MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about university life Fahad64 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-28-2014 03:20 PM
Life Science Questions First Year naval23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2012 11:55 PM
Life Science I Math Questions macnoob First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-26-2012 09:55 PM
Life Sci questions IBB9780 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-25-2011 06:36 PM
3rd Year Life Sci Bsc Questions soft_kitty99 Academics 3 06-19-2010 12:05 PM

Questions about Mac Life Sci

Old 06-05-2014 at 08:21 PM   #1
Prospective97

Liked: 0 Times

Questions about Mac Life Sci
Hi eveyone

I'm a prospective grade 11 student from Ontario, who is thinking about applying to McMaster next fall. I've already been to the campus twice (it's one of the nicer ones I've visited), and it's one of the best Canadian schools. I'm a little apprehensive about the life science program itself though.

First of all, I'm a straight A student, did particularly well in the grade 11 science courses, and I took 3 grade 12 courses this semester, all of which I have above a 90 in.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong) The way I understand it is that they try to take 840 kids a year into life science, all of whom have high 80's and above in high school and then stream them out into different branches second year, with the best programs having tougher averages.

How hard is it to get into good programs 2nd year? You're competing with kids who are just as good as you, or better for a limited number of spots. I'm particularly interested in the biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics and origins research specializations.

Does anyone know how many people are accepted into each of those programs each year, and what the 1st year cutoff marks are?

I'm most likely to have a grade 12 average around 90, assuming I put in more effort in University, can I expect for my marks to only drop a few percent? Or will they drop a lot?

I've lurked through some old threads and read some course reviews. I saw that some people really struggle in 1st year life science, getting low averages, even failing some courses. Keeping in mind these people did quite well in High School, how hard is 1st year?

I appreciate that there are quite a few questions here, and look forward to an answer.

Thanks,

Hugh
Old 06-05-2014 at 08:33 PM   #2
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

First there is no such thing as the "best program", throw that attitude away. Second, it honestly depends on the person. I did well in high school and continued on doing well at Mac, and so did a lot of other students. Some students didn't do well. It really depends on the person. I can't say whether you will do well at Mac or not but, it is defiantly possible to do well.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 06-05-2014 at 09:30 PM   #3
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Year 1 is pretty much the indication of whether the student deserve/work for the 90+ he got in high school. High school marks are over inflated and there are ways to get 95+ without putting in any effort.
Old 06-06-2014 at 10:42 AM   #4
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Hey so I'm going into 3rd year Honours Life Sci -- but I'm actually switching into H. Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour. So I am the perfect example of how even if you DONT get into your second year program that you want, or you just didn't know what you wanted to do after 1st year (like me), you can STILL shadow your ideal program and switch into it for your third year.

The typical cutoff for getting INTO McMaster's Life Sci Program is between 87-90%..usually it is at the higher end of that (my year the cutoff was an 89). The first year is more general obviously...alot of people do struggle making that transition from HS to a University setting and because of the number of people in your classes, etc, you can expect your marks to drop 10-15%..THAT BEING SAID that doesn't ALWAYS happen (I know people who kept a 10+ average) and SECOND YEAR is wayyyyy easier in my opinion... my average skyrocketed. The minimum for all second year programs is a 6 average (VERY EASY TO OBTAIN). Yes, some programs have higher admission levels but most of them are still obtainable and are ENTIRELY DEPENDENT on the amount of people who apply to the program in that given year. For instance, PNB is a relatively small program and admission average is typically around a 7.1-7.5 (around a 75% average). With origins specializations there are even fewer positions available typically.. so you want to make sure to keep your average above a 9/10 I'd say and you should be good for most programs.

Personally I really like the set up of the program because it gives you a chance to explore your options in first year and then second year is easier because you get to take classes you are actually interested in and obviously if you like the course, you are going to do well in it. I think it is awesome that you are so interested in your future and I really do hope you choose Mac because it is amazing I also want to stress that yeah, everyone is comparable coming into University with excellent marks and are going to be competing for some of the same things.... but the thing that makes you stand out, that gives you the upper edge is NOT your marks.. it is involvement in the school itself. So no matter where you choose, GET INVOLVED because that is going to look so much better on a resume than just a few letters on a transcript... obviously marks DO matter, but if you are applying for a summer job working with a professor in a biochem lab for instance (or any internship/related experience job) ... and everyone applying has a 9+ average? They are most likely going to choose the student not with the highest marks but someone who has been able to both get decent grades AND at the same time be super involved in their school and the surrounding Hamilton community.