MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering admission program 2nd year mfattal General Discussion 19 06-10-2011 11:46 PM
level 2 engineering program notice jntyrhds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 05-21-2011 02:30 AM
Engineering Program selection killerbeatz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-04-2011 10:19 PM
Engineering II Program Sizes leech3 Academics 23 04-18-2010 08:50 AM
Question about the Commerce program 12345 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-18-2009 08:06 PM

Question about Engineering Program!

Old 05-11-2013 at 02:40 PM   #1
dlfduddjaak

Liked: 0 Times

Question about Engineering Program!
Hi,
I'm a prospective student who is currently trying to decide between Engineering or Science at Mac.
It's very hard to find out whether i would be right fit into engineering.
So i wanted to ask anyone in the engineering program why they decided to pursue Engineering.
Is there certain traits or qualities or talents or passion that made you think that you would be suitable for engineering?
I believe that it's the best to gain insight from people who are in Engineering Program themselves!
Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2013 at 03:02 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Well for me, i decided in grade 11 that i wanted engineering but i wasn't sure what stream i wanted to go to. I chose engineering because the only courses that i liked in gr 11 were math and physics; i didn't like chem and bio.
You gotta see what you like doing and go for it, for example if you like playing with wires and circuits you might wanna check out electrical engineering. If you like seeing construction sites and have a passion for how they build houses, you might wanna check out civil. That's how you get closer to deciding what you wanna do. From there, take a look at the courses that each program offers and see if they seem interesting.

Once you have an idea about engineering, take a look at the courses offered. That's how i chose mine I looked at the courses and a lot of them seemed interesting.

Here you go:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1202.html

Just click on any stream and it will show you the courses offered.
Old 05-11-2013 at 03:03 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Hey!
I find 3 things:

-From an administrative perceptive science is far more flexible than engineering. Most science programs have exceptionally vague guidelines. Ie. Take an elective from X list. Chose a math course from Y list. Engineering however has a very defined program (needed to obtain the professional accreditation). example: Take X,Y,Z courses (this eases up in your final year).

-From a degree perspective Science has more and more people taking Masters and PHds. Whereas an engineering (B.Eng) degree is often seen as perfectly acceptable for workplace, it is a lot more common for science students to go into graduate studies. Note there ARE Engineering streams that have a heavier focus of graduate studies such as Engineering Physics and Biomedical Engineering.

-From an Interest perspective. Science students want to push KNOWLEDGE. Come up with hypothesis and try to prove or disprove it in the hopes of improving human knowledge in that sector. Discover new things. Engineers take that knowledge and design tools and processes to either enable scientists to create their experiments or to commercialize that knowledge into a designed product. Engineers have to have a good understanding of science but will take shortcuts (extra rounding, ignoring several forces etc) to make design more practical. Design is the focus.
Old 05-11-2013 at 03:34 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Define science. Do you like studying the pure chemistry/physics or the applications of it. Eng is more application.