MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick question help Rakim General Discussion 4 03-31-2011 03:30 PM
Quick question about GPA nikki12 Academics 3 10-27-2010 07:26 PM
quick osap pickup inquiry dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-29-2010 02:57 PM
Quick question regarding osap. Rakim Financial Aid 3 08-21-2010 10:08 AM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

quick osap question!

Old 05-17-2011 at 11:11 AM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

quick osap question!
1) Is the osap money deducted from the amount you owe Mac before you have to pay?
2) When can we start paying?
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:39 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
1) Is the osap money deducted from the amount you owe Mac before you have to pay?
2) When can we start paying?
1. Only if you submit your OSAP and declaration papers before a certain deadline. Have no idea what the deadline is yet but it's probably in July.

2. You can start to repay OSAP at any point however your OSAP loan does not carry interest until the last day of your last year.

Joyceyblank says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:43 AM   #3
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

ty for number 1!
and just to confirm:
if OSAP is going to give me $10000 and my total fee is $16000,
and I submit my OSAP papers before deadline,
Mac would only ask me to pay $6000?

as for number 2, I meant when can we start paying Mac for our upcoming year?

lol, many questions~
getting paranoid

Last edited by Joyceyblank : 05-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:53 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
ty for number 1!
and just to confirm:
if OSAP is going to give me $10000 and my total fee is $16000,
and I submit my OSAP papers before deadline,
Mac would only ask me to pay $6000?

as for number 2, I meant when can we start paying Mac for our upcoming year?

lol, many questions~
getting paranoid
1. No, OSAP has two releases. They found it easier to alter entitlements that way (in the case the student picks up a job for instance or quits their job). It's split 60:40, so if you are receiving 10k, 6k will be the first entitlement and will be deducted from yours fees (You do have to select OSAP as a payment option in your payment agreement though). Then you pay McMaster the rest (which in your example would mean 10k) and then the 4k from the second entitlement (picked up in January) goes to you (unless you haven't paid McMaster in full, in which case you can have it go to the school).

Payment to McMaster can be in full, or monthly, or something else. You should pick the one that best meets your financial status. If you need help, contact the financial advisers at McMaster (sfas.mcmaster.ca).

2. You can pay McMaster after you pick your courses in June. However the first payment isn't due until Sept 1st. (It might be late August depending on your payment plan but all that will be revealed on your payment agreement).

Joyceyblank says thanks to jhan523 for this post.