MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student questions jntyrhds Academics 4 08-09-2011 04:13 PM
Questions from a Health Sci transfer MichaelScarn Academics 173 06-16-2011 01:23 PM
Health Sciences Transfer executive_03 Academics 3 12-18-2008 03:37 AM

Questions from a health sci transfer - 2012 edition!

Old 05-30-2012 at 02:49 PM   #106
Jenn.Duff

Liked: 0 Times

Congrats!
Congratulations everyone that has gotten in!

Second year was a big adjustment, but it was such an amazing change. You meet great friends and as a transfer have a group of people right off the bat that you become really close with. The group projects took work to get use to, but you learn a lot about your self in them. It was a great year

Also, someone before said that there were only 20 transfers in there post, in our year there was 25 so you never know!
Old 06-05-2012 at 01:28 PM   #107
abbymaybee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I'm currently taking Chem 2OA3 (summer session), do upper years suggest taking Chem 2OB3?? And should I take it right after Chem 2OA3?
Old 06-05-2012 at 02:00 PM   #108
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Regular advice: It really depends on your skills, determination and work ethic in determining CA, take courses you're interested in, and you will succeed!

Personal advice: Don't take both Orgos, strictly from a workload perspective (and not difficulty), I don't think it is the best option. Once HTH SCI 2D06 picks up (semester 2), you'll also have to contend with 2K03 (kinda chill, but heavy workload) and 2FF3 (not so chill) in the same semester. Personally, with all the time I was giving these three courses, I barely had time for my remaining two courses, and orgo can't be neglected. It might be worthwhile just to take Orgo 1 if you'd like (it could help you in your other courses), but I also kinda think that one performs the best on both orgos when he/she takes them together. As for the CA, nearly every class in HTH SCI awards "effort", sometimes even more than "knowledge". It should be fairly easy to get a great GPA if you give it a 100% (easier said than done). My intention is not to scare, it's really not that bad, but I think you'll probably do the best if you prepare for the worst.
I'd like to make a change to Anmol's advice. 2K03 (cell biology) is indeed a lot of work, but it is not always chill. It depends on the professor you have and group as well. It can definitely take up a lot of your time.

For 2FF3, people got desensetized to going to the lab compared to 2F03 (maybe for a good reason). This, ideally, should have made people go to the lab more often last minute, but it didn't. Regardless of what you hear people tell you, I highly recommend that you go to the lab for 2FF3, even if it's last minute (in fact for me, last minute worked a lot better). Going to the lab can be really time-consuming, so don't forget this aspect of the course! If you didn't already know, you should go to the lab because there is a bell-ringer where you label plastic, semi-real, and real specimens which is worth a fair bit of your grade. Going to the lab frequently helps you get specimens into the right orientation, so that, for example, you can tell left from right or up from down (no, im not joking).
Old 06-05-2012 at 02:08 PM   #109
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbconsumer View Post
Regular advice: It really depends on your skills, determination and work ethic in determining CA, take courses you're interested in, and you will succeed!

Personal advice: Don't take both Orgos, strictly from a workload perspective (and not difficulty), I don't think it is the best option. Once HTH SCI 2D06 picks up (semester 2), you'll also have to contend with 2K03 (kinda chill, but heavy workload) and 2FF3 (not so chill) in the same semester. Personally, with all the time I was giving these three courses, I barely had time for my remaining two courses, and orgo can't be neglected. It might be worthwhile just to take Orgo 1 if you'd like (it could help you in your other courses), but I also kinda think that one performs the best on both orgos when he/she takes them together. As for the CA, nearly every class in HTH SCI awards "effort", sometimes even more than "knowledge". It should be fairly easy to get a great GPA if you give it a 100% (easier said than done). My intention is not to scare, it's really not that bad, but I think you'll probably do the best if you prepare for the worst.
I gave a reply about both cell bio and the anatomy lab, but macinsiders didn't post it for some reason....let me try if I can summarize what I wanted to say here

I just want to mention something about 2k03. It's a lot of work for sure, but it's not necessarily chill. It depends on your prof and your group. Some groups had it chill more or less, others didn't. I would say my group in combination with my prof was definitely not chill. But, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I made good new friends in that group, and I met some of the smartest people in there. So I'm kind of glad it was like that for me.

For 2FF3, you need to go to the lab as well so don't neglect that time. Even if it's last minute, it will help (in fact, last minute was a lot better for me). Regardless of what you hear, I highly recommend you pay the lab a few visits during 2FF3. This will put you in the right orientation for labelling specimens during the bell-ringer so you can tell left from right or up from down (no, not a joke).

EDIT: Now it shows it for some reason -_________-
Old 06-05-2012 at 02:39 PM   #110
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbymaybee View Post
I'm currently taking Chem 2OA3 (summer session), do upper years suggest taking Chem 2OB3?? And should I take it right after Chem 2OA3?
I would say not to take it unless you need it for medschool/upper year course prereqs. If you do take it, then yea, after 2OA3 would be ideal.

abbymaybee says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-08-2012 at 07:26 PM   #111
ShikabaneMai
Account Disabled by User

Is anyone's application still pending? Course selection is rapidly approaching and my application is still under "Decision Pending".
Old 06-09-2012 at 01:38 PM   #112
jikim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulfon View Post
^^ Thanks! : )

They emailed me back and said the same thing, no Biomed for us transfers.... Now I feel bad for wasting one of the 20 transfer spots : s
Hi, I'll be going into life sci this fall and I'm planning on applying for health sci next year.
Assuming that I get in as a health sci transfer, my choices would be:
-life sci/ biomed science spec.
- or health sci/ apparently no biomed spec.

Would it be better to get into health sci anyway in 2nd year even if I don't get to specialize?
I know it sounds really vague, but my future goal is now vet school (recently changed my mind from med school), but I also want to come out of university with a degree that will give me an advantage in the job field if the med/vet school plan fails. Any advice?
Old 06-09-2012 at 02:05 PM   #113
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikabaneMai View Post
Is anyone's application still pending? Course selection is rapidly approaching and my application is still under "Decision Pending".
I emailed a BHSc facilitator regarding this and I will get back to you once he responds.

ShikabaneMai says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

ShikabaneMai likes this.
Old 06-09-2012 at 02:57 PM   #114
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikim View Post
Hi, I'll be going into life sci this fall and I'm planning on applying for health sci next year.

Would it be better to get into health sci anyway in 2nd year even if I don't get to specialize?
I know it sounds really vague, but my future goal is now vet school (recently changed my mind from med school), but I also want to come out of university with a degree that will give me an advantage in the job field if the med/vet school plan fails. Any advice?
There is no life sci with a biomedical science specialization. You'd have to go into biochem, which has a biomedical science specialization.

I don't think a health sci degree on its own will give you an advantage in the "job field" although it does depend what sort of job you're looking for. If it's anything in science, people with more science-focused degrees will have a solid advantage over you, and just a bachelor's degree (BSc or BHSc) won't get you very far regardless.

I do think health sci is good if you're planning on applying to any sort of professional school, however you can also do that from any program, no matter how specialized the program is (for example, someone who graduated from my program last year has just finished her first year of vet school--and chembio is a pretty specialized program).

jikim says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-09-2012 at 03:54 PM   #115
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Health sci is very good for professional school...it teaches you some very valuable life experiences, like cooperation, collaboration...keepi ng your temper (one I'm working on:.))...these skills can also be applied to life in general. Health sci is really "what you put in is what you get out", whereas a more structured degree - like life sci - is less flexible...but that may be what you are looking for...
Old 06-09-2012 at 05:06 PM   #116
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikim View Post

PM me if you have any vet school-related questions. I'm a health sci grad going into my 2nd year at OVC this fall.

I was in the regular health sci stream (aka didn't specialize) and I think it's actually better if your primary goal is to get into vet school because you have more elective space to fulfill prereqs. You won't have as many electives if you specialize. If you don't end up getting into professional school, a BSc and BHSc are about equally useless.

jikim says thanks to inthemaking for this post.
Old 06-12-2012 at 09:39 AM   #117
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

I was wondering, when do we get access to Learnlink and how do we get this access?
Old 06-12-2012 at 09:45 AM   #118
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Id assume we get LearnLink in the fall... not much use getting it now anyways
Old 06-12-2012 at 09:58 AM   #119
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarly View Post
I was wondering, when do we get access to Learnlink and how do we get this access?
Once you're registered as a BHSc student, you'll have access to LL. You can download LL now: http://www.learnlink.mcmaste r.ca/downloads.html

The first time you log in:

User ID: Firstname.Lastname
Password: student #

Afterwards you'll be asked to change the pw. I'd actually suggest getting on as soon as you're in the system just to familiarize yourself with LL (it can be confusing at first) and to add your courses to your desktop and whatnot.
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:35 AM   #120
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Thank you!