MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for Upper Year Health Science Students robots Academics 1 01-05-2011 10:14 AM
Health Science?/Studies? Not the program, the course Alchemist11 Academics 7 12-23-2009 12:34 AM
Question about Health Science Textbooks Mephisto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-21-2009 11:28 PM
Admission into Health Sci Yeah General Discussion 33 05-05-2009 07:28 PM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Question about health science program admission

Members have rated post #240753 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:56 PM   #1
valtorec

Liked: 0 Times

Question about health science program admission
I'm in grade 11 right now.

To put it short, I fast-tracked some important grade 12 courses in grade 11, didn't study as much as I should have, and I ****ed up, badly (76% in chemistry, currently 81% in biology). It's not that I'm retarded, but the things I went through this year.. it's just too long to explain (I don't want to make up excuses either, so let's just end it there). I maintained an easy 90%+ average in grade 10, and I really didn't expect this to happen when I was choosing my courses. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm disappointed in myself, and I know I can do better next year. I will be retaking both chemistry and biology in grade 12. I have confidence in myself to get at least a 98% in biology and 90% in chemistry the second time.

I can probably bring up my biology mark to 84% or so by the end of the semester since I actually smartened the **** up after some life reflection, and I got some things sorted out, but obviously, that shit is still a horrible mark.

My grade 11 marks consists of:
92% in computer science (AP)
87% in math (AP)
91% in physics (AP)
78% in chemistry (I took it in grade 10, back when I was dumb enough not to study) (not AP)
83% in biology (I took this in summer school of grade 10, and I regret it) (not AP)
some art courses, and
55% in English (yes, I know. It's because of some zeros that may be taken out by the end of the semester, so I might end with high 60s or something) (not AP).

I'm also going to be taking grade 12 English in the summer. I'm aiming for low 90s since I'll have a tutor, and I'll putting in a lot more effort than the bullshitting I've done this year.

I recently heard that McMaster, if your first semester marks are not 90%+, then they won't even look at your second semester mid term marks, no matter how high they are.

Okay, now that you have some background information about me, here are my questions:
1. If this is the case, should I be asking my guidance counselor to attempt to put in my chemistry and biology into semester 1 of grade 12? because 70s and 80s.. oh dear.

2. Is my grade 11 English mark (currently 55%, may be brought up to high 60s by the end) going to hurt my chances? I know Canadian universities don't care about grade 11 marks, but my guidance counselor is kind of worried, since health science is a really competitive program to get into.

3. Is taking grade 12 English in summer school going to hurt my chances? Again, I understand McMaster's policy, but I'm just making sure.. since it's ENGLISH.

4. What other things should I take into consideration to get into the health science program? I know extra-curricular is a big one, but what kind of extra curricular activities should6 I be doing?

5. What kind of volunteering do you recommend I do?

6. Any other advice to get into health science?

7. If I don't get in, what is the percentage of McMaster life science graduates that get into medical school?

I know my post was long, sorry.

Last edited by valtorec : 05-06-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:17 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Hi,

I really don't suggest fast tracking during the actual school year or summer school for that matter.

1) If McMaster truly does not look at your second semester midterm marks if you first semester's final marks aren't 90%+ then yes you should.

2) No it won't, don't worry

3) If it isn't part of your top 6, you should be fine really.

4) Not sure about extra-curricular beside volunteering.

5) Try volunteering at a hospital, for humans or animals for that manner for example?

6) When walking into each of your classes remember your goal, McMaster: Health Sciences. That should be more than enough to motivate you to do well [hopefully].

7) I don't have the answer to that, sorry.

Good luck in life bro.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:21 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Not in health sci, so I don't know what it takes to get in. But with respect to your current end-goal:

You don't need to be in health sciences to get into medical school

If you work hard, you can get in from any program.

For extra-curriculars, you should do what you enjoy. There's no magical formula for getting into medical school. Just be passionate about what you do and be able to talk about it. I didn't do any hospital volunteering in university and I mostly did social issues stuff because I enjoyed it.

English, believe it or not, is incredibly important. Being an effective communicator is a CANMEDs role. Ask McMaster if they care whether taking English during summer school would affect your chances of admission.

I wasn't in life science but you have to realize that a lot of people in life sciences don't want to get into medicine and all the more power to them. Some people go to university with the goal of med school and they realize that they're interested in other things. For instance, many people in my program ended up in professional programs and in grad school (research,physiothera py, OT, SL/P, etc.). In my 1st year class, there are several McMaster graduates who are non-health sci (Biochem, Biology, Life Sciences, Engineering).

Last edited by Lois : 05-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:17 PM   #4
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

1. no idea, sorry.

2. Grade 11 marks shouldn't matter. The requirements are for your grade 12 marks only. Considering the effort it takes to go through each application, I'm pretty sure no one cares or has the time to look at your grade 11 marks (don't quote me though lol)

3. No.

4. Don;t focus on particulars, but what your yourself a) enjoy and b)really think will help you as an indovidual grow. Never do something with the intent of padding a resume because you will gain nothing. Not saying that's your intent, but trust me, the things you gain when you are truly engaged in an activity will far outweigh anything you might gain from things you do for an application. So if you like chess, do chess club, if you like soccer, play soccer, etc. Just enjoy yourself, seriously. It's not worth being unhappy just to get in. You only get to live through high school once

5. Whatever you're passionate about.

6. Enjoy yourself and focus on personal growth. See where you lack and work on it. Appreciate the things you're good at. Don't stress to much. Healthsci really isn't the be all and end all of University. But it is great, so have it as a goal, but at the end of the day...don't dedicate your life to it, because there are so many wonderful things in life you can do. Everything will always work out for the best as long as you give it your best shot

7. No idea sorry.

Old 05-06-2011 at 10:12 PM   #5
valtorec

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the response guys. Let me add that I want to become a doctor for the right reasons, not because of money or whatever, so you don't have to talk about that ^^;

Also, I realize health science isn't the only program that can get you into med. school, but I really want to get into this program.

Okay, so I just need some more clarification on these answers.. if not, I guess I can call McMasters some time this weekend.

1. Summer school English (Gr. 12). How will it effect my chances?
2. How will my garbage mark in Gr. 11 English effect my chances? My guidance counselor said it might matter for competitive programs like health science.
3. Do they not look at your mid-term second semester if your 1st semester marks are not 90%? Because if I don't get chem and bio 1st sem., a 90 would be kind of hard.
Old 05-06-2011 at 10:30 PM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

They don't care if you have English in summer school. I'd say two thirds of the kids did it at my school (including me). I am positive it doesn't effect anything.

Also they do not look at your Grade 11 marks, or at least they didn't last year.
Old 05-07-2011 at 10:09 AM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtorec View Post
Thanks for the response guys. Let me add that I want to become a doctor for the right reasons, not because of money or whatever, so you don't have to talk about that ^^;
... Nobody brought that up except you. :\

justinsftw likes this.
Old 05-07-2011 at 10:14 AM   #8
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtorec View Post

Also, I realize health science isn't the only program that can get you into med. school, but I really want to get into this program.

Okay, so I just need some more clarification on these answers.. if not, I guess I can call McMasters some time this weekend.

1. Summer school English (Gr. 12). How will it effect my chances?
2. How will my garbage mark in Gr. 11 English effect my chances? My guidance counselor said it might matter for competitive programs like health science.
3. Do they not look at your mid-term second semester if your 1st semester marks are not 90%? Because if I don't get chem and bio 1st sem., a 90 would be kind of hard.
yea no one gives a shit why you want to be a doctor, we're all to busy looking out for #1, at least those of us who aren't insecure btches!
Old 05-07-2011 at 11:55 AM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
They don't care if you have English in summer school. I'd say two thirds of the kids did it at my school (including me). I am positive it doesn't effect anything.
Yep, doing summer school doesn't affect your chances. A friend of mine asked our guidance counselor a long while back and I'm sure that hasn't changed.
Old 05-07-2011 at 12:08 PM  
3am Coffee

Liked: 157 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-07-2011 at 01:27 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Pretty much just need a 90+ average with extra cirriculars I think...My friend in grade 12 last year got a 95% average and was making like some projects to test things on his own time and didn't get in because he didn't have much extra cirricular stuff other then his job. He went into life science because he didn't get into health science so my guess is you just need extra cirricular stuffzors.
Old 05-07-2011 at 01:40 PM   #11
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

just for the record i think its great to be motivated at a young age, anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous, don't listen to them tell them to **** off.

alh24, AmyLia, crazyfree like this.
Old 05-07-2011 at 04:48 PM   #12
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Pretty much just need a 90+ average with extra cirriculars I think...My friend in grade 12 last year got a 95% average and was making like some projects to test things on his own time and didn't get in because he didn't have much extra cirricular stuff other then his job. He went into life science because he didn't get into health science so my guess is you just need extra cirricular stuffzors.

Honestly, I don't know what they look at. My friend applied to health science at Mac in 2008, and she had a 95% average along with a LARGE number of extra curriculars (she had 1000 hours volunteering at a hospital, she was president of several councils, and other random volunteer crap) and despite all this, they rejected her...I've heard that at the end of the day, it's a lottery...
Also, summer school English shouldn't affect your chances, the mark you get will though. It doesn't matter WHEN you accomplish the courses as long as you have those 6 courses they use to calculate your admission average. I did half of my grade 12 courses needed for admission in grade 11 and got early admission because of it.

On the other hand, as many have already said, you don't have to do health science to get into med school though I've heard that it does give you a significant edge. I'm doing a 5 year engineering program atm and I intend to apply to med schools after I graduate.

Also, don't listen to anyone that says you shouldn't be thinking about it this young. Your life right now should be focused on school not partying imo...

Good luck!

alh24 likes this.
Old 05-07-2011 at 05:25 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^Yea, it seems like you just gotta get lucky for it or something.
Old 05-07-2011 at 05:58 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^Yea, it seems like you just gotta get lucky for it or something.
A lot of people say, getting in is like winning the lottery.