MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live in Mills for a week and raise money for libraries in India:) sosmcmaster Volunteering Opportunities 8 01-12-2011 01:28 PM
Want to be a tutor and raise money for charity? :) sosmcmaster Volunteering Opportunities 0 01-09-2011 01:29 PM
Wanna Live In Mills For A Week To Fund Raise For Libraries In India? sohanin Volunteering Opportunities 4 12-02-2010 12:44 PM
RAISE YOUR MARKS & HELP TO RAISE ROOFS! Exam revies- chem, math, physics, commerce dd1991 Academics 2 12-02-2010 12:39 PM
Glute ham raise machine andrewjdg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-26-2010 01:31 PM

How to Raise Children being an Athiest?

Old 06-22-2011 at 04:20 PM   #31
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
Who's your girlfriend Ted Mosby? Just tell us now so we can stop watching your crappy show.
i know right? it seems like every episode, ted's all like "kids, here's the ending of the episode, but to show you how we got here, i got to show you the beginning of the episode"
Old 06-22-2011 at 04:44 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
I second this. Did the "circle of life" remind anyone else of the Lion King?

I was raised Catholic. I can't honestly say that I identify with the religion anymore, but when I was 6 years old and my Great Grandma passed away, I asked my parents where she'd gone to, and their response (that she went to Heaven) was a huge comfort to me at the time. I loved the idea that she was watching over me and protecting me, and that one day I'd get to see her again.

Now that I'm older, and have better critical thinking skills, I don't buy into the idea of Heaven anymore (even though it would be awesome if it existed... but really?). I'm not sure that teaching the idea to your kids is "deceptive"... more like "well-meaning". I'll probably tell my kids that when they die, they'll go to Heaven, only because it's a nice thought and they'll probably outgrow it one day on their own (if not, that's cool too). Whatever it takes to make them feel better and stop crying, haha.
Whisky.

And personally, that seems like the more moral route...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

marcie likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 07:31 PM   #33
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
My main question what answer could I possibly give to the question "What happens when we die, Dad?" to my children at an innocent age. Help!
Tell them, "I don't know yet, but once I die, I'll let you know."
Old 06-22-2011 at 08:43 PM   #34
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

The only thing you can responsibly tell a child is the truth. Problem is you don't know shit about what happens when we die. So don't tell them anything that you can't be sure about.

Last edited by Mazer : 06-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2011 at 08:49 PM   #35
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Fuck, if people only opened their mouths when they knew what they were talking about we'd have so many less problems.
Old 06-23-2011 at 06:13 AM   #36
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
The only thing you can responsibly tell a child is the truth. .
OK, so then no-one can responsibly tell a child anything, by your standards.

Old 06-23-2011 at 06:53 AM   #37
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

"What happens when we die, Dad?"

"Well son/daughter, if you're a good boy/girl who brushes your teeth, gets good grades, and listens to your mom and dad, you go to heaven where lightposts are made of chocolate and cars are dragons. If you do drugs, have sex, or swear, you go to hell where charizard forces you to watch "from justin to kelly" every 2 hours".

lawleypop, Mahratta like this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 12:43 PM   #38
Crypt

Liked: 1 Time

Why are we worried about our kids falling for the "sin" of religion?
Lol....in all seriousness, teach them what you can. If they decide to follow a "religion", so be it.
Most of the religions in the world are peaceful, and the whole point is so that they can find out for themselves. Maybe they need to follow a religion for a while, and then give up on it after... for some ppl u have to fail first to get it.
So relax....

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 06-23-2011 at 12:55 PM   #39
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I was raised Roman Catholic, but I never felt like those views were forced upon me. Like, we went to church, but I was never expected to read the Bible or anything, I just had to sit there quietly and not disturb anyone. I got Confirmed in grade 8, and attended Catholic schools all of my life (until university). The big thing in my life was choice: in grade 8, my parents asked me if I wanted to go through with my Confirmation or not, and that they wouldn't be disappointed if I chose not to. I chose to be Confirmed, and chose to attend Catholic schools. I think the big part of this is choice; if you let your kids choose for themselves without placing your personal bias upon them (after a certain age, obviously when they're 4 they won't be able to think about these things for themselves), you'll be fine.

traveler10, UlteriorMtve like this.