MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
random q: pmariano Academics 3 01-03-2012 01:48 PM
a few random questions for help Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-23-2010 11:22 PM
Random question ... kirsten..! Residence & Housing 11 07-04-2010 02:08 PM

random grave yards...???

Old 07-21-2015 at 10:13 PM   #1
jikim

Liked: 0 Times

random grave yards...???
I go on walks in the residential area near campus, usually the streets branching off from main st w.
(the more "nature-y" trails have worms hanging from trees and it scares the crap out of me..so pavement it is)

I noticed that there are these random grave yards (really small, with maybe five tombstones)
near people's backyards. Not exactly IN someone's backyard, but in those patches of land where backyard meets forest, etc.

I used to live in a part of Oakville where houses are less than 10 years old, so I'm not exactly used to seeings these things. I wasn't born in Canada either, so maybe I'm missing out on something lol

so...is this a common thing in hamilton?
Old 07-21-2015 at 10:34 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Can't speak to commonality, but it makes sense to North American history: It's a relatively young country (canada), so a lot of our development has respected the previous indigenous populations' Graves, or early settlers' burial grounds. If I were to contrast to Europe, which has been long established, they seperated burial from other land uses long before!
Old 07-21-2015 at 10:43 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Europe has been digging up its dead to free space for new stiffs for centuries, some churches there have piles of bones just laying under the flooring. So yeah, Europe was a model of efficiency even before the holocaust.
Old 07-22-2015 at 10:03 AM   #4
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
...some churches there have piles of bones just laying under the flooring.
Some are made with bones

http://www.ossuary.eu/index.php/en/ossuary