how I enjoy the diversity here, well, at least relative to Queen's. So unless things have drastically changed in the last 2 years, I highly doubt that the university is 'plagued' by racial discrimination issues.

(Queen's is still messing up residence stuff? Wow...)
Old 02-26-2014
kasabian
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-26-2014 at 09:21 PM   #7
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasabian View Post
Don't worry, Mac has its share of racist people too. Except it's usually the indian people that are the worst but since ~only white people can be racist~, no one takes it into account.
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not but I will go with the assumption that you are. Just gonna say that it is a poor attempt at trolling if it is that.

Anyway to OP, I have not heard about a racism problem for Queen's from any friends, its probably just a few students but every place has that. Mac is a good school so good luck getting in and don't worry too much!

cheers.
Old 02-26-2014 at 09:52 PM   #8
Phoneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Said every Queen's student ever.
Wut? I don't wanna start defending the school and sound like I'll go there for sure, but you do know the entering average into Queen's unergrad is 88.3%, when compared to Mac's 83% something?

If Mac wasn't in my hometown and had such a mix of ethnicities, I would definitely go to Queen's.

Pls. to the people saying they have never heard about racism over at Queen's, well I have never heard about it too and I only know about it from the online reading that I do. Here are a few.

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/educatio...sity-students/
http://myams.org/news/statement-on-r...%E2%80%99.aspx
http://www.queensu.ca/news/articles/...cidents-campus
http://www.universityaffairs .ca/an...niversity.aspx
http://www.queensu.ca/news/articles/...cidents-campus

I have gotten in touch with the chair of an association that represents a group of minorities at Queen's, and he said he'll be giving me a call soon to talk about this. Really kind and nice of him!

Last edited by Phoneup : 02-26-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2014 at 11:22 PM   #9
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Wut? I don't wanna start defending the school and sound like I'll go there for sure, but you do know the entering average into Queen's unergrad is 88.3%, when compared to Mac's 83% something?
It was a joke.

Quote:
If Mac wasn't in my hometown and had such a mix of ethnicities, I would definitely go to Queen's.
To be honest, if I could go back and do it again, I probably wouldn't go to Mac. But I have friends that go to most other universities in Ontario and from what they've experienced, I can't really say where I'd want to go instead.

Last edited by Theashe : 02-26-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2014 at 02:25 PM   #10
Phoneup

Hey everyone. So the execs of a few clubs contacted me. They acknowledged the problem exists and that one might feel isolated and depressed.

On the other hand one might not notice the issue. Either way, I'm 20 and I'll have to start from 1st year because credits didn't transfer, and shit like this that is out of my control is something that I don't want to deal with especially considering it might affect my education and how I view the university.

Mac did accept me when I applied as a 101 back in HS, so maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic about my chances.

I'll update this thread in late april to early may when I hear a decision from Mac.