MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limit to Lower Level Courses in Upper Years MichaelScarn Academics 11 06-13-2011 11:37 PM
Question for all upper year Faculty of Science students... Purple2309 Academics 1 05-31-2011 03:37 PM
Question for Upper Year Health Science Students robots Academics 1 01-05-2011 10:14 AM
Upper Level Bio...help :( jdia Academics 4 09-15-2009 02:32 PM
can i take upper level courses? coco Academics 5 11-12-2008 04:02 PM

Question for upper level Honours Biochem students?

Old 10-31-2012 at 12:09 AM   #1
monti13

Liked: 0 Times

Question for upper level Honours Biochem students?
Hey Im a first year and after looking at the courses in upper level bio chem years im really considering it, however i just have two questions.

1) Can you tell me about the program? By this I mean now that you've been through the ropes, what did you think? Are there things that could be better about it? Things that you wish you knew going in? Perhaps reason why its an awesome program. Pretty much anything you have to say I'll iisten and consider.

2) I didn't take grade 12 physics, so Im taking 1l03 next semester. It says that physics 1b03 is highly recommended for biochem but its not a prerequisite. Do you think I am really going to need that course? Will i struggle a lot without it?
Old 10-31-2012 at 08:12 AM   #2
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

1. Suuuuper fun. I'm still in second so I don't think I've experienced all the pros of it yet, but in general I'd say I'm really happy being in the Biochem program.

Workwise, it's more intense than first year, but hey, what program isn't more intense in second year? There are a lot of courses that I wish they never made us take (chem bio), but aside from that, I really like the concepts they teach us in the Biochem courses, Microbio bio courses and especially the inquiry lab course Labs on the schedule may tell you it's 4 hours long, but so far, I've only spent 2 hours in that lab max. Felicia (the supervisor for that course) is extremely nice and the experiments she designed for us really introduced me to being in a biochemical setting.

2. Yeahhh, Physics 1B03 is a toughie. You won't have to take it in first year, but by the end of second year, you'll have to have taken this course. Most programs (Bio I think) also make you take it. There's no hope escaping this course. Good luck! The course itself was okay; if you understand the concepts in and out and think logically, you'll be able to do well. Chem bio in second year on the other hand.... was a bunch of useless equations.