MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student questions jntyrhds Academics 4 08-09-2011 04:13 PM
Questions from a Health Sci transfer MichaelScarn Academics 173 06-16-2011 01:23 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a health sci transfer - 2012 edition!

Old 05-24-2012 at 12:34 AM   #31
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Ah I got accepted into health sci transfer as well =D, only I'm hesitant in thinking if I'll be accepting or not. Debating between Health Sciences and Bio(Physiology)

Old 05-24-2012 at 12:49 AM   #32
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Ah I got accepted into health sci transfer as well =D, only I'm hesitant in thinking if I'll be accepting or not. Debating between Health Sciences and Bio(Physiology)
Pretty sure Bernard (MichaelScarn) was considering Bio Physiology as well. I'm sure he'd be able to answer any questions you may have.
Old 05-24-2012 at 01:49 AM   #33
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Hello potential transfers!! First of all, CONGRATS on getting your offers -- there's only a handful of you, and you're all specially hand-picked. Isn't that cute? It is. Like the other past transfers in this thread, feel free to ask if you have any questions. I hope you guys choose to join the BHSc fam, and I cannot friggin wait to meet all of you.

Old 05-24-2012 at 07:01 AM   #34
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Hello potential transfers!! First of all, CONGRATS on getting your offers -- there's only a handful of you, and you're all specially hand-picked. Isn't that cute? It is. Like the other past transfers in this thread, feel free to ask if you have any questions. I hope you guys choose to join the BHSc fam, and I cannot friggin wait to meet all of you.
Thanks! I look forward to meeting you as well! Obviously I plan on joining the BHSc family

To the other transfers, are you all Life-Sci's?
Old 05-24-2012 at 08:53 AM   #35
swarly

Yeah I'm a life sci. I'm still debating between doing biochem with biomed spec next year or transferring to health sci. But most likely, I'll be a health sci next year
Old 05-24-2012 at 09:01 AM   #36
ctyctycty

Liked: 15 Times

Hey guys, congratulations!!! Super exciting!
So I'm Cheryl and I transferred last year from Life Sci to the Global Health specialization in Health Sci. If anyone is considering the specialization, feel free to msg me with questions!

Old 05-24-2012 at 10:59 AM   #37
matthewsorgo

Hey guys,
I also got accepted to transfer into BHSc from Life Sci!!!!
I for one will be accepting it
Quick question though... was anyone else in disbelief when they saw it on their grade report

Old 05-24-2012 at 11:06 AM   #38
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Just curious for all the people who will be making the transition from Life Sciences to Health Sciences, what was your CA if you don't mind sharing? So people for future years have some sort of idea if they intend on doing the same. Thanks,

Humza
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:09 AM   #39
abbymaybee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

mine was 10.8, i originally thought that might have been too low but i think as long as you meet the 10.0 cutoff, you're fine!
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:24 AM   #40
matthewsorgo

Mine was 11.0. Although I only took 27 units, after cancelling math 1AA3, for a whole slew of medical/personal reasons, however I am taking a summer school course to make up for that.

I guess that is something important to note for any future transfers. If you enter a circumstance where you have a legitimate reason to cancel a course, I contacted the Program Manager, explained my situation to her and she stated that so long as a course appears on your transcript to make up for the cancelled units, you will get conditional offer of acceptance until the units have been completed and you still pass the 10.0 cutoff!

And like Abbymaybee said, the 10.0 is what really matters, after that its just the supp app. However, the 10.0 isn't a cakewalk either.
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:34 AM   #41
Philipp31
Elite Member

I had 10.8!
And Abby and I spent the whole morning trying to figure out the exact meaning of Accepted on the grade report
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:35 AM   #42
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Well depending on your study habits and your work ethic obtaining at least a 10.0 CA shouldn't be too bad either. My law teacher in high school summed up what you should do to succeed in school in 6 words and 3 steps.

1. Do the work
2. Ask questions
3. Study
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:46 AM   #43
Philipp31
Elite Member

I found that the key wasn't just studying, but studying smart. There's no need to make notes on what you already know, no need to waste time doing fancy underlining, etc
Old 05-24-2012 at 11:56 AM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
I found that the key wasn't just studying, but studying smart. There's no need to make notes on what you already know, no need to waste time doing fancy underlining, etc
Everyone studies differently though. For some people underlining is very important and for others they don't even have to make notes. So when you say studying smart, I would say that studying smart is studying in the way that's most efficient for the individual studying.

Osama likes this.
Old 05-24-2012 at 12:04 PM   #45
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

I transferred into health science (from life sci) two years ago and I have never regretted it once. It has opened up more roads for me than limited my choices. I don't know why everyone thinks you have to become a doctor once you get in, that is simply not true and after second year you have a lot of options with regards to electives. For example, I even took literature courses and biomed graphics, and you can take biochem, orgo, virology, immuno etc. to your hearts liking. The community is better since it is a smaller program and the general mentality is more intense and academically focused imo compared to when I was in life sci. ALSO, to dispel rumours about health sci being "easier", you are gonna have a bad time if you go in thinking that because second year is going to be a challenge. However... it will be well worth it, you learn a lot more in inquiry than any lecture-style class can teach you.

If you are still not convinced, let me also mention the free food that appears in some classes...
Feel free to PM me with any questions as well!

Zebedee likes this.