MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
African Lion Safariiiii lux Academics 3 02-06-2011 10:56 AM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
No busses to African Lion Safari? lawleypop Automotive & Transportation 15 03-05-2010 01:02 PM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Rant Against Windows (And flame against OS X Lion)

Old 08-17-2011 at 10:44 AM   #1
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Rant Against Windows (And flame against OS X Lion)
In the past, I have had little to say about why I switched to a mac beyond the icon "it just works".
Today, after using windows for work regularly for the past 4 months, I come to you with renewed reasons.
Sure they may not seem extreme, but it makes a WORLD of difference for me.

First of all, I will note that I am stuck on Windows Vista.

Anyways, so here's my problem. In my current position I am creating mass amounts of quotes and invoices, every single one of them, I save to pdf form. I then need to be able to track what is going on with each event. Now, you'd think that you'd be best to just get software to track that. Well, the best option is a piece of software that has notable bugs that haven't been fixed since the days of Windows XP SP2 release.

Anyways, the reason that I rant about Windows over a mac on this? Automator and search tools.
If I were on a mac, I could a) search out all the generic items I am looking for inside multiple folders without waiting an eon. b) have pre-saved searches which use the titles of the documents to determine which events are when. c) Use automator to read titles of articles and create a document with all the details I need sorted in database fashion. d) all of the above without installing anything and barely blinking an eye

I can't stand the search functionality in Windows. It's not necessarily broken, it's just not... capable.

Next up, Windowing. Windows 7 fixed their biggest flaw with AeroSnap. But note that I'm still stuck on Vista. Most windows in Windows either stay full screen or the borders and headers waste so much space the windows remain large. Now, in opposition to OS X, Lion has done 3 things which ruined it's head's up advantage over Windows. 1) it took out Expose for all windows and left mission control which still hides windows I want to see, even if I have a billion open. 2) it made the four corners for resizing, (odd that I'm complaining about this?) I complain because the corner is no longer easily selectable to resize the window, you now have to sit the cursor around the edge until it finally finds the correct part of the edge (only milliseconds lost, but it adds up) 3) It added borders and enlarged the headers in each window, too much wasted pixel space for me.

Anyways. Battery life doesn't matter, I'm on a desktop. Multiple screens, Lion killed any prospect of advantage in that area. Multiple desktops, useful at home, not really at work. Application launching, Windows got that one down better then a mac. Gaming, I don't game. Cost, this is a company computer. Microsoft Outlook, I would be stuck on it anyways, but I do prefer it over Mac Mail for business stuff. Still not a nice program. CAPS LOCK, stupid thing but, if I have caps lock on in windows and hit shift, I get a small letter, caps lock in a mac, the lettering stay large with caps lock. I have a habit of hitting the shift key on names and such, so Mac wins on that.
Saving stuff! On a mac, you can customize what shows up on the quick-link sidebar, and it changes everywhere. On windows, I find that side only gives the basic, and can't change it.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I can't stand file management in windows.

If anyone has any solutions to what I'm complaining about I wELCOME them. Installs are less preferable as I don't have the admin password.

L'Étoile says thanks to kldv for this post.

Cliu91 likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:40 AM   #2
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Don't even get my started on Windows 98! i swear, they haven't released an update for that in ages! -.-
Old 08-17-2011 at 12:40 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
Don't even get my started on Windows 98! i swear, they haven't released an update for that in ages! -.-
I'm pretty sure they don't support 98 any more...

I'm really disappointed that aerosnap doesn't work between screens on multiscreens. Sure you can use the hot keys but it's time consuming when my hand is already on the mouse :\
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:27 PM   #4
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Who the hell still uses Windows 98...
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:47 PM   #5
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
I'm pretty sure he's making fun of the op for using Vista.

Old 08-17-2011 at 01:49 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Don't even get my started on Windows 98! i swear, they haven't released an update for that in ages! -.- /sarcasm
For the benefit of people reading the thread...
EDIT: kinda ninja'd

Last edited by britb : 08-17-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:51 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't support 98 any more...

I'm really disappointed that aerosnap doesn't work between screens on multiscreens. Sure you can use the hot keys but it's time consuming when my hand is already on the mouse :\
Lmao, it's called sarcasm.

EDIT:

Kinda moar ninja'ed
Old 08-17-2011 at 02:19 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

LoL Vista

/end of thread
Old 08-17-2011 at 02:48 PM   #9
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdudeukno View Post
The IT department at mac uses windows 98. Its what the MUGSI/SOLAR server runs on.
Old 08-17-2011 at 02:51 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
The IT department at mac uses windows 98. Its what the MUGSI/SOLAR server runs on.
Even THAT doesnt explain it's horribleness.
Old 08-17-2011 at 05:22 PM   #11
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Despite being stuck on Vista. 7 doesn't fix the stuff that I'm ranting about.
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:40 PM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Solution:

Bring this up at your next meeting. Explain how you can be more efficient using a different OS. Don't forget to bust out pie charts! Everyone likes pie charts....
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:13 PM   #13
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Guess you need to use linux.
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:18 PM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Solution:

Bring this up at your next meeting. Explain how you can be more efficient using a different OS. Don't forget to bust out pie charts! Everyone likes pie charts....
YES! But PLEASE don't use the default 5 colours or cabrini font. People can tell in a second... - >9000 points.

ie; does this not scream default?

/end rant