strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM

Question about where the TAs will picket if there's a strike

Old 10-25-2009 at 09:33 AM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Question about where the TAs will picket if there's a strike
Obviously the TAs can't block off the Main & Emerson entrance because the ambulances need to get through. I heard that they were going to still stop cars at that entrance, but move back to the part of the road that is just the entrance to the university. I've also heard that they might just block the parking lot infront of ABB.

Is any of this true? I think, regardless of where they picket near that entrance on campus, cars will still line up at the busy hours and ambulances might have trouble getting through.

Please tell me they're only picketing the Sterling entrance?
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:28 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Tell me something Kathy, is all of this happening for sure or are we still waiting for the 31st to find out? Because it feels like we're being kept in the dark (with the exception of some people picketing the other day). McMaster hasn't officially said anything either, as far as I know.
Old 10-25-2009 at 10:46 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

I think we still don't know anything, and I doubt we will until Monday November 2.
I'm just asking where they will go IF they strike.
Old 10-25-2009 at 11:09 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Tell me something Kathy, is all of this happening for sure or are we still waiting for the 31st to find out? Because it feels like we're being kept in the dark (with the exception of some people picketing the other day). McMaster hasn't officially said anything either, as far as I know.
Nothing's set in stone yet...hopefully people use their better judgement and don't strike.

As for where they picket, I'm in the dark as well. Back in 2006 when there was a strike, I did picket duty at the Sterling entrance.
Old 10-25-2009 at 02:26 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Yeah, the only thing anyone can say for sure is that we don't know if there will be a strike. Nothing is guaranteed.

I also haven't heard anything about locations of pickets.
Old 10-25-2009 at 02:43 PM   #6
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

They have decided on a different approach. To give the strike a more personal approach, they will randomly choose students and picket their living spaces. If you draw the short straw, plan on crossing a picket line to brush, grab a leak, order some 'zza, grab a beer or visit your gimp in the basement.

Equinox, Flag like this.
Old 10-25-2009 at 03:37 PM   #7
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Anyone down to picket the picket line? Honestly if there is a strike at Mac... I'm going to go ballistic. Screw this unionized commi BS... York for example had some of the most unrealistic demands I've ever heard! It'll turn our school into the province's laughing stock!

Old 10-28-2009 at 10:33 AM   #8
collymolotov

Liked: 15 Times

Can't wait to see where they picket, makes it easier to pick a fight with this particular extortion racket that would defraud me of my money, hinder my academics, and see my tuition raised to compensate for their greedy, overpaid asses.

I encourage anyone who's pissed off about the strike to get in the faces of picketers and subject them to all the abuse and villainy you can muster (short of physical attacks.) These are not, by and large, people who are accustomed to being pushed around, and as strikers they cannot attack you. If they deem to thieve you out of your education on any grounds, they are the enemy. If we as a student body can show vocal, extreme and militant displeasure at the blatent gangsterism of CUPE, we can help diminish its influence and put an end to the mythical concept that this "is better for the students in the long run."

Old 10-28-2009 at 10:39 AM   #9
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

My prof said they always picket on the Sterling entrance. She said in the past she has waited up to an hour to get through with a car.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:03 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I still need someone to explain to me why unions/picketers think that annoying students to death and wasting their time and money will make them side with their cause.

My little brain can't wrap itself around this concept.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal, collymolotov, Quester like this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:05 AM   #11
collymolotov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I still need someone to explain to me why unions/picketers think that annoying students to death and wasting their time and money will make them side with their cause.

My little brain can't wrap itself around this concept.
Because they know the students can't really do anything about it one way or the other, and because they're the only game in town. Besides, the union bigwigs don't have to get out into the trenches, only their pawns (the TAs and students) have to put up with any ramifications.
Old 10-28-2009 at 12:02 PM   #12
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Couple of things:

We still have 2 days of bargaining left, hopefully there won't be any pickets because we end up with a deal.

You can expect the major entrances for vehicles to be picketed. The whole purpose of pickets is to disrupt the Administration's ability to operate smoothly. The hospital, for obvious reasons, won't be picketed.

If you do have to drive to school, parking off campus somewhere and then taking the HSR to campus is always an option. We know its an inconvenience, but its pretty difficult to disrupt the administration without disrupting students. The sterling entrance will also be crazy because its only one lane and backs up as is. Just avoid it if at all possible.

There are no union bigwigs making decisions, all the decisions about potentially going on strike are made by the local bargaining team who are elected from the membership (i.e. they're either TAs, RAs or sessionals). If we do end up on strike, the bargaining team will certainly be down in the trenches ensuring the picket lines are running and problems are being addressed.

All the members on the picket lines will be students. We all were undergrads at one point and understand the frustration of disruptions to classes. But we also can't just go away and accept a deal that results in our benefits being cut, our paycheques being cut, classes sizes being increased and even more overwork than before. We'll do everything we can to find a deal at the table and avert a strike, but if we do end up on strike it will be because we haven't been able to get satisfactory resolution on the key issues.

Starting this afternoon I'm basically in continuous meetings until we have a deal so unfortunately I won't be able to reply to any further questions. But I will be posting on our blog, so please stay informed by watching our blog http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com as well as the dailynews http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca

Derek
Old 10-28-2009 at 12:08 PM   #13
collymolotov

Being a TA is not a profession, its a part-time job. As such you have no obligation to follow the union line if you don't agree with it. You have free will as a human being, use it to make your own decision concerning if you take up with the picketers or not. I will personally consider anyone who hinders my approach to school for any reason a hostile element, because they chose to be there.

You make more money than any other part-time job I've ever heard of. Don't try and mask making what you do a hardship, when its the best gig in town. Your attempts to cover up your actual intentions are insulting to anyone with a logical frame of mind.

Remember Nuremburg. Its no defense to say that you were "just following orders."

Old 10-28-2009 at 12:47 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Did anyone else see a bunch of TAs/union members between BSB and MUSC today? They were on a loud speaker, saying that the prices of tution have gone up and McMaster is taking all of their money and it's not fair.

They are such hypocrites. A TA strike will take more time and money away from students than anything McMaster could ever do.

One of the things I thought was so stupid - the guy on the loud speaker said "Tuition at McMaster has increased [x]% over the last 3 years. Where is that money going?"
I wanted to scream "INTO YOUR INSANELY OVERPAID BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE YOU KEEP THREATENING TO STRIKE".

Old 10-28-2009 at 12:48 PM   #15
Buttle

Liked: 58 Times

If the TA's do picket, I hope it rains hard haha.