MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best pick up lines killza Dating & Relationships 56 10-09-2010 12:15 AM
Question about where the TAs will picket if there's a strike Kathy2 General Discussion 162 11-03-2009 05:09 PM
Resume Question hamnahx02 General Discussion 7 08-23-2009 03:05 PM
Resume Padding temara.brown General Discussion 9 08-02-2009 01:03 PM
Resume Writing Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-23-2007 10:32 PM

The picket lines resume

Old 11-02-2009 at 11:55 AM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The picket lines resume
http://thespec.ca/News/Local/article/664928

Something important to note:
"McMaster has now activated a hotline number for those who have questions about the strike. Students can call 905-525-9140 ext. 29999."
Old 11-02-2009 at 11:59 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I think it's important to note that BUSES ARE NOT GOING INTO CAMPUS.

It's already been posted, but it was sort of ambiguous. I saw a lot of people waiting for the bus on campus, ignoring the signs on the bus posts. You have to walk to Main & Emerson if you want to take the 51/5C westbound.

Although, I'm not sure where you go for the eastbound 51/5A/1A. I assume further down on Sterling street past Forsyth for the 51/5A.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:08 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Is it just me or is the photo on the Spec website showing a total of 12 picketers at that entrance?

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:09 PM   #4
hope13

Liked: 2 Times

Not necessarily supporting CUPE, but:

If they believe that what they are arguing for is what their members want and is a worthy cause and they went back to talks and the university's offer hasn't changed since Friday morning, then they should put the barricades back up because otherwise they're doing something the university wants for nothing in return.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:13 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

The Spec says there are 2,700 people on strike, which is not true. Maybe there are 2,700 in the union, but there are some TAs still working and some TAs not picketing.

There aren't that many picketers at ALL..
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:20 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
The Spec says there are 2,700 people on strike, which is not true. Maybe there are 2,700 in the union, but there are some TAs still working and some TAs not picketing.

There aren't that many picketers at ALL..
I think the Spec is just taking that number from the number of TAs/RAs in the Union. Technically the entire union is supposed to strike and presumably at this point we don't know who is scabbing and who is actually striking.

Judging by that picture though (I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see it in person) nowhere near the full number of union members is striking. I mean even with 2 entrances to cover and 3 shifts there should be way more than 12 people picketing one entrance. 12 x 3 x 2 is only 72 people, even if you add on a few more to that number since more people might picket at different times that's still a very small percentage of the union membership who obviously agree with this strike.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:22 PM   #7
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Worst thing about this is the environmental impact of their actions. The buses have to go out of their way in circles just so they don't run a few people over. Yet, more than the 72 people mentioned above are waiting for buses at any given time.

Thanks for nothing CUPE.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:30 PM   #8
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Is it just me or is the photo on the Spec website showing a total of 12 picketers at that entrance?

I see 13!
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:37 PM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

This was the Sterling Street picket line this morning (click for larger)

Last edited by DannyV : 11-02-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added thumbnail
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:39 PM   #10
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Worst thing about this is the environmental impact of their actions. The buses have to go out of their way in circles just so they don't run a few people over. Yet, more than the 72 people mentioned above are waiting for buses at any given time.

Thanks for nothing CUPE.
The environmental impact?

The strike has caused more people to walk, take the bus or find other means to campus in order to avoid the pickets. Those who do choose to drive (unfortunately, I am one of those who has to drive) can turn their engines off while they wait for the picketers to let them through.

As for the buses detouring, I do not know the new changed routes. That being said, I highly doubt the environmental impact due to their detours offsets the fact that less people are driving.

This entire thread is one giant troll if you ask me... which begs the question, why am I responding against my better judgement? I don't know....

Sorry, save for the initial post (it is actually informative)

Last edited by talues : 11-02-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:41 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post
The environmental impact?

The strike has caused more people to walk, take the bus or find other means to campus in order to avoid the pickets. Those who do choose to drive (unfortunately, I am one of those who has to drive) can turn their engines off while they wait for the picketers to let them through.

As for the buses detouring, I do not know the new changed routes. That being said, I highly doubt the environmental impact due to their detours offsets the fact that less people are driving.

This entire thread is one giant troll if you ask me... which begs the question, why am I responding against me better judgement? I don't know....
Jsut because you don't agree with the things being said, that doesn't mean people are trolling.

Goce is right that there is a negative environmental impact because of the strike. Busses are taking longer routes to go around the school and tons of cars are idling for hours while they try to get through the picketers. People can choose to turn off their engines but they don't, because they have to start them again like 20 seconds later to inch forward.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:41 PM   #12
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
I see 13!
Ah yes, you're right. 13 picketers.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:45 PM   #13
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

This was Cootes this morning (click for larger):
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:01 PM   #14
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

How is this going to effect the GO buses coming in/out of Mac?

I take the GO bus, and I have to connect to a train as well, so i'm extra pressed for time. Being late by 5-10 minutes means i'd have to wait up to 2 hours for my connection at certain times.
Old 11-02-2009 at 01:04 PM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
How is this going to effect the GO buses coming in/out of Mac?

I take the GO bus, and I have to connect to a train as well, so i'm extra pressed for time. Being late by 5-10 minutes means i'd have to wait up to 2 hours for my connection at certain times.
GO buses are not going into or coming out of Mac. They have set up alternate pick up and drop off spots for GO buses (they're on Main Street) so you'll have to go out there to catch your GO bus.

This sucks because often times there are multiple GO buses picking up students at McMaster simultaneously. Since we have a terminal on campus this isn't a problem. Not using the terminal means lines of GO buses (up to maybe 3 GO buses) at once lined up on Main Street to pick students up. Or it means certain GO buses will have to be late because only one is able to load students at a time since only one stop each has been designated for pick up and one for drop off. I have Mondays off so I haven't found out how this is working yet but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I can already predict what a major hassle its going to be.

As far as I'm concerned picketers should stick to the Sterling entrance and they should not be allowed to block the Cootes one where GO buses and cars come in with students needing to get to classes and to home depending on the time of day. Stopping our cars and buses and making us late and just generally annoyed isn't going to make us want to side with you, diverting our buses off-campus and causing more hassle when we have a perfectly good bus terminal on campus is unfair. Pickets should just flyer foot traffic, if students don't want to stop on foot they don't have to, if they do have time or want to listen they will. Making people who don't want to or don't have time to listen stop for you isn't the way to get anyone on your side.

Last edited by sew12 : 11-02-2009 at 01:07 PM.