MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student questions jntyrhds Academics 4 08-09-2011 04:13 PM
Questions from a Health Sci transfer MichaelScarn Academics 173 06-16-2011 01:23 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a health sci transfer - 2012 edition!

Old 05-24-2012 at 03:28 PM   #46
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Yeah mine was a 10.9. I think that as long as you're above the cutoff its all the same
Old 05-24-2012 at 06:21 PM   #47
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Health Sci is a challenge. People expect more from you just because you're in health sci. Health scis have a tendency to get good grades because they work (insert metaphor of your choice here).
Not to put anyone off - I for one love challenge and can't get enough of it...
Old 05-24-2012 at 07:34 PM   #48
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Just curious for all the people who will be making the transition from Life Sciences to Health Sciences, what was your CA if you don't mind sharing? So people for future years have some sort of idea if they intend on doing the same. Thanks,

Humza
Doesn't matter. I heard as long as you meet the 10.0 cutoff, it's all about your supplemental application.
Old 05-25-2012 at 02:09 PM   #49
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Ah I got accepted into health sci transfer as well =D, only I'm hesitant in thinking if I'll be accepting or not. Debating between Health Sciences and Bio(Physiology)
Did you have a specific question about Bio Physio?
Old 05-26-2012 at 04:33 PM   #50
ac91

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hey there everyone. Congrats on your acceptances! I'm in fourth year and transferred after my first year in Life Sci and have had a really great experience. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to contact me. I'm also in the Global Health Specialization and will be peer tutoring next year, so I can answer any questions you might have about that.

Like others have mentioned, the requirements on the website are all that matter for admission. Perhaps it would be best to avoid posting CAs on MacInsiders, as it's not important to the conversation and can easily be taken in the wrong context.

RememberTwce, terrafirma like this.
Old 05-26-2012 at 09:29 PM   #51
winter02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Did you have a specific question about Bio Physio?
Not particularly with Bio physio, more of the health sci program itself. I applied thinking I wouldn't get accepted but now I did and I'm conflicted between health sci or Physio as my 2nd year choice. Most of my hesitance comes from the two learning styles that both programs employ. One is lecture based (physio), while the other one is PBL or group learning (health sci) [not sure if I would like group learning over lecture style]. Also, I mainly applied to health sci because I had planned to take health sci electives in 3rd and 4th year (mainly immuno, virology, neuro immuno, etc and it just so happens that they were open to everyone and were not health sci restricted), and because of the thesis opportunities (wanted to do a thesis in immunology - not even sure if health scis are even allowed to do those topics). I looked at the honours core program and it's mandatory pre req courses and in my opinion, I have absolutely no interest in learning about global health (would like to focus more on science based learning). So I'm not sure if accepting would be wise based on the above reasoning. I kinda feel bad if I reject since I'm one of the people that actually got accepted =S

Thanks for reading all of that if you did =)
Old 05-26-2012 at 09:50 PM   #52
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Hey! Just some stuff to consider when making your decision.

Quote:
Not particularly with Bio physio, more of the health sci program itself. I applied thinking I wouldn't get accepted but now I did and I'm conflicted between health sci or Physio as my 2nd year choice. Most of my hesitance comes from the two learning styles that both programs employ. One is lecture based (physio), while the other one is PBL or group learning (health sci) [not sure if I would like group learning over lecture style].
One thing to keep in mind is that of the courses you'll take in second year, only a few are entirely PBL. Of the 24 required units, HTH SCI 2D06 (Transfer Inquiry) and HTH SCI 2K03 (Cell Biology) are all group-work. HTH SCI 2F03, 2FF3, and 2G03 (Anatomy I, Anatomy II, and Epidemiology) are lecture-style. HTH SCI 2A03 is technically PBL but unless they revamp the course, you'll learn most of the material by yourself anyways. Then there's HTH SCI 2J03, which is pass/fail and features both lectures and some group-work. The other 6 units are your electives.

My point is that you won't be leaving lectures behind. Instead, you'll learn select topics through presentations and group-work and for the most part it's a great way to learn.

Quote:
Also, I mainly applied to health sci because I had planned to take health sci electives in 3rd and 4th year (mainly immuno, virology, neuro immuno, etc and it just so happens that they were open to everyone and were not health sci restricted), and because of the thesis opportunities (wanted to do a thesis in immunology - not even sure if health scis are even allowed to do those topics).
As far as I know Immunology is under the Faculty of Health Sciences so doing a thesis in Immunology wouldn't be a problem, so long as you're able to locate a supervisor.

Quote:
I looked at the honours core program and it's mandatory pre req courses and in my opinion, I have absolutely no interest in learning about global health (would like to focus more on science based learning). So I'm not sure if accepting would be wise based on the above reasoning. I kinda feel bad if I reject since I'm one of the people that actually got accepted =S
Are you referring to the Core BHSc program? If so, I'm not sure which course you're referring to because only those in the specialization learn about Global Health (unless you choose to pursue Global Health in your third-year inquiry course or through some other elective).

Last edited by RememberTwce : 05-27-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:08 PM   #53
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
I looked at the honours core program and it's mandatory pre req courses and in my opinion, I have absolutely no interest in learning about global health (would like to focus more on science based learning). So I'm not sure if accepting would be wise based on the above reasoning. I kinda feel bad if I reject since I'm one of the people that actually got accepted =S

Thanks for reading all of that if you did =)
Just to be sure, here's a link showing the mandatory courses for second year
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/bhsc_courses_year_2.h tml
Transfers don't take 2E03, they take 2D06 instead (to make up for the Inquiry course that first year health scis took)
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:10 PM   #54
winter02

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Hey! Just some stuff to keep in mind when making your decision.

One thing to keep in mind is that of the courses you'll take in second year, only a few are entirely PBL. Of the 24 required units, HTH SCI 2D06 (Transfer Inquiry) and HTH SCI 2K03 (Cell Biology) are all group-work. HTH SCI 2F03, 2FF3, and 2G03 (Anatomy I, Anatomy II, and Epidemiology) are lecture-style. HTH SCI 2A03 is technically PBL but unless they revamp the course, you'll learn most of the material by yourself anyways. Then there's HTH SCI 2J03, which is pass/fail and features both lectures and some group-work. The other 6 units are your electives.

My point is that you won't be leaving lectures behind. Instead, you'll learn select topics through presentations and group-work and for the most part it's a great way to learn.

As far as I know Immunology is under the Faculty of Health Sciences so doing a thesis in Immunology wouldn't be a problem, so long as you're able to locate a supervisor.

Are you referring to the Core BHSc program? If so, I'm not sure which course you're referring to because only those in the specialization learn about Global Health (unless you choose to pursue Global Health in your third-year inquiry course or through some other elective).
I was referring to the 3rd year mandatory courses and one 2nd year course. Such as HTH SCI 2J03, HTH SCI 3E03,3G03,3GG3, and 3H03. Not sure if I would like those as much =S I also want a bit more freedom with my electives such as Psych 2NF3 or bio 2A03 so I'm not entirely sure if I'm fit for health sciences.
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:13 PM   #55
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
I was referring to the 3rd year mandatory courses and one 2nd year course. Such as HTH SCI 2J03, HTH SCI 3E03,3G03,3GG3, and 3H03. Not sure if I would like those as much =S I also want a bit more freedom with my electives such as Psych 2NF3 or bio 2A03 so I'm not entirely sure if I'm fit for health sciences.
2J03 is hardly a course. Nothing to worry about. In terms of elective space freedom, I would argue that being in health science helps a lot with that. We get 18 units of electives in 3rd and 4th year (21 in 4th if you choose to do the senior project instead of the thesis)
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:22 PM   #56
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Just a little more information on the courses you mentioned:

HTH SCI 2J03 is an interesting experience in itself. It's hard to describe but essentially it takes you through the basis of stress from different perspectives. HTH SCI 3E03 has various topics, one of them being the Global Health option. I'm actually planning to do mine in the Space Medicine section, so you can see the amount of variety available. HTH SCI 3G03/3GG3 are generally considered boring, but also pivotal in developing strong research skills. HTH SCI 3H03 is probably the most flexible course ever. You essentially find a supervisor and design a course around learning something you're interested in. It's done in preparation for your senior project/thesis.

The 12 units mentioned above (minus 2J03) are the only mandatory courses in 3rd year. The other 18 units are electives, and you'll have another 18 units of electives in 4th year. What I'm trying to say is that you'll have a ton of room for courses outside the program that you're interested in. Many BHSc students pursue minors in Biochem, Psych, Chem, etc.
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:40 PM   #57
winter02

Ok guys thanks for the advice =D, just I'm still trying to weigh out the pros and cons of whether or not I will be accepting health sciences. Not sure If i would fit into group learning or 5-8 hour group meetings vs. lecture style learning =S
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:44 PM   #58
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Ok guys thanks for the advice =D, just I'm still trying to weigh out the pros and cons of whether or not I will be accepting health sciences. Not sure If i would fit into group learning or 5-8 hour group meetings vs. lecture style learning =S
Fair enough. I really did not like lecture style learning and I found a learned A LOT more this year than I did last year. And I actually liked the long group meetings, as long as they were efficient. Sukhpreet and I and another transfer had an 8 hour meeting to finish an essay and it was an awesome experience. But that's just me

RememberTwce says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:46 PM   #59
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

It really depends on the person. I find I don't retain information long-term from group projects. I hate doing them and I only learn the information really well for a short period of time. So much energy goes to things other than learning the material that I find it unnecessary and a waste of time. But that's just me, other people probably strongly disagree.

RememberTwce says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 05-26-2012 at 10:57 PM   #60
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Bernard and Lauren are both correct in the fact that it really depends on your personal preferences. Personally I didn't enjoy group work in first year Life Sci. In fact I completely hated the PBL portion of BIO 1M03 and the essay for PSYCH 1XX3 was an absolutely brutal experience for me.

The point is that group-work can vary greatly in quality, just like lectures. I was hesitant about transferring for the same reasons as you, but the meetings and experiences I had this past year were radically different from when I was in first year. The PBL in HTH SCI 2D06/2K03 makes up the entire course, instead of being a small portion of it (like it is in 1M03/1XX3). This invokes a completely different experience, as you actually get to know your group-members and research/work/present based on the strengths and weaknesses that you identify in each other, in the group, and in yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
Fair enough. I really did not like lecture style learning and I found a learned A LOT more this year than I did last year. And I actually liked the long group meetings, as long as they were efficient. Sukhpreet and I and another transfer had an 8 hour meeting to finish an essay and it was an awesome experience. But that's just me
Too epic for words.

Zebedee likes this.