MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Culture as an excuse for racism Rossclot General Discussion 14 03-06-2010 01:13 PM
Racism at MAC Energy44 General Discussion 25 12-06-2009 03:24 PM

Racism at Mac

Old 11-01-2009 at 12:17 PM   #46
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Wtf? He has his facts straight. "My friend applied to be (an exec, as he later clarified)." Fact. "My friend suspects racism." Fact.

It's not a bad thing to relay facts even if they 'smear' the credibility of an organization. The organization, if it's really a credible organization and not racist, its own actions will speak for itself.
His roommate was explicitly stating (possible joking) that the CSA is racist. Fact.

The other member is just clearing things up. Because it can be interpreted that Jeff Chan is implying that the CSA is racist.

What if I wrote "I have a friend who thinks Mowicz should take a shower, he smells really bad"

I wrote "facts" (this is all hypothetical btw) but it's the same thing.

You would (inb4 you would not) be offended by that and tell me to get my facts straight, or tell me to tell my friend to get his facts straight.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:24 PM   #47
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
His roommate was explicitly stating (possible joking) that the CSA is racist. Fact.

The other member is just clearing things up. Because it can be interpreted that Jeff Chan is implying that the CSA is racist.

What if I wrote "I have a friend who thinks Mowicz should take a shower, he smells really bad"

You would (inb4 you would not) be offended by that and tell me to get my facts straight, or tell me to tell my friend to get his facts straight.
No actually. For one thing, I'd take my beef up with your friend, and not you...that's the point I'm trying to make.

If you said "I have a friend who thinks you smell like a dung heap" (unless of course you don't actually have a friend who thinks that and it's simply your way of insulting me) then that's a fact...whether or not I actually do.

So to put it differently, suppose I do get offended (and hence I knew who your friend was...if I didn't, then obviously I wouldn't get offended since I wouldn't care). I'd say "That's it Johnny, I'm gonna clock you one" (provided your friend's name is Johnny) and not "That's it FireDragoonX (sorry I don't know you on a first name basis), you're gonna get it!"

Infact, if you were on the level, I'd probably even appreciate that you told me. I feel Jeff_Chan's catching heat unfairly in this.

Entropy likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:28 PM   #48
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Best book on racial identity I have ever read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_in_August
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:33 PM   #49
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:

The fact would be that your friend thinks Mowicz should take a shower b/c he smells bad, not that Mowicz actually smells bad.

The fact is that his friend applied for a position and speculates that he was rejected based on race, the fact is not that the CSA is indeed racist, it is simply a fact that Jeff Chan's friend thinks they are.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:38 PM   #50
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
During one of my physics labs one of the T.A.s kept on telling each and every Asian person in the lab to "put their first name first and last name last". Whether or not we make a big deal out of is another story. I personally thought it was hilarious that there was a TA stupid enough to believe that we didn't understand the instruction the first time.
Actually, as a new-found grader of assignments, this is a severe problem. I haven't made the emphasis in my tutorial, but when grading sometimes I get very irritated when I'm searching through my class list for "Jung Wu" (fictitious name) and I'm not sure if it's "Wu Jung" because there also happens to be one of those in the class. So I have to do it by student number, which wouldn't you know it, the students have both neglected to put on their assignments. S:

It's quite a severe problem...it sounds silly, but it's really not, and I don't think it's racist, it's just a fact that asians do that.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:39 PM   #51
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
The fact is that his friend applied for a position and speculates that he was rejected based on race, the fact is not that the CSA is indeed racist, it is simply a fact that Jeff Chan's friend thinks they are.
Furthermore, to really drive the point home, it should be emphasized that it's not a fact that Jeff_Chan thinks they are. It's only a fact that his friend does.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:40 PM   #52
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

He tried that more or less for the hell of it. Btw, he wasn't actually dead serious going "omg CSA is racist!!1! I hatez them!". Hell he still wears the free Tshirt he got at the general meeting. -__-

It just makes for a funny story.

Side note, I'm also already in CSA.

Second side note: Why do most people include my last name when referring to me? It's *really* kinda awkward >__>
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:43 PM   #53
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
econd side note: Why do most people include my last name when referring to me? It's *really* kinda awkward >__>
*points to your username*

Why do people call me Mowicz?
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:44 PM   #54
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
the fact is not that the CSA is indeed racist, it is simply a fact that Jeff Chan's friend thinks they are.
mhmm, and this is what the other person was clearing up.

Maybe Jeff Chan got a little heat for it, but he did post the comment. And he did not say the CSA was not racist. Leading people to believe that Jeff Chan is implying that the CSA is racist.

It's all about the implications with your words.
"Everyone I talk to says Mowicz smells like shit"

Implying that Mowicz might smell like shit.

And so Mowicz would respond, "get your facts straight, I don't smell bro"

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 11-01-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Biee likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:46 PM   #55
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Maybe Jeff Chan got a little heat for it, but he did post the comment. And he did not say the CSA was not racist. Thereby leading people to believe that Jeff Chan is implying that the CSA is racist.
But who's been lead? The only person making a big deal out of it (besides the people defending him, and you for trying to clear things up now) was Biee.

Why would they be trying to clarify things for themselves, if they already understood?
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:50 PM   #56
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
*points to your username*

Why do people call me Mowicz?
Well there's not many regular users here named "Jeff", so most people would automatically know who you're referring to.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:53 PM   #57
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Mowicz: I want to tell you that as a human being, and as a person from a racially and culturally diverse family, your post made me tear up ( well, except for those last couple of paragraphs ).

I rarely find anyone else who shares that idea about colourblindness -- or "gets" it, anyway.

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 12:57 PM   #58
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Actually, as a new-found grader of assignments, this is a severe problem. I haven't made the emphasis in my tutorial, but when grading sometimes I get very irritated when I'm searching through my class list for "Jung Wu" (fictitious name) and I'm not sure if it's "Wu Jung" because there also happens to be one of those in the class. So I have to do it by student number, which wouldn't you know it, the students have both neglected to put on their assignments. S:

It's quite a severe problem...it sounds silly, but it's really not, and I don't think it's racist, it's just a fact that asians do that.
Oh, I didn't really have an issue with asking students to write their names "First name Last Name". That's understandable.

But she came up to me (and other Asians) repeatedly and kept on telling me, in a very slow voice, to write my name properly. Keep in mind that I was born in Canada and English is my first and only language. I just found it humorous.
Old 11-01-2009 at 01:00 PM   #59
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Oh, I didn't really have an issue with asking students to write their names "First name Last Name". That's understandable.

But she came up to me (and other Asians) repeatedly and kept on telling me, in a very slow voice, to write my name properly. Keep in mind that I was born in Canada and English is my first and only language. I just found it humorous.
I think I would have wanted to smack her, LOL!
Old 11-01-2009 at 01:05 PM   #60
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
It's quite a severe problem...it sounds silly, but it's really not, and I don't think it's racist, it's just a fact that NOT ALL asians do that.
fixed

yeah usually people just joke about it, but some joke about it constantly, and it really does get to the point where i become uncomfortable. it's not just like the occasional line here and there, but like a comment every 5 mins. it's like alright buddy take a break.