MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student questions jntyrhds Academics 4 08-09-2011 04:13 PM
Questions from a Health Sci transfer MichaelScarn Academics 173 06-16-2011 01:23 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a health sci transfer - 2012 edition!

Old 05-23-2012 at 07:44 PM   #16
Bulfon

Liked: 1 Time

I also got accepted but I dont know if Ill accept it or not tbh.

One thing to keep in mind about child health is that, since its a brand new program, odds are they will be a little more lenient with marks since there asking the students to help shape the program with them. On the flip side, as far as I know, Margaret who was a facilitator for an inquiry class last year is spearheading the program, and while she is nice, she is also a relatively tough marker.

Either way, good luck if you decide to accept! Bet it feels damn good after the rejection last year and subsequent hell that was first year life sci : p

ChikaStacy likes this.
Old 05-23-2012
Silver
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-23-2012 at 07:49 PM   #17
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Wow... Tons of support here, lots of advice, thanks!

And Bulfon, what are you thinking instead?
RememberTwce
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-23-2012 at 08:07 PM   #18
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymaybee View Post
i havent found anything online about the child health specialization.. does anyone have any more information on this?
Are you a transfer too?
Old 05-23-2012 at 08:21 PM   #19
abbymaybee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

yes i am !

Old 05-23-2012 at 08:22 PM   #20
Bulfon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Wow... Tons of support here, lots of advice, thanks!

And Bulfon, what are you thinking instead?
Tbh, Im considering Biochemistry because it gives me many more options later on, though it is a tougher program (i.e. lower marks and free time) so Im kinda stuck.

If I do choose health sci though I guess well be suffering through inquiry together come September :p

Btw, PM me if you wanna talk or have questions. I was in life sci and all but three of my friends were in health sci (including my girlfriend) so I can give you a pretty unbiased view of health sci that you may not get from someone already in the program : )
Old 05-23-2012 at 08:43 PM   #21
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I see, what about doing biomed?
and I PMed
Old 05-23-2012 at 09:27 PM   #22
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulfon View Post
Tbh, Im considering Biochemistry because it gives me many more options later on, though it is a tougher program (i.e. lower marks and free time) so Im kinda stuck.

If I do choose health sci though I guess well be suffering through inquiry together come September :p

Btw, PM me if you wanna talk or have questions. I was in life sci and all but three of my friends were in health sci (including my girlfriend) so I can give you a pretty unbiased view of health sci that you may not get from someone already in the program : )
Not sure how your opinion is unbiased, if anything it's just a different bias but anyways..

First year health sci is very different from second year, especially the schedule that second-year transfers will have. Just something to keep in mind.

dumbconsumer, terrafirma like this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 09:30 PM   #23
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Tbh, [Biochemistry] though it is a tougher program (i.e. lower marks and free time) so Im kinda stuck.

This is not true. Biochem is a manageable program and it is definitely possible to do really well.
Old 05-23-2012 at 09:34 PM   #24
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

Biochem has a lot of inquiry to it as well I don't think they have an inquiry-specific course, but most of the core biochem courses involve inquiry. I have no idea how it compares to health sci inquiry since I've never done that, but I wouldn't pick based on how much you want to suffer through inquiry
Old 05-23-2012 at 11:10 PM   #25
Bulfon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Not sure how your opinion is unbiased, if anything it's just a different bias but anyways..

First year health sci is very different from second year, especially the schedule that second-year transfers will have. Just something to keep in mind.
Well unbiased in that I im neither a hater nor directly involved with the program, where as most people in the debate are either a member or hate health sci :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
I see, what about doing biomed?
and I PMed
I looked at the course outline breifly and from what I saw, it really is kinda pathetic compared to regular biochem. But ill get back to you on that once I take a better look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
This is not true. Biochem is a manageable program and it is definitely possible to do really well.
Every program is manageable, but some are tougher than others and some require more work than others. For instance, Biochem has Orgo as a core course which is arguably one of the hardest courses ( or so Ive heard)
Old 05-23-2012 at 11:35 PM   #26
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Every program is manageable, but some are tougher than others and some require more work than others. For instance, Biochem has Orgo as a core course which is arguably one of the hardest courses ( or so Ive heard)
Orgo might be one of the hardest courses in some programs, but definitely not all of them...
It wasn't super easy or anything, but not even close to one of the hardest courses in my program...I'd suspect it's not one of the hardest in biochem either, though I haven't taken any of the biochem courses that would really be considered hard, so this is more based on me talking to people than personal experience

yoni likes this.
Old 05-23-2012 at 11:40 PM   #27
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
I looked at the course outline breifly and from what I saw, it really is kinda pathetic compared to regular biochem. But ill get back to you on that once I take a better look at it!
Kinda harsh to call another program pathetic, no?
Old 05-23-2012 at 11:43 PM   #28
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Kinda harsh to call another program pathetic, no?
Not in that context...you could also say that core biochem is kind of pathetic compared to one of the specializations. You can argue about the appropriateness of the word "pathetic" and whether or not another word might fit better, but it is what it is.

mike4 likes this.