MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about second year eng pirates01 Academics 7 05-01-2011 12:14 PM
first year question lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-05-2009 06:24 AM
First year Chemistry Question kenvin100 Academics 4 08-19-2008 10:46 PM

question about 2nd year ultrasound!

Members have rated post #274741 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 09-01-2011 at 02:30 PM   #1
fragilebird

Liked: 0 Times

question about 2nd year ultrasound!
for anyone in med rad ...specifically for those in ultrasound...i have been looking at the textbook list for some of the courses this year and i was just curious as to whether or not it is worth it to buy all of the optional textbooks in addition to the required ones or if the required books are sufficient enough, please let me know your thoughts!
Old 09-01-2011 at 04:19 PM   #2
jaym

Hey! I'm going into 3rd year ultrasound and I don't remember which textbooks were considered 'optional' last year... But I'm pretty sure I bought mostly all of the books on the lists and used them all. If there's any specific ones just let me know and I'll tell you if they were helpful...

The main book that you'll need for Ultrasound is Diagnostic Ultrasound by RWC and will use it for almost every class.

fragilebird says thanks to jaym for this post.
Old 09-01-2011 at 06:13 PM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I'm thinking of switching into Medrad possibly Ultrasound. Is ultrasound hard compared to other 2 streams? Also, how much is the summer clinical placement? I heard it isn't paid.
Old 09-01-2011 at 06:31 PM   #4
jaym

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I'm thinking of switching into Medrad possibly Ultrasound. Is ultrasound hard compared to other 2 streams? Also, how much is the summer clinical placement? I heard it isn't paid.
I think they all have their difficult aspects. In my biased opinion, ultrasound is the hardest because there is a lot of pathology to remember and we actually get tested on performing ultrasounds in class, whereas in the other streams this can't be done due to radiation. It's definitely manageable though. And no, the clinical placement is not paid and costs normal tuition for the semester... I think approx. $2500.

jeboi7 says thanks to jaym for this post.
Old 09-01-2011 at 07:48 PM   #5
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

I noticed there are pass/fail courses...are they difficult to get by or no? How was the summer placement? Is it like working but they grade you and stuffs? Thanks for your reply btw.
Old 09-01-2011 at 09:12 PM   #6
jaym

No, for the most part the pass/fail courses are pretty easy to pass. You shouldn't have any trouble with it if you stay on top of things and practice lots. And yeah, for the clinical placement it's basically just like work but you have to do weekly reflections, a few case study assignments and evaluations. It's fun though!

fragilebird, jeboi7 all say thanks to jaym for this post.
Old 09-02-2011 at 11:55 AM   #7
fragilebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym View Post
Hey! I'm going into 3rd year ultrasound and I don't remember which textbooks were considered 'optional' last year... But I'm pretty sure I bought mostly all of the books on the lists and used them all. If there's any specific ones just let me know and I'll tell you if they were helpful...

The main book that you'll need for Ultrasound is Diagnostic Ultrasound by RWC and will use it for almost every class.
that book is the 2 volume set right?

also, i know this may be a lot to ask but could you take a look at this link for me? it lists allof the optional textbooks and the required ones...could you just tell me which ones you would recommend i buy?

http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/c...ECTIONG3= DAY CO1&wsTERMG4=114&wsDE PTG4=MEDRAD&wsCOURSEG 4=2N03&wsSECTIONG4=DA Y

thank you so much!
Old 09-02-2011 at 12:00 PM   #8
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Buy all the required ones, you will use them all...except for the Atlas of Human Anatomy, it's good to have as a reference but most people never use it.

Ignore the optional ones unless your profs tell you otherwise! Most of the time, if profs take additional material from the optional texts, they will include that material into your notes so you don't have to go out and buy the actual textbook!

jaym likes this.
Old 09-02-2011 at 12:44 PM   #9
jaym

Yeah, definitely all the required ones... I did buy Atlas of Human Anatomy but you don't really need it for anything other than for your own use if you like to look at images/diagrams of things. I didn't really use it very much though, so it's probably not worth the money if you don't think you'll use it.
You will use all of the other textbooks though! And you might still have some of the textbooks listed as 'optional' if you bought them for your first year classes like pathology texts.