MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
psych 1x03 question dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-13-2010 08:30 AM
psych 1x03 tutorial question krispies123 Academics 5 09-09-2010 01:48 PM
psych 1XX3 core/tutorial question ela232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-12-2010 09:41 AM
A question about PSYCH 1X03 tauhaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-03-2010 05:40 PM
Psych question! **jewel 03** First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-26-2008 10:26 AM

Question Regarding Psych

Old 12-24-2009 at 10:45 PM   #1
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Question Regarding Psych
So I was feeling a bit curious and decided to look at the undergraduate calendar for the prerequisites needed for psych.. again, just to be sure. xD

According to the undergraduate calendar,
"One of MATH 1A03, 1F03, 1K03, 1LS3 or 1M03 must be completed by the end of Level II. Completion in Level I is strongly recommended."

I can't re-call from where, exactly, but I read that I needed TWO maths,
which is why I just currently finished MATH 1K, and have MATH 1M next term...
So I guess my question is... do I need the 1M next term?

Also, another issue is that it doesn't say what mark I needed to obtain in order to be eligible for this program.
I currently finished Math 1K with a mark that's.. less than great. =/
I'd assume I'd need to take 1M and get a decent mark, right?
Or retake the 1K next year? :s

Because from what I understand, I need to take Soc Sci 2J03 (Intro to Stats) in second year. Would taking 1M benefit me?

Another thing,
"Completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 3.5 and a grade of at least C- in PSYCH 1X03"

A C-?!?!
I also read somewhere that you needed at least a B+ to be considered eligible for a psych program...

or maybe I am just going insane..!?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

(this all falls under "B.A. in Psychology", btw.**
also, another question: what's the difference between a B.A., a B.Sc, and Honours? haha, sorry for the stupid question, but I really have no idea!)

Last edited by xo.monica : 12-24-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2009 at 10:55 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't worry about what you think you read sometime before.

Follow the rules that you see on the undergrad calendar NOW. If it says you only need one math, then only take one math. You can take the other as an elective but you don't need it. If it doesn't say what mark you need, then it just means you have to pass.

A BA is a three year program. Honours is a four year program. I'm assuming a BSc is more focussed on Science, which means you would need to take more science-based courses.

xo.monica says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:18 PM   #3
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

If you're doing honours, you're going need to take either 1A03, 1LS3, or 1M03. These courses require 1K03, which you've taken.

If you're just doing the B.A., you only need one math.

This website should be helpful,

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...rgraduate.html

xo.monica says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:24 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
If you're doing honours, you're going need to take either 1A03, 1LS3, or 1M03. These courses require 1K03, which you've taken.

If you're just doing the B.A., you only need one math.

This website should be helpful,

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...rgraduate.html

I see, Thankss!
So, like, is Honours considered "better" because it's 4 years? :S
like does it really matter which you do? :S
or do you need a certain one to do certain things?

and yeah, THAT'S where I saw that you needed the 1M, lol. xD

So what happens when you don't reach the requirements?
like, let's just say you don't get that C- in Math 1M, or don't get the B or whatever in psych?

Old 12-24-2009 at 11:28 PM   #5
Kevin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I see, Thankss!
So, like, is Honours considered "better" because it's 4 years? :S
like does it really matter which you do? :S
or do you need a certain one to do certain things?

and yeah, THAT'S where I saw that you needed the 1M, lol. xD

like, let's just say you don't get that C- in Math 1M, or don't get the B or whatever in psych?
If you do an honours degree, you can apply to graduate/professional school. If you don't plan on going to graduate/professional school, I'm sure employers would favour you more if you had an honours degree.

In regards to requirements, if you don't reach them, you won't get accepted into that program. You'll need to reapply next year having met the requirements.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:31 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:

If you don't meet the requirements for acceptance into your chosen major you don't get accepted into your chosen major.

That said you can shadow your chosen major in second year and then apply to it again after second year. Shadowing basically means you take the courses you would taken if you got accepted into the major, and you probably also need to re-take the courses you didn't do well enough in first year to meet the requirements for acceptance into your chosen major. A lot of other people on here know more about shadowing if you're curious.

xo.monica says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:34 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
In regards to requirements, if you don't reach them, you won't get accepted into that program. You'll need to reapply next year having met the requirements.
So say you don't get accepted, and you have to wait for the next year,
what do you do in the meantime?
re-take the courses to get a better average and apply again?

Also, I've heard a lot about "shadowing". What does that mean?

LOL, sorry for asking so many questions. O_O

Ooh, haha, Stefanie already answered my shadowing question, lol.

Old 12-24-2009 at 11:36 PM   #8
Kevin S

Quote:
So say you don't get accepted, and you have to wait for the next year,
what do you do in the meantime?
re-take the courses to get a better average and apply again?

Also, I've heard a lot about "shadowing". What does that mean?

LOL, sorry for asking so many questions. O_O
You're going have to retake the required courses if you don't meet their requirements.

Shadowing - read Stefanie's post, she explained it quite well.

Old 12-24-2009 at 11:39 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Shadowing basically means you take the courses you would taken if you got accepted into the major, and you probably also need to re-take the courses you didn't do well enough in first year to meet the requirements for acceptance into your chosen major. A lot of other people on here know more about shadowing if you're curious.
Oh, I see.
So if one were to shadow their major and re-take the courses they didn't do well enough in to be accepted, they'd be a year behind? kinda?

Or would they be like "okay, you've taken the courses you've done poorly in first year AGAIN and obtained an acceptable average, and did the courses you needed to do as if you WERE majoring in this area, and also obtained an acceptable average. Congrats, now you're majoring in bla bla bla?"

Because they've taken the courses they needed to take in 2nd year and did well (let's just say), and then made up for the shitty first year ones?

Sorry if that didn't make sense haha

Last edited by xo.monica : 12-24-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:39 PM   #10
Kevin S

Quote:
Oh, I see.
So if one were to shadow their major and re-take the courses they didn't do well enough in to be accepted, they'd be a year behind? kinda?
A bit, but you can always make up for it by going to summer school (which is NOT a bad thing).

xo.monica says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:53 PM   #11
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

My friend got into psych program with a ~6 average. If you want to get in, you can too!

xo.monica says thanks to macsci for this post.

Kevin S, xo.monica like this.